Big Mistake and Would Like Your Help

LanduytG

Big Mistake and Would Like Your Help

Post by LanduytG » Wed Sep 21, 2016 16:19

Hello, first time on this forum. Habanero Smoker from another forum suggested I post this question here. I respect his opinion and he really did not have and answer because he had never ran across this before.

I'm curing bacon and have done this many times. I normally use Morton Tender Quick for my cure. Well this time I was out but I had cure #1 in the cupboard. My recipe calls for a 1 tblsp of cure for #1 of meat. Without thinking I used the cure #1 to that rate. For whatever reason 48 hours later I realized what I had done. His recommendation was to rinse off all the cure and tightly wrap it and put it back in the frig, then come here.

I put 48 times more cure on than was called for and it was that way for 48hrs. I rinsed it off. What can I do now if anything to save it? I'm sure 48hrs is not enough cure time but can I continue with the regular cure amount?

Any help will be appreciated.

Greg
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Sep 21, 2016 17:58

Wow, I don't think that anyone can make the decision for you. I myself would chuck it.

Recommended for Bacon is 120 ppm of cure #1.
You added approximately 18.2 grams of cure to 454 grams of meat which equals 2505 ppm.

I know that soaking the meat in water will remove salt, but cure I'm unsure of.

Anyone?
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Wed Sep 21, 2016 18:15

I did almost the same exact thing years ago. I knew I needed to convert the recipe, but was in a rush and totally forgot to do it. I realized it the next day and threw it out. To me, it was not worth the risk for a $30 piece of meat.