Chamber is dead, is my meat?

LOEBER74
Beginner
Beginner

Chamber is dead, is my meat?

Post by LOEBER74 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 19:40

I have 2 coppas (hanging for 45 days) and some speck (cold smoked and drying for 10 days) hanging in my chamber. I had to go out of town from June 6-12 and when I got home the temp inside was 74.5f and the humidity was 85. sometime while I was away the fridge died but the fan kept blowing warm air into it. Obviously I need a new fridge but is there anything to be done with the meat? The Coppas are coated in a nice white mold but getting a green fuzz coating. the speck has minor white spotting on it and smells ok. I pulled it all and put into ziploks and into my bar fridge (37f) until I get home and can deal wit them tonight.

Advise from others? Is my meat dead too?
LOEBER74
Beginner
Beginner

Post by LOEBER74 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 14:52

+++++FOLLOW UP+++++

All meat is trashed. Will keep the fridge as it now maintains at a deccent fermenting temperature. Silver linings i guess...É
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 15, 2017 15:06

Yikes! I was away yesterday and did not see your first post. I would have kept them. After 45 days the coppas were pretty much shelf stable and and could be easily hung at room temp. The water activity level in the speck after curing and cold smoking was probably also OK. At least it was not a whole load that you tossed.

Too bad about your curing chamber. Were you able to determine why the fridge failed? Was it cycling too often?
LOEBER74
Beginner
Beginner

Post by LOEBER74 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 15:24

Hey Red.

I cut them open and the smell was WAAAY off. As I am fairly new my wife èncoouraged`me to err on the side of caution.

Fridge was older and on its last legs for months, cooling unit blew on it and the fan just blew hot air. ( instant read showed air temp of 78f coming out of the blower into the chamber.)
I will most likley keep it for fermenting.

Thanks for the reply.