Pig-in-blanket and sausage rolls

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Oct 18, 2011 18:03

Hi Ross,

Thank you, and I would love to know how your pig-in-blankets will turn out using the Borewors recipe, and please let me know?
It sounds like a delicious variation, more so with the wheat / rye bread wrapped.

Last Sunday I made more of the Chicken - Feta - Spinach sausage to freeze, and when about 1 lbs was left in the stuffer I was thinking about your pigs-in-blanket, wanting to save some chicken for the purpose. I did not go that route because there was enough casing on the tube to stuff the remainder.
But next time I will.

Our Pigs-in-blanket here I know as "Sausage Rolls" from childhood, main difference is the meat (usually pork) is wrapped with flaky pastry then baked together. (the meat bakes with the pastry).
These "Sausage Rolls" are more common in Britain and I believe in Australia. Recently an Australian Bakery in Atlanta has opened that also sells them.

I found an internet photo to show how they look.

Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 00:23

Awesome Bubba!
If I came over to your house, would you stuff a couple of thousand dozen into my saddlebags? :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 19, 2011 00:37

Hi Bubba,
I bake the sausage just enough to firm it up for handling. I make a soft yeast dough and chill it over night in the refrigerator. Then I can roll it out quite thin. I lay a strand of sausage at the edge of the dough and roll it of a single turn and cut it with a pizza wheel and seal the edges. Then I bake it as I would for bread about 20-25 minutes at 375 F.
We had some for lunch today just reheated in the toaster oven.
I may have time this week to make some more, Nancy has endorsed them as an item to be kept in stock.
I made apple pie for supper tonight. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Oct 19, 2011 02:36

Chuckwagon, if you would like to split this topic please, sorry I have now continued this interesting topic but "off topic", maybe call it "Pig-in-blanket and sausage rolls" :lol:
Chuckwagon wrote:If I came over to your house, would you stuff a couple of thousand dozen into my saddlebags?
Any time! :smile: In the city where I grew up, I saw a little Mom and Pop Dutch Bakery store grow into a Supermarket over the years and the quality always remained.
They make the most divine cakes, pies and sausage rolls. De Backery And the price one sees there is divided by 7 to revert back to US $

ssorllih wrote:Then I bake it as I would for bread about 20-25 minutes at 375 F.
I will try that, the Pig-in-blankets make ideal lunches. :grin:
Is that a smilie on the Apple Pie or is it sticking it's tongue out? :lol:
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 19, 2011 03:13

licking its upper lip. I have put a "yuk" face on one before.
When I make another batch of these I while take pictures.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 20, 2011 01:34

I have a batch of bread dough in the fridge and some meat warming from the freezer. Tomorrow I will grind.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 02:07

Sausage sure is extra good that way!!!
So are pepperoni and mozzarella rolls or crumbled Italian sausage with peppers and onions rolls with mozzarella.
All that sausagey fatty spicy yummy goodness oozing down into the bread....MMMMmmmmm!!!

~Martin :grin:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Oct 21, 2011 01:25

Below is a recipe I used some time back for Sausage Roll filling, it was uncooked when I rolled it with pastry.

1/2 lbs Beef Chuck, lean.
1 lbs Pork Boston Butt or Pork B/L Ribs, lean.
1/4 medium white Onion, finely diced
3 teaspoons ground Sage
1 teaspoon dried Thyme
1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
Season mixture with Adobo salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Egg whites from medium eggs

1/2 cup Chicken stock or 1/2 cup warm water with Chicken stock powder cooled down after mixing.

Cut meat into cubes, trim most fat off. Mix all above ingredients with cubed meat. Grind meat on fine setting, then grind a second time for extra fine texture.

Baked at 365 F for 25 minutes.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 21, 2011 01:32

Bubba, That looks like a good candidate. was your pastry of the pie crust sort or more of a biscuit type or of a french puff pastry method?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Oct 21, 2011 01:46

ssorllih wrote:was your pastry of the pie crust sort or more of a biscuit type or of a french puff pastry method?
Hi Ross,

I usually use Puff pastry for this.
I found a photo that I took at the time. That day I took a short cut (or call me lazy :grin: ) and bought frozen puff pastry sheets . The pastry was a little less than 1/4" thick after rolling out.

And I usually serve them with a hearty beef or chicken gravy that is used as a dipping sauce.

Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 21, 2011 02:08

A very appealing appearance. Looks like it will serve many.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 06:58

Bubba my friend,
That is much too nice a recipe to allow dust to collect on it and to let it pass away into the archives. How about putting a name on it and letting me post it on WD's "MRI" (Members Recipe Index). What are you going to call this beautiful creation? :?: Bubba's South Carolina Sausage Roll?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:07

Thank you Chuckwagon, here is an extended recipe.

Bubba's South Carolina Sausage Roll
1/2 lbs Beef Chuck, lean.
1 lbs Pork Boston Butt or Pork Rib meat, lean.
1/4 medium white Onion, finely diced
3 teaspoons ground Sage
1 teaspoon dried Thyme
1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
Season mixture with Adobo salt to taste (or regular salt if preferred)
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Egg whites from medium eggs (save the yolks for brushing pastry)

1/2 cup Chicken stock or 1/2 cup warm water with Chicken stock powder cooled down after mixing.

Cut meat into cubes, trim most fat off. Mix all above ingredients with cubed meat. Grind meat through fine disc, then grind a second time for extra fine texture.

Roll out Puff pastry (or any pastry you prefer) to slightly less than 1/4inch thick. Sausage meat and pastry are assembled and rolled to about 3 inch total diameter, lightly flattened. Wet pastry ends with milk or water to join, ensure the pastry joint is at the bottom of the baking tray.
Lightly brush with egg yolk on top.

Baked at 365 F for 25 minutes. (check after 20 minutes, sometimes I remove them after 23 minutes)

Serve with gravy of your choice, I prefer beef or chicken, for dipping.

Try a variation on the sausage meat by adding your favorite cheese to the sausage mixture, sharp cheddar works well.
Another variation to try is sprinkle the top of the rolled pastry with paprika before baking.

Ron
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Fri Oct 21, 2011 17:02

Talk about making one hungry!!!
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 21, 2011 22:52

I made suasage yesterday and bread on wednesday and today brought them together.
The bread dough is very cold so it rolls out nice and thin. I extrude sausage mix without casing.
and roll it in the dough. Image
When i get a sheet pan ful I bake it at 375 for 25 minutes and get this. Image
Sandy came by with her cubs, twin girls that I call the wolf cubs, and the cubs passed approval on the results. The rolls are best eaten hot, either fresh or reheated in an oven .
Ross- tightwad home cook