Salumi Workshop in Tuscany

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
jrittvo
Beginner
Beginner

Salumi Workshop in Tuscany

Post by jrittvo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 03:28

Has anyone done one of these workshops?

http://www.sapori-e-saperi.com/advanced ... scany.html

Looks like a dream learning experience for me, and I`m due a "big" vacation right around when they have their March session (or at least I am very close to convincing myself of that).
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jul 17, 2018 15:13

I don't believe anyone from our group has attended any of the Italian workshops. The Sapori course outline looks fabulous and no doubt it would be a fun learning experience. I hope you decide to register and give us a detailed report. The March time line would also give you plenty of time to prepare by reading about Italian charcuterie and other technical works relating to the craft. I would be happy to give you some recommendations and send you some published material in e-format. Spending a week long vacation with a group of norcini sounds a lot better to me than a moronic do-nothing holiday on the beach. :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jul 17, 2018 15:28

Here is a an upcoming class a little closer to home. Led by the Swiss American master Francois Vecchio. Also would be worthwhile in attending.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/4-day-hog- ... rm=listing
jrittvo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jrittvo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 06:32

I was a vegetarian for 15 years and I am still reconciling myself to eating meat again. One of my goals is to use all of the hog with no waste, out of "respect" for the loss of life, so I really should be doing my own butchering from at least half a hog. The workshop you found would get me started better than my uneducated hacking, but I`m still in denial on the slaughter part. For me, that is a big moral cop out, to just pretend that step doesn`t happen. I know that can be done with a minimum of stress for the animal if that is the goal, but I am not ready to witness it yet. I`ll get there though, and when I do, that workshop could be a perfect starting point for me. I will contact them to see if they hold it annually, because the upcoming session is coming around too soon for me. Thanks for the link!