LEM Grinders

tooth
Beginner
Beginner

LEM Grinders

Post by tooth » Wed Dec 28, 2011 02:35

Hey guys,
New to sausage making, I've made 2 batches ground and stuffed on my Kitchenaid mixer. My mother in law just bought me an LEM #5 grinder for Christmas. I know she spent quite a bit on it since it's all stainless, but I'm thinking about exchanging it for a #8 if it isn't too much more. I typically make about 30 lbs at a time since my buddy and I will split the batches but once I upgrade I think we'll be making more and larger batches.

I have a few questions:
1. Is there going to be that much of a difference between the #5 and #8 and will it be worth the extra $ spent?
2. There are all other types of grinders out there that I've seen like the ones from Northern Tool and this one:
STX MEGAFORCE
which are cheaper and have much larger motors. But they aren't all stainless. What are all of your opinions of the full stainless vs. non-fully stainless? Would you recommend going with the larger motors even though it's not fully stainless?

I ask because I can possibly return the grinder I received, upgrade to a non-full stainless, and have money leftover for a stuffer. The stuffer is inevitable, but if I can save some money, I'm all for it.

Thanks for any help and opinions in advance!
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 02:53

I would keep what you have , its a darn nice grinder unless your doing more than 30# at a time.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Dec 28, 2011 02:58

Hi Tooth,

Welcome to the Forum.
Will be interesting to hear what other members advise, in my opinion you should stay with LEM. They are good grinders.

Also, if you grind 30 lbs batches, the #8 may be even a bit to small and rather go one size up, but it would depend on how often you grind.

Then also rather buy a matched size Stuffer for those batches. In other words, buying a 5 lb stuffer will cause you to re-load the stuffing tube about 6 times as opposed to a larger capacity stuffer that you only reload once or twice.

When I started out with this hobby I made small batches of 2 - 4 lbs, then expanded from there to making 10 lbs.
Ron
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Wed Dec 28, 2011 03:22

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

I'm already leaning towards the 15lb stuffer. We typically make a few different types each time so having to reload will be inevitable really. Actually, our first time we made 6 different types, our 2nd, 4 or 5! Each about 5-7 lbs/batch. We like variety.

What actually drew me towards the 15lber was the fact it's all metal gears rather than plastic. I thought I saw one for $130 for a 15lb last night but can't find it now. Maybe I was mistaking for the 5lber somewhere. Any advice on where to get the best deal for the highest quality 15 lb stuffer, I'm all ears.

Anyway, so what's the major difference in the sizes of these grinders, longevity, or the time it takes to grind? If I'm doing 30 lb batches and can do about 4-5 lbs/minute, I'll be able to get through the whole 30 lbs in no time with both the #5 and #8. But if you tell me I'll get twice the life out of the #8 vs the #5, well then that's a no brainer...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 28, 2011 03:42

The time spent grinding the meat is small compared to all of the other time involved in sausage making. My hand cranked No. 10 is good for a coupleof pounds per minute . that means just fifteen minutes for thirty pounds of sausage. You need that exercize if you are going to eat all that sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gringo Loco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gringo Loco » Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:26

Hey Tooth,
Welcome aboard!
I started out with a LEM # 8 and it was a good grinder. I have since moved to a # 22 from Cabela's and love it!! It will grind as fast as I can feed it. It will grind semi frozen meat with no hesitation! It comes in real handy when Igrind up an Elk or my friends come over to grind up theirs.
I like to do large batches as well. It is actually made by Weston. I also have a 15# stuffer I bought from Northern Tool. It is a great stuffer. I watched for free shipping or a discount when I bought mine. Saved a little money each time. :wink:
Good luck and happy stuffing. :lol:
Ponsa llena, Corazon Muy Contento!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 28, 2011 06:21

I just have to ask. What do you guys do with thirty pounds of sausage? that is enough to feed at least sixty people! Now I will admit that i saw a couple of people at Christmas eve service that could eat a pound of sausage without being accused of gluttony. I stand a towering 5'4" and I could walk under the outstretched arm of these guys. They were about two axe handles across the shoulders. However men that big don't arrive in platoon size groups. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Dec 28, 2011 19:23

Lem grinders are nice grinders. I would go with the bigger one. I just bought a Gander Mountain 15lbs stuffer with all metal gears on sale right now for $180.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 29, 2011 01:52

These grinds look like close cousins. I wonder how many manufacturers there are. My Number 10 doesn't have anybody's name on it. The box indicates that it was made in China. The hand crank ones all look the same especially the tin coated cast iron ones.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gringo Loco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gringo Loco » Thu Dec 29, 2011 02:03

ssorllih wrote:I just have to ask. What do you guys do with thirty pounds of sausage?
Hello Ross,
30 pounds of sausage sounds like a lot, but when you have a lot of friends who like it just as much as you do, it don't last long! :wink:
I also work quite a bit so I only get to make sausage when I have a little time. I always like to have a little in the freezer just in case.
I have some time off next week and I want to make a load of smoked pepperoni. Any good Recipes??
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 02:07

ssorlih- I'm glad people like to poke fun around here! Makes for a lively environment and I can certainly take it and dish it out as well!

Both times we threw "sausage fests" and had a party to sample the new hobby. Not surprisingly, mostly guys showed up :roll: I enjoy grilling and cooking for other people and they enjoy eating it!

Gringo Loco- what prompted the step up from the #8 to the #22? That's quite a bit of a difference.

Comparing the #5 & 8 LEM exclusively, if I use it say 1-2 times a month from a couple of lbs to 30+ lbs, will I get a much longer useable life from the grinder? I know that if I'm not using the grinder as a stuffer, I'll definitely get more life out of it. What I don't want to end up with the #5 is something not much different than the KA grinder. Just trying to figure it out, thanks in advance!
Gringo Loco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gringo Loco » Thu Dec 29, 2011 02:30

Hey Tooth,
I guess I am a little like you, I love to have friends over and grill sausage!! :lol:
What start out as a "once in a while hobbie" is now turning into a passion.
I believe in have the right tools for the job. If it is in your budget. I have found in the past that if you try so cut corners to much it will cost you more in tthe long run. My #8 was OK. I like to get things done and waiting for a grinder to grind meat is not for me. With my #8 grinder I was waiting on it to finish grinding the meat. With my #22 their is no wait time. I don't think i will every wear it out. It grinds so easy and smoooth. I wish I would of bit the bullet the first time and bought the #22. Now I have 2 grinders!! Money wasted in the long run.
Good Luck,
Gringo Loco
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 29, 2011 02:37

I haven't ever seen a worn out grinder. The plates and knives can be sharpened until they are used up but the rest is as durable as a manhole cover.
Ross- tightwad home cook
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 03:02

Plus it doesn't help that I pick up my pork from a wholesaler in Chicago that has hundreds of hogs on hooks when you walk in. It's self serve so you walk in, put on some rubber gloves and load your meat in grocery bags then take them to the counter to be weighed. It's dangerous to say the least I've picked up waaayyyy more pork than I anticipated both times!

All good info on the grinders, it's tough to make my decision though. I'm pretty much sold on staying with LEM because it's all stainless, just whether I should spend the extra dough for the #8 (leaning towards yes!)
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:30

Gringo Loco wrote:Now I have 2 grinders!! Money wasted in the long run.
Hi Gringo Loco,
See it as a smart investment on your part to have 2 grinders, if anything ever happened to your #22 part-way through grinding a batch, there will always be your #8 as backup. I would suggest don't ever sell the #8.
I keep a hand grinder as backup.
Ron