Cure #1 used instead of Cure #2. Is it safe to eat?

lucky13

Cure #1 used instead of Cure #2. Is it safe to eat?

Post by lucky13 » Sat May 19, 2018 07:03

Hi guys,

This is my first ever post in here. I hope you dont mind me asking a few questions.

i used cure #1 for my fully lamb sucuk (sujouk) instead of cure #2.
I cured it for 3 days in the firdge, then fermented for an other 3 days at 22c and 85% humidity in my curing chamber. Now its air drying at 12c and 70% humidity. i Was planning to air dry it for 4 weeks.

Is it still safe to eat after 4 weeks? usually we cook our sujouk and cook it with eggs for breakfast.

Your advise is highly appreciated.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 19, 2018 17:28

Hello lucky13 and welcome to our circle! Ask as many questions as you have, that is what this forum is all about. There is absolutely no reason why your sucuk would be unsafe to consume after 4 weeks. If fact, most European versions made today are made with nitrite only. Many believe that the addition of nitrate produces a better tasting product as a result of the nitrate to nitrite conversion process. But until the nitrate is converted to nitrite, it in itself has no benefit. It is the nitrite that is main ingredient in the development of the curing colour in a salami and it also brings out the curing flavour. The nitrate in Cure 2 probably does aid in extending the life of the sausage by acting as an antioxidant, but that does not mean that it is absolutely necessary. In fact, a portion of nitrite is first converted to nitrate and then back to nitrite. So nitrite also acts as an antioxidant. The antioxidative effect of nitrite comes from the oxidation of nitrite to nitrate. Gerhard Feiner in his excellent text on salami production does not see any significant benefit in adding potassium nitrate.

What style of sucuk are you making? There are so many versions out there, and we certainly would like to see your recipe.
lucky13

Post by lucky13 » Sun May 20, 2018 06:48

Hello Redzed and thank you for your response, much appreciated.

I got really confused when posting the same question on facebook as some are saying just toss it out because it'll be unsafe to eat it after 4 weeks due to just cure #1 used instead cure #2.
risk of botulism etc etc.

Some are saying "as long as you cook it'll be safe to consume". I remember my grandparents for decades only used salt we never got poised or what so ever.

One of my friend which is also a member here suggested i should share my concers on Wedlinydomowe where all the experts are;)

So i am all safe to share my sucuk with my family and friends when they're ready in about 3 weeks?

My recipe is very simple, I got it from a sucuk maker in Kayseri Turkey. Allthough i play with my recipes to suit my taste buds the recipe below is the foundation. I only added additional cure 1 this time. next time i will add cure #2;)

here it is:

10kg Sucuk:

165g Salt
200g Fresh garlic
260g Sweet paprika powder
150g Cumin
5g allspice
5g Cinnamon or Nutmeg
2.5g Black pepper
water

I also make this recipe:

5 kg Sucuk :

95g Salt
50g Garlic powder
20g black pepper
5g Nutmeg
150g sweet paprika powder
25g Onion powder
45g Cumin
7.5g Coriander
5g Fenugreek
5g Oregano
5g allspice
250g water

Let me know if you have anything to add to it.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Mon May 21, 2018 08:00

Thanks for sharing the recipes Lucky!!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jun 04, 2018 14:23

Lucky can you post some pics and tell us how the sucuk turned out? I do have some concerns about the low salt content and that you are fermenting without bacterial cultures. Also, the amount of paprika and cumin (esp. in the first recipe) is greater than I have ever seen in any recipe.
lucky13

Post by lucky13 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 14:23

Hello Redzen,

It actually turned out to be great, nice colour and the exact same taste like the sucuks sold in Kayseri Turkey as you said first recipe is more spicy but thats the way the sucuks are in Kayseri.

Second sucuk recipe is a more lighter compared to no 1. In europe and australia they mix the same recipe with strasburg premix to give it a sausage/sucuk kinda taste which also makes it much more lighter in taste.

I have been eating it as is as well as cooked for the last two weeks. I actually used a higher salt percentage as i knew most of the recipes are asking around 3% but thats the recipe i got from Turkey. please find pictures attched.Image

Please let me know your thoughts.