Sassafras

charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Sassafras

Post by charcoal junkie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 22:15

I just purchased 28lbs of pork belly I plan on curing and cold smoking. I was wondering if anyone has tried Sassafras as there smoke source? I have corn cob pellets, Apple pellets, cherry pellets, and beech pellets. I also have apple, cherry, pecan, and hickory wood chips. What do u guys reccomend?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:22

For bacon we like a Apple-Hickory combo. Sometimes oak
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Tue Sep 27, 2016 00:25

I almost always use hickory for bacon.

I've never used sassafras, but I know that it's not an uncommon wood for smoking. Although it is on this list of woods to avoid:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 005204cf60

I suspect the reason for that is because it contains safrole oil (especially in the root bark) that, in large amounts, is carcinogenic.
"Studies in the 1960s suggested that safrole was carcinogenic, causing permanent liver damage in animals. Consequently, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned sassafras and safrole for human consumption.[5]

Safrole is still regarded by FDA to be a weak carcinogen in rats.[6] However, according to a 1977 study of the metabolites of safrole in both rats and humans, two carcinogenic metabolites of safrole found in the urine of rats, 1'-hydroxysafrole and 3'-hydroxyisosafrole, were not found in human urine.[7] The European Commission on Health and consumer protection assumes safrole to be genotoxic and carcinogenic.[8] It occurs naturally in a variety of spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper, and herbs such as basil. In that role, safrole, like many naturally occurring compounds, may have a small but measurable ability to induce cancer in rodents. Despite this, the effects in humans were estimated by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory to be similar to risks posed by breathing indoor air or drinking municipally supplied water.[9] In the United States, it was once widely used as a food additive in root beer, sassafras tea, and other common goods, but was banned by the FDA after its carcinogenicity in rats was discovered. Today, safrole is also banned for use in soap and perfumes by the International Fragrance Association."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safrole

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with the "dangers" of using it. If I had some available, I'd certainly try it. It's supposed to be quite sweet.
K98 AL
User
User

Post by K98 AL » Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:32

I use a little mixed with hickory. You do NOT want to use much, it will impart a very strong taste. I particularly like it when smoking hams.