Kitchen Tip

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Kitchen Tip

Post by Butterbean » Fri Dec 02, 2016 02:21

With Christmas right around the corner I thought I'd share a tip with you so you don't suffer utter failure like I did last Christmas. I hope you find this helpful but of course I am going out on a limb by making the assumption that train wrecks happen in your world as they do in mine and this may not be fair so I apologize in advance if I am misjudging you.

Anyway, as is customary in my home I cook prime rib for Christmas each year. Everyone really looks forward to it and normally I cook it in my kitchen and not in my "wife's" kitchen. In fact, I try to stay out of her kitchen as much as possible because in this room there are soaps and towels and many other little things which are to be looked at and not used. This, I cannot wrap my head around and prefer to do things in a functional kitchen I am more familiar with but last year she insisted I cook the rib roast in "her" kitchen. I don't know if this has to do with my intake of alcohol during the long cook or what but suffice it to say anyone who is married knows how much easier life can be if one bends to their wife's insistence.

Anyhow, as anyone whose cooked prime rib knows its a long and drawn out affair but the end result is well worth the effort so I begin this journey and look around for a timer which is nowhere to be found in "her" kitchen so I have an epiphany and decide to use the timer on my smart phone. Yeah, I'm BRILLIANT!!!! At least up to the point when I get a phone call from distant family and when I'm finished conversing I hand the phone to the sweet smelling one to continue on with the conversation. Don't know if its just my wife or if this is a common trait among split-tails but what my wife lacks in arm strength she makes up for in jaw strength and stamina and boy can she talk. And talk she did. After some time I began to smell something that just didn't seem right and made the comment that the alarm should have gone off already and to that she put down the phone and said, "oh, is that what the buzzing is on your phone? Its been doing that for a long time - I thought there was something wrong with the phone".

Anyone who enjoys prime rib can attest that prime rib should never be cooked well done!

Maybe this could never happen in your world but it can and has in mine so just in case your world wobbles like mine take this tip to heart. And good luck.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 03, 2016 06:45

Sad story BB, you must have been ticked! But then, stuff like that happens. :mrgreen: I did my last prime rib roast sous vide. 8 hours at 137F. When everything else was ready and dinner was about to be served I removed it from the bag, covered it with a thin layer of lard and seared it in a flaming hot barbecue. Sliced and served, no rest required. The beauty of it was that if I had to wait another hour or two to serve it I would have left it in the water bath and it would not have made any difference.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 03, 2016 18:35

redzed wrote:Sad story BB, you must have been ticked! But then, stuff like that happens. :mrgreen: I did my last prime rib roast sous vide. 8 hours at 137F. When everything else was ready and dinner was about to be served I removed it from the bag, covered it with a thin layer of lard and seared it in a flaming hot barbecue. Sliced and served, no rest required. The beauty of it was that if I had to wait another hour or two to serve it I would have left it in the water bath and it would not have made any difference.
I was ticked but only for a moment because in the end it was just a hunk of meat and it got eaten. Granted not with as much zeal as it would have if done right.

I am thinking trying sous vide this year. I like the idea of having the extra time and I've bought all my children and some others souse vide machines for Christmas so this will be a good way to show them what their presents can do.