WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Jan 31, 2018 02:16

I can make a pile of meat in a short time and it doesn't tire me one bit. What gets me is the cleanup afterwards. That is the killer.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 03:31

What gets me is the cleanup afterwards. That is the killer
Oh man.... thank you! You are so right about the clean up!!

One mistake I made just this past weekend was, making "Hot" and "Sweet" at the same time.

My bad, my bad idea, "Right"..... I had to keep changing and cleaning equipment, if you know what I mean.
Never again!

When I make Sweet, that's it!
When I make Hot, that's it!

When I make dried sausage or cappicolla, I only making one type at a time.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Trouble In Paradise

Post by Kijek » Mon Feb 05, 2018 02:33

Ok let's start out by saying I'm no professional, but I make my own products and I do make far better home products then you can buy in any store, as we all do, otherwise we would not be doing what we do.
I make my own "fresh" sausages as well as the dried cured using recipes from all around the world, such as;

Fresh Italian hot & sweet, same with dried cured, soppressata, cappacola, etc.
I'm making smoked bacon
Curing beef brisket for corned beef and also pastrami
You name I have made a lot.

Again, I'm no pro and I'm sure many of you are far better then me, that's why I like it here.

Ok here is the issue, my wife's family and friends, and also my friends love my products and bug the hell out of me for more.

Believe it or not, I'm a bit shy and not very forward, but love what I make but afraid to ask for money. However, I feel I have gotten to the point where her family and both ours friends are taking advantage of me, and I can't do it anymore.

So, my friends, how do I break this habit they have for using me for good stuff.
I love making it and doing it for anyone, but I do not know how to be more forward. I'm afraid of what they may think of me.

I know this is stupid thinking, but that's the way I feel.

How do I tell them? Keep in mind these people are takers.
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Mon Feb 05, 2018 22:38

tell them you're asking your cost. shouldn't be a problem for a reasonable person. If they don't want to pay - poo-poo.
Knifeman
User
User

Post by Knifeman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 22:59

Hi Kijec

Hmmm ... Okay decent people should not take advantage of other people . Everyone slips a bit here and there that's life. Meat is not cheap ! You have said yourself that they are takers, well it's time they pay up in some way, either by cash or trade . Maybe they have skills that you coulds use . I think you have show your generosity in the past ! If they don't want to help in someway, Oh well their loss !

Just my two cents !
Knifeman
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Mon Feb 05, 2018 23:32

Ok thanks for the encouragement. :oops:
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:59

This is easy. You make the phone call in advance and tell them you are picking up a case of pork butts and you are doing it on Saturday. "How many pounds are you in for?" When I make cured Italian sausage or soppressata, I usually throw the feeler out there to two other people and we will split the 70 pounds into 3,,,and they enjoy helping too. By the time they come to the house, I already know what the cost of the meat is along with casings, cure 2, dextrose, culture and netting along with vacuum bags. Divide it by 3. Everybody is more than glad to pitch in.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Tue Feb 06, 2018 13:11

LOUSANTELLO
Now that sounds like a great idea, and if there not in, they get nothings.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Feb 06, 2018 13:19

There's always somebody willing to split it up. Don't throw the feeler out there to too many people. They will all want in. Let them wait in line for your next batch. The issue I have is when I think it's a great idea to split 3 ways, and when it's done, you don't feel like you ended up with enough,,,but realize you are making it more often, so it's not so bad. Pick people willing to help instead of just watching. It's very frustrating spending all your time making it and only ending up with 1/3 if they don't help out irrelevant if they paid you or not. Last time was a disaster only because the two other people brought some family members to help out and it turned into a whole Saturday of show and tell on cellphone pictures, etc. All I wanted to do was get to work making sausage. Next time, cellphones stay upstairs.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:44

Did you meatheads remember what day it is? :lol:

jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:02

Nothing says I love you more than a bouquet of bacon roses!
JjNUrK
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:56

Awww and I love you too :lol:
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

USA Connecticut & NY Snow

Post by Kijek » Mon Feb 19, 2018 03:17

Hey BobK, AKA "professor"
How much snow you all get Saturday night into Sunday?
We got about 5 maybe 6 inches and it is all starting to melt. Should all be gone by Monday afternoon, thank goodness.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Feb 21, 2018 02:40

Hmmm, this was a lame subject. :oops:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 03:54

We've got close to 3 feet, and it's been -30 or colder for the last 2 1/2 months! I'm tired of winter. I want to go to Georgia or Arizona and shoot hogs!!