Bubba's Kabanosy

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Aug 14, 2016 21:23

Round #2 with my new smoker, this time I made a small batch of Kabanosy. The Amazin smoker now has an air pipe blowing air over the tray and it made a good difference.
Then I had one step forward, one back; half way through the smoke time, the new smoker controller kept shutting off intermittently.
I reverted back to my old faithful hot plate, got a usable temperature setting to maintain around 130 to 140 F while smoking.
Had to resort to a warm water submersion at 160F to get the 155F IMT.

At this point, even though the smoker still has a warranty, I'm thinking of just retrofitting this new smoker with a temperature controller I bought a while back but never used it. At least for this controller I can buy individual parts. And with the original controller fitted to the smoker I found the temperature range unreliable, the cabinet construction is good though.

Most of all the Kabanosy came out very good, not over smoked and good flavor. Took some along to my daughter and granddaughter this weekend in Florida, they both gave it the official stamp of approval:- don't change anything :lol:

Photo below taken at beginning of smoking

Hung for 3 days to dry

Ron
Rich
User
User

Post by Rich » Mon Aug 15, 2016 06:50

Look very tasty !!

Cheers,

Rich
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 15, 2016 16:25

Hey Bubba, those are great looking kabanosy! Looks like you added a nice amount of fat, as they should be a little on the fat side. Too bad you had to finish them them by poaching, but that was the best thing to do under the circumstances. Cann you take a pic of the cross section (cracked in haf, not sliced) after they are dried?
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Aug 16, 2016 17:46

Thank you Rich and Redzed,

I took these photos a few days before I headed down to visit in Florida over the past weekend, and first opportunity to post these was in Florida. Yesterday was already the trip back home to South Carolina.

I will ask my daughter to take me a photo of one, at this point we have packed them in small portions to freeze for her and my granddaughter because they don't eat them all in one go.
The end effect of the snap will probably change a bit after the Kabanosy has been frozen then de-frosted.

And btw, whenever I visit my daughter and granddaughter, the list of sausages and meats I take along is pretty decent, this time I made them some Boerewors (South African traditional sausage) vacuum packed in portions and frozen, Droewors (South African dried beef sausage sticks) and of course the Kabanosy.
In future I'll do a better job of taking photos as I work on each one and post them here.

Below a photo of my granddaughter catching a soap bubble this past weekend and just having a fun time with Granddad visiting. :lol:

Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 17, 2016 16:01

Ron, you family is lucky to have you! And it's great to be able to share the fruits of your hobby with them!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Aug 18, 2016 17:58

Ron, if I were you I'd have a hard time not spoiling that little princess! She's a darling.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Aug 21, 2016 18:33

Thank you!

Here below I posted 2 photos, I know Redzed asked for one with the Kabanosy snapped, also added one of it cut.

It may be deceiving because these were frozen then defrosted, the casing is not as dry as was before freezing, and Redzed if you could please let me know how the snap looks?

Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 23, 2016 15:48

Ron those Kabanosy look perfect! I really like the meat/fat ratio. They must taste great. I had to put your posts into a separate topic so that others can peruse in the future. How about posting the recipe?
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Aug 24, 2016 01:18

Thank you Redzed!

I will post the recipe in the morning, and always glad to contribute to the forum.
Ron
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Aug 25, 2016 00:42

I used Stan Marianski`s basic recipe and altered the meat to fat ratio because I prefer a Kabanosy with less fat.
A long time ago I generated a spreadsheet where I can enter the meat weights and it automatically enters the spice ratios. This is the scaled down by weight recipe:-
3.25 lbs (1.5 kg) Lean Pork
0.75 lbs (0.3 kg) Pork Trimmings
33 gram Salt - non iodized
4.5 gram Instacure #1
4 gram Sugar
4 gram Black Pepper
1 gram Nutmeg
1 gram Caraway
150 ml Cold Water

Lean Pork meats I ground through the coarse Plate, Pork trimmings through the medium plate, both meats semi frozen.
Mixed all the spices and cure in the ice cold water, mixed with the meat until the sticky ends develop (about 10 minutes)
Stuffed in 18 - 20 mm Sheep casings, linked them at 8 " simply because it`s easier to handle that way for me.
I have a dedicated refrigerator for my hobby where I hung the links overnight (about 12 hours) to take a mingling nap and dry on the surface. Next morning I applied smoke for about 3 hours at 120 F (original recipe calls for 1 hour smoke but my smoke generation is slow)
This following step I only performed because my smoker heat controller acted up, normally I would have increased the temperature incrementally in 10 F up to 160 / 170F until the IMT was 150 F, so I submerged the links in 160F warm water to finish off to 150F IMT.
Placed in cold water immediately until the IMT was about 90 F, then hung at room temperature to bloom for about 4 hours, with a fan blowing over the links.
Thereafter hung in the refrigerator for 4 days. This refrigerator has the humidity control, and after 4 days they had lost enough weight to be at eating stage. Ok I cheated, every day I sampled a small piece, the temptation was too big.
On this batch I did not weigh the links before hanging to dry, next batch I will weigh. By estimation they lost about 30 to 40% weight while drying.
Last edited by Bubba on Thu Aug 25, 2016 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Ron