Turkey Bratwurst

redzed

Turkey Bratwurst

Post by redzed » Mon Jun 13, 2016 17:28

Over the weekend I made a batch of turkey brats. Essentially I made a traditional German sausage except that I substituted turkey meat for the veal. I used 2.5 kg pork trimmings from leg and loin, 0.5kg back fat and 1.5kg dark and white turkey meat. Off the grill they tasted great, accompanied with some good mustard of course. Like most German fresh style sausages they are mild tasting but quite aromatic and with a harmonic spice combination.

Recipe for 1kg of meat

Pork, approx. 20% fat, 550g
Meat from whole turkey, 350g
Back fat, 100g

Salt, 17g
White pepper, finely ground, 3g
Caraway, toasted and ground 1g
Nutmeg, 1g
Ginger, .5g
Garlic, fresh, 3g
Marjoram, rubbed, .5g
Sugar, 3g
Beaten egg, 1
Whole milk, 50ml

Cube meat and fat, add all ingredients, mix well and refrigerate overnight in sealed container. Next day grind everything once through the 3mm plate. And the milk and beaten egg mix until you have a sticky mass. Stuff into whatever size hog casings are on hand. Refrigerate sausages for a few hours allowing them to set and the spices to blend. Freeze the portion that will not be consuming within two days. Fire up the grill and make sure you have plenty of mustard and beer on hand.

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jun 13, 2016 19:24

Those look great. Brats are one of my all time favorites.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jun 15, 2016 14:50

Yea those do look really good! Especially now when outdoor grillin weather is now in full swing.