WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 13, 2016 14:43

Thanks Lou, that's a great looking recipe with very workable proportions. Always interesting to try a new fresh sausage recipe! Too bad so many people only know the supermarket variety "breakfast Sausage".
northener
User
User

Post by northener » Sun Aug 14, 2016 00:37

thks
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 15:32

I was away for the entire month of September, but after 2 days at home my wife and I were itching to see what the recent rains have brought. After 3 hours in pretty rough territory, we managed to snag 26lbs of chanterelles and one nice caulifower mushroom. Can't wait to get out to our other favourite spots!

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Oct 07, 2016 17:47

I wish we had mushrooms like that here. I'm jealous. We have a few edibles but you really have to know what you are doing and I don't. I do have a bunch that grow in the pastures but these make you see stuff that's not there.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 17:59

Morels are mostly what we get here in the mountains in areas that have had fires. You get 1-2 years after the burns.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 19:01

fatboyz wrote:Morels are mostly what we get here in the mountains in areas that have had fires. You get 1-2 years after the burns.
So it should be a great windfall next spring after what Alberta went through this year. I'll trade you some chanterelles for morels which are hard to find on Vancouver Island. :grin:
redzed

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 19:55

It's Thanksgiving Weekend here in the Great White North! I wish all my fellow Canucks a wonderful time with family, friends and a tasty turkey with home made sausage stuffing!

redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 06:27

Today's bounty from the forest: Golden and white chanterelles, lobster mushrooms and a couple of cauliflower mushrooms. That big one weighed 2.8kg (6.2lbs)!

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:56

You are reaping the bounty this year. Sadly my collection only resulted in this yesterday but this should be pretty good in itself.

She got so mad at me she lost her head.

Ended up putting her in the back of the truck while I finished some work but she stopped my heart several times because I invariably would forget she was there and be reminded when I had to get things out of the bed.

Skin for a belt or rifle sling.

And some good meat.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Oct 13, 2016 14:10

Those must keep you on your toes :!: What kind of tool is that with the antler handle?

Nice skinnin and fillet job, snakes can be easy to tear.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Oct 13, 2016 23:33

I don't worry about the snakes as much as I do the yellowjackets. The latter are awful and relentless. Not saying I'm not scared of the snakes but if I had my choice I'd rather stumble on a snake than an yellowjacket nest.

That is an Ontario knife. I broke the original handle using it as a hammer and replaced it with antler. I don't know what type steel they use but its good stuff and it can shave hair when its sharp. Good quality steel for sure.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 15, 2016 16:34

How did you prepare that snake meat? I have eaten so many unusual things but have never had snake. Around here we only have small garter snakes, rarely over a foot, so they are not worth skinning. Too bad you live so far away BB, I would gladly trade a load of chanterelles for some snake meat!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 15, 2016 16:58

That would be a trade I'd love to do!

I haven't done anything with it yet. I'm saving it for my daughter and her friends. She is bringing her friends home and two of them are from overseas and this should be a good treat for them.

Snake tastes a lot like real tender chicken. I think I'm going to make an oriental dish with this but I've had it fried, stewed, smoked and made prepared in a white sauce. The latter was really good. My aunt who is a chef and very picky loved it so that made me feel good that she raved on something so many people would cringe on. Its really pretty good. Very delicate.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Oct 23, 2016 02:36

Friend is proud of his calabrian (sp?) heritage and sent this photo to me and I thought it worth sharing. If I ever build another house I think I'll do 20 foot ceilings. :mrgreen:

K98 AL
User
User

Post by K98 AL » Fri Oct 28, 2016 13:07

Butterbean wrote:That would be a trade I'd love to do!

I haven't done anything with it yet. I'm saving it for my daughter and her friends. She is bringing her friends home and two of them are from overseas and this should be a good treat for them.

Snake tastes a lot like real tender chicken. I think I'm going to make an oriental dish with this but I've had it fried, stewed, smoked and made prepared in a white sauce. The latter was really good. My aunt who is a chef and very picky loved it so that made me feel good that she raved on something so many people would cringe on. Its really pretty good. Very delicate.
That's funny - I killed a Timber Rattler that was about identical to that one two weeks ago - my son is a Marine and comes back in two weeks. I haven't quite decided how to cook the snake when he gets here, but I saw an interesting recipe that was a lot like the Pibil the Mexicans fix around here. Slow-cooked with achiote paste, wrapped in banana leaves.