Curing Chamber

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Curing Chamber

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat May 14, 2016 12:54

After starting this hobby 6 months ago and drilling a hole into a condenser line on a perfectly good refrigerator, and having to buy a new one, drilling another hole in the side, and telling my wife that the swimming pool refreshment refrigerator will still be used for refreshments during the summer season,,,,she finally accepted she is not getting the refrigerator back for refreshments. LOL Now that I am hanging whole muscles, they take a while and I lost my timing for using it for fermentation. I went to Costco this week and bought a 4.7 cubic foot mini fridge only and ordered another auber controller, this time only a single action instead of dual action. Apparently you can use it for heat or cool, but not at the same time. The same unit will do humidify or dehumidify, but not at the same time. The mini fridge will be used for fermentation only, so I figured I probably only need heat and humidity, not cool or dehumidify. The mini will only be used for fermentation,,,,then this becomes her new refreshment fridge for the swimming pool. The fridge was 147.00 and the controller was 128.00. I still have a mini heater from the last experiment and all I need is a small humidifier. I am planning on not even drilling this one out and running the wires thru the door gasket. :razz:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat May 14, 2016 14:53

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and am still looking for another fridge. However, I realized you don't need freon for fermentation I have kept the fridge for that purpose and just continued drilling through the wall for installation of a fan. :oops:
Phil
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat May 14, 2016 16:07

Lou-
You wont need a humidifier, as long as it isn't a frost free unit. Humidity will stay 95+ just from the moisture leaving the sausage due to the salt.
The only controller you needed was a temperature controller...you are only fermenting for 1-3 days.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 14, 2016 16:35

This is the plug and play controller I use when fermenting in my cooler. When bought it about 18 months ago it was only 15 bucks. Works well and is easy to set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230-110VAC-Mini ... Swa39UxEs9
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat May 14, 2016 16:41

I have the same one and use it for Sous Vide....it even has an offset and can be calibrated.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat May 14, 2016 16:54

I am assuming if I use it for fermentation only, I dont need fans hopefully? I only want to use this for fermentation and then flip it to cool, remove the controller for cocktails
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat May 14, 2016 17:35

Simple set up Lou, no fans necessary. You just need the right temp and high humidity. I use basically a wooden box with a heat source and temp controler.
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Mon May 30, 2016 18:06

Can Bresaola and Coppa be cured at the same time and humidity? Also could you introduce a salami or two after they get past there initial cure? I am trying to figure out how to maximize curing chamber space.

I also have a extra refrigerator that can be converted.

I have a 22cu.ft. freezer (with the hole in the coil problem) that I was thinking could be used as a fermenter as most cures need higher temprature anyway. Just add a heat source.

John
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue May 31, 2016 02:34

I have 2 coppa, 2 bresaola and 3 10 pound soppressa's in mine now. The unit is 16 cubic feet. I have a dehumidifier in it and it's holding 79% right now. That's about as low as I can get it for now, but it's working well
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue May 31, 2016 02:56

Hi John,

No problem. I think most of us have multiple items in the curing chamber, while adding new product and taking what's ready out. While it would be nice to have one batch of product in there all the time, we don't have that luxury. Ideally we should be drying at higher RH at the early stages in the upper 80s and then gradually reducing to the mid 70s. Those that are fortunate enough to own a water activity meter, keep adjusting their RH at 10 points below the aW reading. I try to keep my RH at around 80 all the time and whenever I add product the humidity spikes upward. To compensate I turn down my humidistat and cycle the ventilation fan more often. It is also a good idea to move the products around every several days and make sure none are touching.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue May 31, 2016 03:21

partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Jun 02, 2016 02:23

I guess part of the success of fermenting and drying sausage is controlling humidity.
Can anywone give me some advice as to where to find a reasonably priced humidistat? I now have four of the ten dollar dial type and guess what they all read different. About 15 point variation.

John
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 02, 2016 06:08

John, are you referring to a humidistat or hygrometer? These days the go controller is the Auber TH210. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=377

It has a specially designed humidity sensor that will be more accurate in a high humidity environment. You can buy also buy a plug and play controller by Inkbird on Amazon or if you are good at wiring there are many options available on Amazon, eBay or direct from China on Aliexpress.

As far as hygrometers, I have 3 in my curing chamber and they all vary by as much as 10. Last year I calibrated two them, so they read 75% after 12 hours eclosed with a pan of salt water, but as soon as I put them into my curing chamber, they were 5% apart. :shock:
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Fri Jun 03, 2016 13:43

sorry I meant to say hygrometer. I have a Green air controler witch works great but I have learned to allways doubble check. I screwed up a bunch of sulami (CW's project) and am trying to ovoid a repeat.

John
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jun 03, 2016 14:04

This one can be calibrated. It stays in sync with my Auburn 210 controller + - 2%

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Humidor-C ... X8?ie=UTF8&

Don't bother with the inexpensive ones.