LHP CULTURE

toolhawk1
User
User

LHP CULTURE

Post by toolhawk1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 16:39

Made some SALAMI FELINO from a recipe following to a t , used LHP and cure # 2 . but just seen on a website sausagemaker.com that LHP is to be used with Cure #1, any input from your years of experience would be helpful . THANK YOU!!!
Last edited by toolhawk1 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:48

Hi Toolhawk,
Bactoferm L-HP is so fast, it requires a nitrite cure instead of a nitrate/nitrite cure. You'll be amazed how quickly it works... in far less time than it would take for nitrate (in Cure #2) to break down into nitrite for curing the meat.
If you are still confused, please ask more questions about this. I'll be happy to explain further.
Great question Toolhawk!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
toolhawk1
User
User

Post by toolhawk1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 22:12

Ok I have done some more reading since I made this mistake(i should have caught this just caught up in the moment ), so what will happen here,its been 24hrs fermenting seeing its so fast can I start lowering temp and wait to see what happens or is a lost cause , can it be saved ? I have found 3 other dry sausage recipes that call for a very similar mix.This is what I used.

Salami Felino

The next salami on my list is a Felino. Altogether a pretty good salami as salamis go the red wine was noticeable and the mouth feel a bit dry to me. While the recipe indicates that this is a mild flavored salami I found it a little strong for my taste.

I attribute this to the possibility of the deviation from the recipe in as where I should have held the salami at 80% RH for 10 days prior storing at a lower 60% humidity. As I have other salamis curing together with this batch this was a variable that I had to forgo. Altogether though, a pretty tasty salami as as salamis go.

The recipe used was as follows:

3lbs. Pork shoulder
2 lbs. Beef, lean
3/4 cup NF Powdered Milk
5tsp. Kosher salt
1 Tbs. Dextrose
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Cure #2
2 tsp. Black pepper
1/2 tsp. Sodium Erythorbate
1/4 tsp. Starter culture (LHP)
1/2 cup Red wine

The recipe was taken from:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Salami%20felino.pdf

I cased these salamis in #3 collagen casings and fermented them at 80*F and 90% RH for 24 hours. Following the fermentation process they were stored in the curing chamber for approximately 30 days at a temp. of 60* F and 70% humidity. After loosing the prescribed 30% weight I went by feel of the sausage to determine the best maturity.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 02:16

Toolhawk
Your thinking is on the right track. I have used Bactofirm LHP several times, with success. I have mentioned before, that the experienced salami makers will not share all his/her secrets to the art of successful salami making, except for Stan Marianski book "The art of making fermented sausage" if you don`t have a copy I would recommend ordering one, well worth the money!
It`s one thing to have a recipe in front of you and another to have someone help you with a project step by step. With that being said, one of my golden rules are "read the recipe more than once to get a handle on what exactly is excepted of the finished product.
As for Len`s site I have noticed that he has some interesting recipes, I have made a few myself. As mentioned above, one can provide the instructions, but the craft itself can be a whole different ball game.
On another note, the LHP instructions also states that optimal growth during the fermentation process is at 104 degrees. A majority of the recipes I have read, instruct to mature at 85 - 90 degrees.
My recommendations for the batch that you have prepared, is to keep the humidity on the upper level to prevent case hardening during the incubation process. As CW mentioned the LHP is a fast curing culture and you will find that your salamis will dry quickly.
Just my 2 cents.
Chow
Uwanna
toolhawk1
User
User

Post by toolhawk1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 03:12

Thanks for your advice!!!!! I do own the book, This was my 1st batch and seemed like an easy 1st try , I will keep the humidity high and let it go, I am going to make the same batch with a slower culture just to see the difference at the end. Again THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 03:22

Two more cents here if you don't mind. Wally is spot on as usual and he really explains it well. Would you mind if I added just one more little thing to accentuate one of Wally's statements? Uwanna wrote:
keep the humidity on the upper level to prevent case hardening during the incubation process
Lactobacilli and pediococci are used independently of one another as each function best at contrasting temperatures for maximum growth and both are able to withstand small changes in water activity. However, both are inhibited tremendously as the Aw drops to 0.95 and below. For this reason, fast-fermented sausages must not abandon moisture too quickly or the entire fermentation process will decline. This is a good reason NOT to use your fan during fermentation.

For further discussion about LHC and nutrients for lactobacillus and pediococcus, click on this link:http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=3561#3561

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D