Grilling time!

redzed

Grilling time!

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 15, 2018 19:07

Barbeque season in full swing! Time to be creative and make your favourite grilling sausages. I made three different sausages and am set for a while.

Chicken with feta and spinach. This sausage is definitely a hit every time. Recipe is here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=15

Boerewors, South African farmer sausage. Made from Stan Marianski's recipe, https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... /boerewors I did adjust the spice amount using 4g pepper 3g coriander and added 1g granulated garlic to give it more flavour. I'm not that crazy about vinegar in sausage and the next time I make it I will use a young white wine which will give enough acidity.

German style bratwurst with venison (rather than beef). Recipe for 1kg of meat: 500g class II pork (35% fat), 200g class III pork, and 300g class I venison (no fat or connective tissue). Salt 18g, white pepper 3g, marjoram 1.5g, caraway 1g, mace 1g, ginger .5g, ice water 100ml. Class III ground through 3mm plate and then combined with the other meat and everything ground trough the 4.5mm plate. Stuffed into 30-32 hog casings. Although I kept my sausages fresh, the bratwurst can be poached and then just heated and browned on the grill. Tastes great on a bun with fried onions and mustard.

MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Mon Jul 16, 2018 01:22

Those all look/sound delicious!
oil99

Post by oil99 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 02:03

That is a happy and full BBQ, but I bet even happier and fuller bellies after that feast. Amazing looking sausage well done!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jul 16, 2018 03:44

Looks terrific!
muxmun
User
User

Post by muxmun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 00:59

Red
Those look superb!! I have to try the chicken spinach dogs. Pictures like this go a long way to make me keep trying. Thanks for sharing
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jul 18, 2018 06:29

Thanks Muxie! Ya gotta try the chicken, feta and spinach sausage. You'll be hooked for life. :lol:
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Fri Jul 20, 2018 05:58

Hi redzed

I Made a 1 Kg test batch of the chicken, feta, and spinach sausage per your linked recipe . . . GREAT thanks!

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jul 20, 2018 14:19

You are making me hungry.
muxmun
User
User

Post by muxmun » Tue Jul 24, 2018 00:57

Red, Gray Goat and all.

I made the chicken spinach feta sausage today. I haven't grilled any yet but the leftover in the stuffier fried up was very good. Thanks all for posting and helping me make a damn fine product.
I am sure I will be making more! :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jul 24, 2018 19:23

jcflorida, your chicken sausage looks fantastic! Glad you liked it. It's a nice change from pork.

muxmum, how about some pics!?
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 00:02

I had to jump on the bandwagon and make some of those chicken, spinach, and feta sausages...

They are excellent! Even a friend of mine who (thinks he) hates feta was really impressed by them.

Redzed, I saw that you've made several versions of that sausage, so I looked at the recipes listed here and went with what I thought I'd like the best. One version had onion in it, and, while I love onion in a lot of sausages, I thought it might detract from the spinach and feta. So, I did a small pan-fry trial. The one with onion was very good, but like I suspected, it took away from the stars of the show.

What I was surprised by was how much you could taste the spinach. I think regular bagged spinach has a little stronger flavor than baby spinach, so that's what I used.

I made some very slight tweaks to the recipe (10g more feta and spinach, .2g less pepper and marjoram), so next time it'll be...

Per kg of chicken thighs:

20g Salt
120g Feta
110g Bagged Spinach
2.8g White Pepper
2.8g Marjoram
2g Mustard Powder

Also, I used chicken stock instead of water to get the right consistency. The additional salt of the stock and the feta definitely did not make it too salty. Chicken needs the help of a healthy dose of salt.

I hate when recipes are written volumetrically, so hopefully this helps anyone on the fence about making these fine sausages!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jul 31, 2018 01:12

The best recipe IMHO is the last one in the thread: Ingredients for 1kg meat: 170g feta, 100g spinach, 30g onion, 12g salt, 1.5marjoram, 3g white pepper, 10g. non-instant skim milk powder, 2g garlic, 25ml water.

You are probably correct about the low amount of salt, I upped the amount in the last batch to 14g/kg. Using powdered chicken stock is a good idea as long as you can calculate the total amount of salt in the sausage. Keep in mind that feta usually contains a substantial amount of salt. When making fresh sausages, I usually don't go over 15-16g/kg. I'm surprised that you don't like the onions in there. Usually the onion, once cooked, adds a sweetness to the overall taste.
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Wed Aug 01, 2018 02:19

I normally salt at a rate of 18g/kg for fresh sausages. But for this sausage, 20g/kg in addition to the additional salt from the feta and chicken stock was just right for me. And I think the additional salt was part of what helped bring out the taste of the spinach.

No, I DID like the onion! I just didn't like that it somewhat masked the flavors of the spinach and feta.