Bohemian Cream Sausage

rhamnik

Bohemian Cream Sausage

Post by rhamnik » Fri Mar 23, 2018 22:47

I am running out of places to look! Does anyone have a recipe for Bohemian Cream Sausage (Klobosy - not Klobasy)?

Thank you!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:47

This isn't a recipe but Excalibur seasoning makes a premix for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Bohemi ... B001BBOH74

This might give you some insight to a recipe the poster klobasy but mentions , "This might be like the Bohemian "Cream Sausage" that some folks in Chicago used to buy."

https://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtop ... =1&t=11207
rhamnik

Post by rhamnik » Sat Mar 24, 2018 16:25

I saw that, but I think they stopped selling it altogether. No longer mentioned on their website and no reply when I reached out to them directly.

Thanks!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 22:49

How about the link to Sausagemaking? does that sound like what you're looking for?
redzed

Re: Bohemian Cream Sausage (Klobosy) - Need recipe!

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 24, 2018 23:09

rhamnik wrote:I am running out of places to look! Does anyone have a recipe for Bohemian Cream Sausage (Klobosy - not Klobasy)?

Thank you!
Hello rhamnik! I'm glad you found us. :grin: Is this what you are looking for?

You are not running out of places to look. You have not found anything about this sausage because you are looking under the wrong name. To begin with, there is no such word as "klobosy". More than likely it is an unintentional spelling error or perhaps careless disregard for the Czech and Slovak languages. "Klobasy" is the plural for "klobasa" which simply translates into "sausage". So by googling Klobosy all you find is the misspelled word and if you google klobasy, you will find reference to all kinds of Czech, Slovak, Slovenian Croatian and Serb sausages. Another reason that you did not have any success is that "Bohemian Cream Sausage" is an American name, and most Czechs will have no idea what you are talking about.

The sausage that you are looking is known to to the Czechs as "vinná klobása" or "wine sausage". And the reason it looks like it's creamy is that it contains bread rolls dipped in milk. In it's uncooked stage it is a almost pure white in colour, not linked and usually baked or grilled. Some recipes call for it to be baked in cream. It's related somewhat to the Bavarian white sausages such as weisswurst and stockwurst. The Main ingredients of the sausage are pork and veal, white wine, wheat rolls (buns) milk, salt, nutmeg and lemon zest. Wine sausage is traditional Christmas fare, so ask any Czech and they will probably be able to help you find a version of the recipe. And here are a couple for starters. Unfortunately the google translations are a bit wonky. I think I understand it better in reading it in Czech than the English translation.

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/1008 ... a-klobasa/

https://recepty.vareni.cz/domaci-vinna-klobasa/

https://www.google.ca/search?client=fir ... Jiq6zlXuYM:

From Wikipedia:
Wine sausage is a traditional Czech sausage, related to Bavarian white sausage. It is made from pork, sometimes veal, which is finely chopped, rolls dipped in milk, white wine, nutmeg and lemon peel. The mass is filled into a natural cloak. Sausages are not heat-treated, so they have to consume as soon as possible. Most often, it turns into a spiral that will secure the spear and bake on the hot fat. As the red sun-like wheel is created, the traditional sausage is a traditional Christmas meal as a celebration of the solstice.

So instead of searching for "klobosy", search for Bohemian, Prague, Czech, or Slovak "wine sausage" and of coarse "vinná klobása". Hope this helps. :lol:
rhamnik

Post by rhamnik » Mon Apr 02, 2018 21:34

Thanks for the reply. The name thing has been an issue - relying on others for its name (besides Cream Sausage). While this recipe sounds fantastic, it's not it. It is the single long link, but it is in the smaller sheep casing (breakfast sausage diameter). Most places that make it sell it as a pinwheel of about 5 feet in length, secured with skewers. Will keep looking.
Thank You.
polka
Beginner
Beginner

Post by polka » Thu Aug 16, 2018 00:11

Jak se mas!

Hello
Sorry to be a little late to the party.

Here is the recipe for this fresh sausage, and the source of it, that I use.

WILBER, NEBRASKA CZECH COOKBOOK, 1963
KLOBASY - WINE SAUSAGE

10 lbs MEAT (usually fatty pork shoulder)
-- some grind coarse, others very fine; according to the chef.

Enough Cubed WHITE BREAD to sop up the 2 cups Sweet Cream.

4 TBSP SALT
4 TSP White PEPPER
2 TSP GARLIC
2 TSP MACE
2 TSP MARJORAM
4 TBSP LEMON ZEST
(or 2 TSP Lemon extract)

1 CUP COLD WHITE WINE

Soak bread in cream.
Add Meat, herbs, and spices. Mix very well.
Add wine, and mix another 2 to 5 minutes.

Stuff in your favorite casing, usually about 32 to 35 mm size.
To cook: simmer like brats, and brown in skillet or on grill.

Spanem Bohem

Rex W. Ulmer
aka POLKA
May all your projects taste great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 19, 2018 17:31

Thanks for that Rex, that is definitely a good version of what rhamnik was looking for. Next time you make a batch, it would be great if you could take some pics and post them in this thread.
polka
Beginner
Beginner

Post by polka » Wed Aug 22, 2018 00:36

Okay, redzed! I'm glad I could help.

It might be a month or two, but I most certainly will do!

Thanks for the help and encouragement you give all the sausage makers on here!

R
polka
Beginner
Beginner

Post by polka » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:55

Rhamnik, and Redzed

After re-reading the thread, two things come to mind.

The size and use of the casing has no bearing, usually, on the taste of the sausage. He could use the formula and case it in whatever he chooses, including sheep, and cast it into a coil with skewers if he so chooses.

Second, the recipe at sausagemaking is something I also participated in, before I really knew and understood what I was doing, and some of my remarks are a bit off, or downright wrong.

Hoping he comes back to this thread. What is posted here seems to be what he, and I have been looking for. And as you said, the formula I posted in this thread is correct for this type and profile of Czech Klobasa.

Rex
aka polka
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 24, 2018 20:23

A couple of days ago I was in the Bohemian town of České Budějovice, the home of the original Bud. Not only did I quaff a couple of mugs of Budweiser Budvar, a golden lager with a stiff and creamy head, I also found a small sausage vendor in a local market. Among the products was "Vinná klobása" the sausage we have been researching. Didn't sample it since I had no means of cooking it, but tried two sausages and some headcheese. All tasted great, very much had that home made on the farm flavour.