Smoking vegetarian sausage questions

criswaller

Smoking vegetarian sausage questions

Post by criswaller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 19:11

I have just acquired the book "The Art of Making Vegetarian Sausages" and found it extremely informative. However, it only covers boiling sausages. If I wanted to smoke vegetarian sausage, I assume it would need a source of nitrates, like meat sausage, to prevent botulism? Has anyone tried smoking vegetarian sausages and have any tips?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:57

Welcome to the forum!

I have never seen anything pertaining to smoking veggie sausages! I would use grilling or adding liquid smoke to add a smoke flavor.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 16:47

I agree about adding liquid smoke. It's actually quite effective and very much promoted in the EU as healthier. You might also experiment with cold smoking the sausages after they have been cooked. We do that with products like liver sausage, so I don't see why it would not work with vegetarian sausges. Just don't overdo it. Start with only an hour the first time. And BTW, the vegetarian sausages are not boiled, they are are poached.

Good luck and please post some of the results here. I for one would be very interested in seeing how they turn out and your opinion of the taste.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 09:38

redzed wrote:. I for one would be very interested in seeing how they turn out and your opinion of the taste.
Yeah me to!