Should I dump it?

RadRob

Should I dump it?

Post by RadRob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 01:14

I ground up pork butts to make my normal sausage recipe except this time I used Morton's salt substitute for a no sodium sausage for my Mom but after mixing and frying up a patty it has a weird chemical taste. It's the same recipe I always use except that Morton's, I think it's too much of the potassium chloride and it gives off that taste. I should've researched it more but here's where I am.

Is there a way to save 9 lbs of ground meat or dump it and consider it lesson learned?
polka
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Should I dump it?

Post by polka » Mon Mar 04, 2019 04:57

First thought -- add a bit of sugar.

A Second thought -- freeze it until you have meat for another batch, and blend the two, and season carefully. A version of this is to freeze a portion to blend into another batch later, while keeping a portion and blending it now. You get the idea.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Rex
May all your projects taste great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 08:31

Most of the commercial sausages that are "low sodium" contain potassium chloride, but usually no more than 30% of the sodium equivalent. And precisely for the reason you discovered: it does not taste good. So polka's advise is quite sound, blend with another batch made with salt. It won't be sodium free, but "low sodium" and still edible.
RadRob

Post by RadRob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 22:22

Sounds great, Thanks for the advise. I just cut up 2 more butts and they're in the freezer getting almost frozen to grind.
Now comes the math part figuring out the salt to add. Here's what I have now.
9 lbs of the original sausage already seasoned with the salt substitute.
15.7lbs of fresh ground pork. I use a calculator that gives me grams for seasoning so that's the easy part except for the salt. Should I mix it then taste for salt and go from there or is there a calculation I can use to figure out an amount.

I used 1.5% of meat weight of the Mortons and that was 61.2 grams. If my math is right then for 24.7lbs of meat I should only use 50.4G(30%). I guess I'll need to use less meat with the salt substitute to make the numbers work.

Thoughts anyone?
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 05, 2019 04:34

15.7 lbs is 7.12kg. Add 15g salt per kg. 107grams salt. You percentage of the salt substitute will be 35.5% which is only a lttle higher than the recommended amount and the astringent taste will not be as noticeable.
RadRob

Post by RadRob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 05:30

I spent a few hours mixing it all up to make sure it's distributed around. Not hours at once, mix then in the freezer then mix and repeat.

I didn't add salt and it needs a little but I can still taste a tinge of chemical, everyone else said it taste good. They don't know it but it's getting a little salt before I stuff tomorrow.

I also took 11lbs to make smoked sausage, added the cure and it's sitting till morning. I did add salt and a little Accent for some pop.
RadRob

Post by RadRob » Thu Mar 07, 2019 15:38

Thanks for the tips, I salvaged the meat and made good sausage. I'm stacked for a while with 11 lbs of smoked and 13 lbs of fresh.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 07, 2019 17:02

That's how we learn, from reading, listening to others, practice and from our mistakes. Unfortunately salt is such an integral part of sausage that it's impossible to replace it entirely. Potassium chloride works to some extent, but it it also has limitations due to the flavour it produces. And too much of it can also be detrimental to our health. Gerhard Feiner writes in Salami: Practical Science and Technology, pp.64-65:

The disadvantage of potassium chloride is that its bitter taste can be observed in
the finished meat product and the majority of people can detect this bitter taste
if around 3 g of potassium is present per 1 kg of meat product. Three grams of
potassium equal around 6 g of potassium chloride given that potassium chloride
consists of 52% potassium. If sodium chloride has to be replaced with potassium
chloride, around 15% more potassium chloride has to be applied to dissolve protein
to the same extent: this is due to the different proportions of sodium or potassium
bound to chloride. Chloride ions are mainly responsible for activating protein, and
potassium chloride demonstrates a nonchloride part of 48% compared with 39% in sodium
chloride. As a result, more potassium chloride has to be added to end up with
the same concentration of chloride within the meat product. People with heart
problems must not consume high levels of potassium chloride as excess levels
of potassium can cause heart irregularities.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 15:01

Nice looking sausage. Can you share your recipe?
RadRob

Post by RadRob » Fri Mar 08, 2019 22:16

It's like all recipes, always tinkering but this is where I'm at now.

% Grams

meat 8 lbs 4081.5g
fat 1 lbs
salt 1.5 % 61.2225g
black pepper 0.3 % 12.2445g
cayenne 0.3 % 12.2445g
garlic powder 0.3 % 12.2445g
onion powder 0.6 % 24.489g
paprika 0.5 % 20.4075g
brown sugar 0.5 % 20.4075g
thyme 0.1 % 4.0815g
oregano 0.1 % 4.0815g

medium onion
1/2 red and 1/2 green bell pepper
2 stalks of celery
handful of parsley chopped, about 1/2 cup

blitz all veggies and seasoning with 1/4 cup water

chop 2 bunches of green onions and mix

I don't add all the veggies when I make smoked sausage.