Kiełbasa chłopska - Polish Peasant Sausage

martin
Beginner
Beginner

Kiełbasa chłopska - Polish Peasant Sausage

Post by martin » Sun Dec 25, 2016 15:13

Hi
I tried couple of times copying kiełbasa chłopska wich i bought in polish store ,without success.
This sausage is very common and popular in polish stores , I spoke with my firend, whose is owner one polish grocery store.His told me ,that he order sausages, cold cuts and other stuff from big supplier from NY name ,bacik company, witch they order sausages from polish butchers in Chicago .
This sausage is dark heavy smok , finished in smokehouse probably, is not salty,with characteristics taste of fresh garlic and peper, has some chunks, looks like part of this sausage grind on coarse plate, other part hard to tell what kind of binders they use or not.Chlopska sausage is very tender and juicy, but dont see any moist, the casing is very soft and is not snap easily, you have to bend very well to break the sausage.
I checked chlopska recipe on polish web site,but this one is different
Anyone has some ideas how to make this sausage?

Ps. some pic:
Last edited by martin on Tue Dec 27, 2016 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun Dec 25, 2016 21:28

Hello Martin.
There is no way to copy any sausage made by industry. By the way - i know exactly what "chlopska" you have on mind. Let me answer your question this way. -
Home made sausage is made to fit your tastes, it contain meat, salt, cure, spices. Recipes are made to let you make it at home by yourself.
Industry made sausages (like these made in Chicago), have meat, meat extenders and fillers (example: mechanically deboned meats (MDM)), binders (like soy protein, milk protein), starches (helping keep moisture), Phosphates, some of them are not smoked (liquid smoke). Very often these kielbasas are good for a few days, then you have to throw them to garbage.
IMO - homemade is much batter than these in stores.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sun Dec 25, 2016 22:45

Here's the company in Chicago I believe you're talking about. I've had the sausage you're talking about. It's sold in a Polish deli here in Buffalo, NY.

www.andysdeli.com
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 26, 2016 19:43

Hi Martin,

Impossible for us to help you with the recipe for the kielbasa chłopska like the one that you posted. Translated it means "peasant sausage" and there are many different versions, regional and individual. Basically it is medium to coarse grind, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. You could add a small amount of marjoram, and/or a pinch of nutmeg or all spice, but no more. Stuff into whatever hog casing you have and smoke. From what I understand and have seen in Poland, it is usually smoked with beechwood, which produces a light brown, almost golden colour, very much unlike the one in your picture. I thought that we had a recipe for chłopska somewhere on our forum, but it looks like we don't. There is a very popular version of it on the Polish WD site and I will translate it and post it later tonight when my family will let me access the computer. :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 27, 2016 06:23

Kiełbasa chłopska (Polish peasant sausage) by Szczepan

Recipe translated and modified from the Polish Wędliny Domowe forum main pages
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/kielbasy/nietrw ... a-chlopska

Meats
Pork butt, 800g
Side pork, (belly) 200g

Ingredients per 1kg meat
Salt, 16g
Cure #1, 2g
Pepper, 1.5g
Marjoram, 1g
Garlic, fresh finely chopped, 2.5g
Sugar, 0.5g
Water 50ml
Pork casings, 26-28mm

Grind meats through the 8mm plate. Combine the salt, curing salt, water and the remaining ingredients and thoroughly blend. Pour the ingredients into the ground meat, mixing everything for 10 minutes , cover and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours. Next mix the meat again until it becomes sticky. Now stuff into the casings.
Set the sausage for 2 hours at room temperature. Smoke with warm smoke for 4 hours. Once the desired colour is achieved, poach the sausage in 75C (167F) water for 20 minutes.
The sausage is now ready.
This is an easy sausage that everyone is capable of making.
Good taste guaranteed.
martin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by martin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 15:44

Looks good
Have to try making this sausage , 8mm plate is very uncommon, ( I have one, but old and not to sharp) so maybe I'll just try 3/8 ,10mm.
Sausage looks like 30% fat content, so how about putting some NFDM. Just little afraid for fat smerring . On the picture chlopska looks perfect, very tender and juicy,so I'm supraice is without binder or emulsification part of meat.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 27, 2016 16:08

You can freeze the pork belly and semi freeze the shoulder meat to help prevent smearing. Another way is to cure the meat a few days in advance of grinding with the salt and cure.

If you are careful with your temps while smoking and poaching it will stay moist. No binder necessary.

The dark casing in the commercial sausage could be mahogany colored collagen, which would explain their texture
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 27, 2016 17:59

martin wrote:Sausage looks like 30% fat content, so how about putting some NFDM. Just little afraid for fat smerring . On the picture chlopska looks perfect, very tender and juicy,so I'm supraice is without binder or emulsification part of meat.
Polish sausages do not include binders. Try making the sausage exactly as the recipe directs. Mix and mix the meat until it is sticky after taking it out of the curing phase in the fridge and just before stuffing. If you add milk powder it will no longer be a kiełbasa chłopska. This recipe is a bit of a departure from the traditional method because the meat is ground, seasoned and then cured for only 12 hours. There is a thread on the Polish forum with hundreds of posts about it and most who have followed the recipe are happy with it.

There is another credible recipe that applies the more traditional Polish process, that is, by first curing the meat (salt and nitrite only) for 24 hours. It's in this blog, http://wyrobydomowe.blox.pl/2015/07/Kie ... opska.html and also in a recent book published by the author. http://wyrobydomowe.blox.pl/html I'll post a translation when I get some time. :smile:

Using 80% butt and 20% side pork does result in a relatively fatty sausage, but that is the nature of the chlopska, soft, fatty and juicy. I would not make it with less than 30%. But if you want to cut back a bit, trim off a bit of the fat from the butt and keep the same proportion of the side pork because it is what gives it that softer texture and flavour. Do not substitute the cuts used in this recipe.
martin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by martin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 20:42

Ok thanks :)
One more question😊
Can use whole butt meat or only copa, some of the part butt (shoulder) has a darker meat ,and some very lean. I make some chlopska before from whole butt(3/8 plate) and finished in the smoker ,good taste but lacking of juices, so maybe extra back fat help with this recipe.
That's the plan for the next batch.
If still don't find that taste, I try make sausage from 60%
Ham (1/2 plate) and 40% pork trimmings with fat more than 30%(plate 3/16 two times with ice) plus milk powder, water pouch using anova.
If this not working, just stop making chlopska, start buying in polish deli 😥
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 27, 2016 21:01

Martin-
Backfat is not the same as side pork AKA uncured bacon, it is a softer fat. If you want to duplicate the original taste and texture...
redzed wrote: keep the same proportion of the side pork because it is what gives it that softer texture and flavour. Do not substitute the cuts used in this recipe.
Sometimes substituting ingredients is Ok, but not using side pork in this recipe will not get you the same results.
martin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by martin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 21:30

Oo ok I don't know that.
Belly is pricey stuff, 3.80$ for pound, so I use to cure and smoke in slab, but if recipe says that, just make 5lb batch for trying.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 29, 2016 07:41

Here is another version this sausage by beiot Robert Winckiewicz, which I translated from his blog, http://wyrobydomowe.blox.pl/2015/07/Kie ... opska.html The recipe is also in a recent book published by him http://wyrobydomowe.blox.pl/html I wanted to get get a copy, but the shipping from Poland is 3 times the cost of the book! :shock:

Chłopska wędzona (Smoked peasant sausage)

Meats, seasonings and auxillary materials
Pork, Class II (butt and side pork)
Pepper, 1.5 g/kg
Marjoram, 1-2 g/kg
Fresh garlic, 1g/kg
Salt, 15-22 g/kg
Cure #1, 2g/kg
Hog casings, up to 36mm

Instructions
In making this sausage we use Class II meats only. It is best to use a mix of pork butt and side pork. The proportions are adjusted to the amount of fat we want in the sausage. After classifying the meat, it is cubed, rubbed well with the salt and Cure #1 and dry cured for 48 hours at 6C.

We grind the cured meats through the 6mm plate. While mixing we add the seasonings and gradually blend in up 10% water. The meat is then stuffed into the casings which were prepared earlier. Casings are filled tightly and tied off in coils. Sausage is then hung at a temperature of 6c for 10 hours. If we are unable to find a cool space, we can set the sausage at room temperature for 2-3 hours.

We preheat the smoke house to 50C and hang the sausage making sure they do not touch. The sausages are then dried with plenty of air movement and a low amount of smoke, until it is dry to the touch. The sausage is then smoked at a temperature no higher that 50C for 4-6 hours until it turns a light brown colour.

The temperature is then raised in the smoker to 80-90C and "baked" until the IT reaches 70-72C. We can also choose to poach the sausage, but this is a sausage that is quite fat and it`s better suited to finishing in the smoker. Lastly the sausage is cooled to a temperature below 18C.
Bon Appetit.
Last edited by redzed on Mon Jan 02, 2017 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
martin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by martin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 17:20

Hi
I made before sausage like this, I call swojska, I do exactly same, only grind on plate 8mm , other batch 10mm.
Family and friends liked but I don't.
Maybe I'm little fussy, but this sausage is not even half good as chlopska from chicago, so I still looking for a this taste.
My sausages on picture looks pretty to, so what, I fallow recipe, good meat, organic spices, kosher salt and I'm still not satisfied from my job.
I remember that taste when I was kid an visiting my family in farm in Poland, or my grandma made kind of sausage in jar.
This taste I'm looking for.
One thing about finishing sausage in smoker,
I prefer water pouch and second smok with low temp, because in my electric smoker bottom of sausage is ready before the top, so when top has 155, bottom link 165 or more. I saw on pic in polish side, many folks use smoker name borniak, witch is size of mine and has heating element on the bottom, without hot air circulation so their sausages have not even temp too.
Maybe next time I try smoke chlopska in low temperature, after that finish in gas grill with water pan low and slow try keeping temp at 160-170.
I don't know is good idea but I don't have nothing to lose.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 29, 2016 18:14

Martin-
You may never be able to duplicate the the taste and aroma of Grandma's, or even duplicate the taste of someone else's product.
You certainly can try and come as close as you can, and create your own unique sausage and method that comes close.
You will have a lot of fun trying :lol:

Being your own critic you will never be happy!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 31, 2016 00:44

This thread is about kielbasa chlopska. Any unrelated comments will be moved to the disclaimer container or deleted.

redzed