Emulsion instead of binders.

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Emulsion instead of binders.

Post by fatboyz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 04:58

One of the things I have learned from a Swiis sausage maker here in Rocky Mountain House is the use of a base emulsion instead of binders. In all his cured and fresh sausage he uses about 25 percent base emulsion instead of any binders. This makes his products all gluten and dairy free ( other than Weisswurst which has frozen milk instead of ice). Since I got my cutter I now make base emulsion for all my non fermented cured sausages and all fresh sausage. Makes a wonderful texture and no fillers or binders.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Emulsion instead of binders.

Post by BriCan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 06:00

fatboyz wrote:One of the things I have learned from a Swiis sausage maker here in Rocky Mountain House is the use of a base emulsion instead of binders. In all his cured and fresh sausage he uses about 25 percent base emulsion instead of any binders. This makes his products all gluten and dairy free ( other than Weisswurst which has frozen milk instead of ice).
Now thats a new one to me -- frozen milk in weisswurst, care to expand on this please
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 06:47

Yup, when making Weisswurst in a silent cutter instead of ice we use slightly watered down frozen milk. That's partly why it's so white. We also add part of a whole lemon, no seeds, and fresh onion. When you slow BBQ it the milk also helps make it golden brown, almost like roasting a marshmallow.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Sep 01, 2016 17:48

Ok So what is the base emulsion made from so that it can be used with all types of sausage? A binder or filler ( like NFDM or Soy Protein) helps to retain moisture and decrease "shrinkage".

Not disagreeing with the method just discussing the reason for an "emulsion binder"
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 23:41

Bob I'll explain as best I can. The base emulsion is made like a normal emulsion but with a slightly higher fat content, salt and white pepper and some cutter phosphate are the spices. When you calculate the required spice for your meat block you don't include the emulsion, just the ground meat. They use about 25% emulsion. The emulsion acts as the binder and no fillers, binders or soy are required, or milk powder. This makes them all gluten and milk free. This seems to be the standard practice in Switzerland and Germany from what they tell me. I have adopted the process myself and have had excellent results. The down side is you need a cutter. Does that make sense? This is for fresh and smoked sausages not the semi dry landjaeger, pepper salami types.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 23:47

Bob, the emulsion is 50% pork, or pork/wild game in my case (50/50), 25% back or shoulder fat and 25% ice. 15g/kg salt and 2g/kg white pepper. I make 4 kg in a batch in my buffalo chopper. If it's for fresh sausage that's it, if for a smoked sausage I also ad 3G/kg of Prague.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Sep 02, 2016 00:35

fatboyz wrote:The base emulsion is made like a normal emulsion but with a slightly higher fat content, salt and white pepper and some cutter phosphate are the spices.
Phosphates are used a lot to retain moisture and as a substitute for fillers
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Sep 02, 2016 03:00

fatboyz wrote:When you calculate the required spice for your meat block you don't include the emulsion, just the ground meat.
I don't think that you know what are you talking about. recipe is a "RECIPE" with everything including spices, binders, meat, processing etc.
fatboyz wrote:In all his cured and fresh sausage
What is mean, what kind of sausage cured or fresh?
fatboyz wrote:In all his cured and fresh sausage he uses about 25 percent base emulsion instead of any binders.
What do you mean - binders?
I have made a many different kind of products but NEVER used any kind of binder, - soy, milk. Only regular staff - follow recipes - Of course if you want rewrite of processing of food - go ahead........
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 03:45

Bob I use 2g/kg of phosphate in the emulsion.
Stefan when I say the amount of spice for just the meat block here is what I mean. If I use 10kg of ground meat and 3 Kg of emulsion. I only measure out spice based on 10kg not 13. Not sure if it's a language issue, here fresh sausage is sausage without red salt (cure) such as hot Italian, maple breakfast, English breakfast etc. Cured sausage is smoked sausage like garlic sausage, kielbasa, cheese smokies, etc. Which contain nitrate salt. Most home processors here use commercial mixes that contain bread crumbs, milk powder etc. As a binder. This shop caters quite heavily to hunters. Our season started last week, and last year this shop made 65,000 pounds of wild game sausage. I hope this makes things a little clearer.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 05:19

fatboyz wrote:Bob, the emulsion is 50% pork, or pork/wild game in my case (50/50), 25% back or shoulder fat and 25% ice. 15g/kg salt and 2g/kg white pepper. I make 4 kg in a batch in my buffalo chopper. If it's for fresh sausage that's it, if for a smoked sausage I also ad 3G/kg of Prague.
Emulsions that I was taught to make via a German sausage maker (my mentor) was just strait shoulder meat with salt and ice -- the emulsion is what binds the product together

Now if we are talking about fresh sausage made in the cutter then it is not a true emulsion in the sense that most talk about emulsions :)
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 05:26

Bob K wrote:Ok So what is the base emulsion made from so that it can be used with all types of sausage? A binder or filler ( like NFDM or Soy Protein) helps to retain moisture and decrease "shrinkage".

Not disagreeing with the method just discussing the reason for an "emulsion binder"
If "true" emulsions are made the right way (not pushing the process beyond the breaking point) then there is no need for any fillers/binders of any type at all

The "only" reason that phosphate milk powder Soy protein are used is to make extra $$ in the trade

Using a cutter properly one can make a wholesome product that is by far much better than ones that have the additives -- no shrink, no moisture loss
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 05:37

Brican, if everything is good and I don't over cut the emulsion can I leave out the phosphate? At Halfords they suggest phosphate in they're summer sausage mixes to get a better slicing texture.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 05:42

fatboyz wrote: When you calculate the required spice for your meat block you don't include the emulsion, just the ground meat.
I think that one needs to re-address this ...

This is not a put down by all means, but in the 55 years that I have been making sausage and at least 40 years with a cutter ... Our recipes was based on a 40kg meat block ... 50% boneless picnic, 25% beef, and 25% jowl which by my calculation = 100% in total

The spice block is weighed according to the total weight of the meat (pork, beef, jowl), the pork, beef and jowl is all pre-ground (less strain on the cutter knives, yes I know that they can take it but real butchers are taught the right way of doing things :) )

Beef is then place into the cutter along with the salt and a small amount of ice <--- this then makes the emulsion, once the emulsion is done pork is added next and further processed and ice is added as needed -- spiced are the next thing to go in followed lastly (always) by the fat -- any additional ice is added as needed
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 05:46

Brican, I use a portion of emulsion to bind my fresh sausage. So I think other than Weisswurst all my emulsified sausage is cured. Wieners, Bologna, lyoner and Bierwurst so I guess none of the fresh sausage is a true emulsion. My Swiss mentor really likes to use bull shank meat in his beef emulsion and landjaeger for the extra colegen for natural binding. Did your German friend use emulsion to bind fresh sausage?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 05:55

Brican I gotcha now! I do exactly the same. What I was describing, and not very clearly is that if I'm making a batch of sausage and will be adding emulsion as my binder, I don't include the weight of the emulsion I'm adding to my ground meat in my total weight for calculating the amount of spice required. The emulsion already has salt and white pepper so I don't want to double up on that. If I'm making say a batch of garlic rings and a batch of smokies I make one batch of base emulsion, split it in half and add some to each product. If I used 10 pounds of ground meat for each batch my spice calculation would just be based on 10 pounds of meat for each batch, not the total weight including the emulsion added.
Last edited by fatboyz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 06:04, edited 1 time in total.