Meat grinders

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Meat grinders

Post by DLFL » Sun Oct 16, 2011 17:46

As I am getting ready to get into meat curing I have read that one should get good basic equipment. No place have I found suggestions for the good equipment. IE: Universal with the v belt pulley on its manual crank handle. This looks like a good place to start to me.
Your impute is very much wanted.

Dick
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 16, 2011 18:08

That won't work. Just send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Grinder

Post by Blackriver » Sun Oct 16, 2011 21:52

I have been doing some looking for a new meat grinder also. I am looking a a Weston #8 that Chuckwagon suggested

http://www.sausagemaker.com/643568white ... inder.aspx

That one is $120

I also am looking a Cabellas meat grinder #8

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

$350

Also a Lem at Bass Pro #8

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-E ... 0794/64412

$279 on sale

If you want a good hand grinder, I like mine, which is a choprite.

There are a lot of good grinders out there it just boils down to how much you will use it and how much money you want to spend. Hope this helps
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 23:58

I had a Tre-Spade #22 that I sold. Thank Christ!!!! I kept the 12 different sized plates for it, and bought a 1 hp from Mr. Cabela. The best investment I made, as I made money on it. A stainless unit with reverse for a tin plated unit, and I kept the plates. For the difference in price, I bought the stainless meat mixer. Net difference $25.00 in my favour, or more simply 24 Kokanee beer and I now have a stainless grinder & a meat mixer for the sausage!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 17, 2011 01:17

I am going to have to keep track of the date and quantity of my sausage making efforts but I doubt that I average more than 2 or 3 pounds per week. It is awfully hard to justify very much investment in equipment for that.
When you think about all of the ways to cook, roast or bring any animal into food sausage just become one way among many.
Tonight I had chicken curry sausage stuffed peppers for supper but Thursday i had pork tenderloin medallion's
Ross- tightwad home cook
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Mon Oct 17, 2011 01:47

Here is the setup that I have been using for years.It is a #32 grinder $ 59.95. Pulleys and belts approximately $17.00. Clamps $4.00. Motor 1 hp. ( free sausage ) Wood and screws were recycled items. I have been using this one for over four years. Bad thing is I have not gotten around to building guards for it so I am the only one that is allowed to feed it.With the one hp. motor it really kicks butt being a #32.This unit has processed over 700 lbs. with absolutely no problems . It will be used for making at least 150 lbs. of beer sticks and summer sausage next month.

John
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 17, 2011 01:49

speechless :shock:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Oct 17, 2011 02:48

JerBear wrote:speechless
Ditto! I love that belt driven setup!
DiggingDogFarm wrote:A friend had the Weston, but didn't like it. Aluminum would rub off of the chamber/housing and get in the meat.
I'd avoid any grinder with an aluminum chamber/housing.
DLFL, If you want to go the way of the manual grinder, I'd only consider a Stainless Steel model.
My grinder is a Weston # 8, I'll agree with you that the aluminum possibly could rub off, but mine has not had that problem so far, I check it on a regular basis.
I think if the plastic gear at the end of the auger starts to wear, it would cause slop and allow the auger to be too close to the outer housing.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 17, 2011 03:06

You couldn't posibly overload that setup. With that reduction a 1/4 HP would be enough.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 03:07

Partycook, that is a work of art! Beautiful - just beautiful. And clean too! Shucks, Big Guy would have a heart attack. :roll:
What is your gear reduction ratio? Also, have you ever burned a bushing in it? I had a similar setup once, (nowhere near as impressive as yours), but had to press in an inconel bushing. I quickly learned how to slow it down a bit.
Your motor looks as if it has the power to grind Volkswagon parts through the hopper! :shock:
Happy birthday this week ol' pard! Are you going to light ALL the candles on your cake ALL AT ONCE? :shock: OOOooo... the word "conflagration" comes to mind!
Nice machine partycook!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Tue Oct 18, 2011 15:37

Hi CW.
Closest that I can figure it's about 172 rpm. I started out back in the 60's with hand grinders until about 1970 when I ran across a grocer that had lost his lease and bought a biro 22 meat saw and this huge # 32 meat grinder for $125.00. from him. That old grinder weighed about 80 lbs (was 1 1/2 hp. ) Worked great until one of my friends managed to get the meat pusher stuck in the auger,the drive gear in the motor snapped into small pieces.I then went back to hand grinding until I saw this #32.
John
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Oct 18, 2011 20:56

DiggingDogFarm wrote:I could fashion a pulley guard with a aluminum half sheet pan or similar.

Whatdaya think?

~Martin
Definate lack of guards with all pulley systems I've seen. Would be a great addition to the set-up you're thinking of putting together. That's one of the reasons I purchased a stand-alone grinding unit, needed more power than my KitchenAid could provide but didn't want the danger (and size requirements) of a pulley system.
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Tue Oct 18, 2011 22:30

Hi fellow sausage makers, To answer the question of the pulley set up ,motor is a 1 hp. 3450 rpm. (freebee), motor pulley is 2 1/2 inch, input on the mandrel is 9 inch output is 2 1/2 inch 13 inch on the grinder. Hey Martin I also may need some help with the ratio math! Hey JerBear I know the hazards of running without guards, especially with our hunting group.Our hunting groups name is the Jagermister's (hunt-masters) we have been known to have a bit of malt while making a supply of beer sticks. EIN PROSIT
John
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Tue Oct 18, 2011 23:38

Thanks Martin,
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 19, 2011 17:21

Delrin is among the best bushing and bearing materials to be found. Plastic and quite inert.
Ross- tightwad home cook