My first batch and everything looks good!! I Think!

cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 16, 2018 16:28

Thanks for the info. I decided to have the best of both. I unplugged my temp controller and activated the full use of the fridge AND kept the temp probe in there just to see the readings. What I found is that without the fan running against the compressor I need to keep the fridge at 10C in order to achieve a 13C temp. I really like that it keeps a solid 55f in the chamber though. Now on to the next issue...

I bought a regulator speed control for my computer fan to slow it down a bit. I also bought a timer control to adjust when it comes on and off. I think that perhaps having it on 24/7 albeit soft may be too much. Does anyone have any experience with airflow and how much is too much? I was thinking having it come on every 4 hours for 10 minutes or so... Thoughts?

Here are some pictures that I took yesterday. What I have learned in the last 4 weeks has been invaluable. My Ph meter came in yesterday and I had tested the fennel salami. Also we have been eating this product and tasting it since around 29%. I am astounded as to the complexities and changes that has occurred between 29% and 42%. At 29% I thought that I would have to throw the entire batch out (dog food), at 34% the texture was way too soft and unappetizing for me, at 39% the smell (and taste) of a particular funk that was hard to pinpoint (but kinda good) was lingering throughout the sausage. At 42.7% the texture and flavor had balanced and was very nice. I've never tasted store bought salami like this.

I am very excited as to my next batch to incorporate many of the new "salami lessons". Now with a proper way to test ph and a better controlled (Cooler) ferment, I think that it's time to get crazy with my next batch.. Please check out these pics and let me know your thoughts,...

Following the advice Lou posted I unwrapped the casing (32-34mm) and wiped a touch of olive oil on the salami, then vac sealed them. The salami that remain in the chamber are the thicker diameter ones... 90mm.. Getting more confidant daily!

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 17:14

cajuneric wrote:Does anyone have any experience with airflow and how much is too much? I was thinking having it come on every 4 hours for 10 minutes or so... Thoughts?
I would not worry about airflow as you usually get enough air movement from the Fridge fans, dehumidifiers ect that are running. What you do need is air exchange , either from just opening the door a few times a day, or an exchange system.
cajuneric wrote:Following the advice Lou posted I unwrapped the casing (32-34mm) and wiped a touch of olive oil on the salami, then vac sealed them.
No need to remove casings if using that method, just wipe off mold. Lou is trying to avoid removing casings.

Salami looks great!!!

Ph meter will give you a lot more useful info during the fermenting stage
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 16, 2018 17:21

Good to know about the casings. Is it bad to leave the mold on if I vac seal or is there some adverse reaction?

I guess I was curious as to my final pH being that I was uncertain as to my starting pH (using so much dextrose and all).

Thanks on the encouragement. I have found that 42% - 43% is right on!! Really nice..

Eric
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 17:28

cajuneric wrote: Is it bad to leave the mold on if I vac seal or is there some adverse reaction?
Definitely. Remove it!!! As you know mold is aerobic, when it dies it leave a nasty slime on vac sealed salami.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 16, 2018 21:41

So here's a technical question. Does a fridge have 2 fans? I removed the one on the top inside of the fridge that blows air on the condenser coil. It was too much air. Is there another one that kicks on when the compressor kicks on? With that fan gone is air still circulating inside the chamber?
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 16, 2018 22:21

I made a very rudimentary video of this salami experience...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWTPnbwNrE&t=102s

Don't judge me too harshly!! :razz:

Eric
Knifeman
User
User

Post by Knifeman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 22:52

cajuneric

I thought the video was good ! Thanks for posting that up !
Knifeman
Knifeman
User
User

Post by Knifeman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 23:00

cajuneric,

Hello Cajuneric

Not sure if my first PM went to you or not so here goes again !

Could you tell me about your manual stuffer that you used in your video ? How do you like it ? Does it preform well ? What make is it and the specs ?

Also how do you like your electric grinder ? What make is it ? maybe the specs please .

Trying to get a list of possible purchases for my venture into sausage making !
Thank You !
Knifeman
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Mar 16, 2018 23:16

Absolutely.

I was going to make a separate video of all the special equipment we use in making sausage but 100% of everything we use we are completely satisfied with. It was all worth every penny. I couldn't imagine making sausage and salami the way we do without it.

Here is the stuffer:

https://www.sausagemaker....r-p/18-1016.htm

We made huge batches of sausage at a time so we needed a big one but really a 5 or 10 pound unit would be ok. All metal construction with multiple gears and a pressure release. This has increased our production time and the quality of the sausage..

The grinder:

https://www.lemproducts.c...r-meat-grinders

This guy is the work horse. Fast, strong, and very durable. We've been making sausages (100 pounds/ week for over 3 years and never had a problem. Can grind partially frozen/frozen meat. We have the foot pedal as an accessory and is a cool attachment. Totally improved our sausages!! Cleaner grinds and more options. Also better texture as a result of thie piece of equipment..

The mixer:

https://www.lemproducts.c...age-meat-mixers

This really improved quality of the sausage. I think that they sell a smaller one as well but this unit will mix (attached to the grinder) your entire batch in just under 4 minutes where it takes a long time to do it by hand... Very good buy for us!!

No problem with any of the units and if I had to do it all over again I would certainly buy them again (possibly the bigger models)

Let me know if you have any questions
CajunEric
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 23:34

I would like to know where you got the extra set of arms. :shock:

Very nice video
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Mar 17, 2018 00:37

I learned air flow and forget from who, but if you can feel a little flow in front of the fan that's good enough, and that what I do period.
I've heard about (maybe from BobK) awhile back and I'm going to start the practice of air exchange.
My chamber has been used as a regular refrigerator the past few weeks for corned beef, but now that, that is over, going to install a small exchanger on a timer since I have one already.

Besides all that, Cajun, how do you like that Ph meter and where did you get yours?
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Sat Mar 17, 2018 01:35

Kijek wrote:
Besides all that, Cajun, how do you like that Ph meter and where did you get yours?

I love it!!! It's ridiculous and accurate. Well built and easy to operate and calibrate. For the price I was hoping that it would do more but it des exactly what it claims with extreme precision..

https://hannainst.com/hi99163-haccp-ph- ... -meat.html

If I lived in the states I probably would have gone with the Milwaukee but there is a Hanna lab in Panama in the event I have a problem or something..

Cajun
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Mar 17, 2018 02:08

Thank you, I see what your saying, as I have done a little searching of my own, and yes I think the Milwaukee is where I will go.

It conversations like this that make the purchasing more understandable and easier, Thanks
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 02:35

I have had my Hanna for over 5 years now I think. It has worked perfectly without any problems. Easy to calibrate and is accurate. You get what you pay for. If you want a cheap PH meter than don't buy a Hanna. Hanna sets the standard in PH meters and all else just follow.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Mar 17, 2018 02:55

What culture were you using that they recommended adding the culture and spices 12 hrs prior to grinding? Pretty common to add salt and cure a day or two prior but not the spices and culture.
You will also get better distribution and it will be less prone to smearing if you grind the fat with the meat.

4 minutes is just not enough time with the mixer, closer to 10 would be more like it to get it good and sticky.