Schinkenspeck

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 16, 2012 04:13

Jan talk to the local appliance shops. They often provide a free disposal service to homeowners when they deliver a new fridge..
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 04:16

Ross,
I thought of that already but I am still thinking what the best fridge would be for my project, either an all fridge or a combination fridge/deepfreeze with the freezer section in the bottom.
Some informed advise will follow for sure.
Regards,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 24, 2016 23:06

Schinkenspeck
Portion of ham (hind leg), 2.5% salt, .25% #2, .5% sugar, rosemary, juniper berries. Equilibrium cured for 3 weeks, cold smoked (8-12C) for 40 hours in 4 day period, 5 weeks in curing chamber. Wunderbar und Köstlich!

BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 01:47

BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 02:16

Originally I did a complete write up on this on August 2011 -- powers to be at the time decided to delete anything I posted

No Rosemary in the original recipe -- juniper berries, cloves, sugar, garlic just off the top of my head (laptop in for repairs that has my recipes on) -- cold smoked over a period of time with fir and juniper then aged/matured
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 25, 2016 06:51

Your looks good Robert, mainly because of the marbling and the nice fat layer. But I'm really happy with mine and surprised how mild the smoke flavour is after 40 hours in the smoker. And the sugar also does comes through despite the relatively small amount and the fact that the absorption of sugar into the meat takes 10 times as long as salt.

I do have some irridescence, but that does not have any impact on the flavour. I added rosemary mainly because I have it growing in my backyard and I like the flavour. Next time I will also add garlic but have to wait until whole legs go on sale.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15

redzed wrote:I do have some irridescence, but that does not have any impact on the flavour. I added rosemary mainly because I have it growing in my backyard and I like the flavour. Next time I will also add garlic but have to wait until whole legs go on sale.
Is that not birefringence? Duller knife, change your angle of your slice or a fattier piece of meat would eliminate this I would think.

http://meat.tamu.edu/2013/01/22/rainbow ... red-meats/
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Mar 25, 2016 14:58

BriCan wrote: (laptop in for repairs that has my recipes on)
Hey Brican, who is repairing your laptop? I'll send him a bribe and a memory stick for a copy of the recipes : :lol:
Phil
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 16:54

Shuswap wrote:
BriCan wrote: (laptop in for repairs that has my recipes on)
Hey Brican, who is repairing your laptop? I'll send him a bribe and a memory stick for a copy of the recipes : :lol:
You know how yo hit a feller when he's down ;)

Staples -- Burnaby ....... but in all honesty I did not think my stuff was worth much :roll:
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 17:07

redzed wrote:Your looks good Robert, mainly because of the marbling and the nice fat layer.
The trick is to use the sow legs if you can get hold of them -- the slaughterhouse where I get some of my pork from processes 8 to 16 a week
But I'm really happy with mine and surprised how mild the smoke flavour is after 40 hours in the smoker. And the sugar also does comes through despite the relatively small amount and the fact that the absorption of sugar into the meat takes 10 times as long as salt.
Did you age/mature for sometime after smoking ?

My mentor (German from the Black Forest area) showed me how to make these, not strictly as most would do (dry cure) but as a dry cure with salt and then into a cooked brine
I added rosemary mainly because I have it growing in my backyard and I like the flavour. Next time I will also add garlic but have to wait until whole legs go on sale.
It is always good to experiment with recipes to see how far we can go :grin:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Mar 25, 2016 19:42

BriCan wrote: in all honesty I did not think my stuff was worth much
Robert, I have a file of every post you have done on any forum about your maple bacon, which is now our staple using organic berkshire bellies :roll:
Phil
Kaiser Soze

Post by Kaiser Soze » Sat Nov 05, 2016 15:38

Wow!!!!!
That looks just like the Schinken I miss from Friedrichshafen. My Tante Resi knew a farmer who made the best Birnen Schnaps and Schinken and I lived on it every time I visited her. I was always amazed it was not more readily available here though. Now I'm going to make my own and all I will miss is my Tante

Thanks for the direction.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 07, 2016 16:43

Kaiser go for it! One of the easiest products to make. Packed with flavour and a wonderful buttery texture of the ham meat. Pork legs go on sale here usually right after Christmas, so I will be buying several and making more.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Shinkenspeck

Post by sausagemaneric » Thu Dec 20, 2018 16:58

So I made some Shinkenspeck for my Christmas Smoke House adventure this year. I made it according to Rytek's recipe in the his book. Which quite different than the Shinkenspeck in the Sticky on this page. I used a sirloin for the middle and belly for the rap. Brined them according to his recipe using the salt, cure, dextrose, dried ground juniper berries and white pepper. Real nice product. The recipe say to use a real small amount of smoke. I think if I'd used less smoke it would have nicer flavor characteristics with the white pepper and juniper berries. To qualify that statement.....I took a chunk of the cured/uncooked ham and gently boiled it. The flavor of the white pepper and juniper berries was amazing. I would like to post some pictures, but I think this forum still uses Photo Bucket?....I'd likely stick needles in my eyes than try and use Photo Bucket.
V465
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Thu Dec 20, 2018 22:58

Well,
I'm trying to figure out how to upload some photos.............................but I don't see it happening with the instructions on this forum. I will need to get my wife's assistance.
V465