Sausage "Chatter"

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 05:28

Hi Revid,
Looks like you're picking up a few ideas eh? Allow me to make you aware of a couple of features you might be interested in.
Our site`s Members Recipe Index is here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146
Big Guy`s "Moose Pepperettes" are in the index with photos. Here is a quick link : http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=3458#3458
You might also have a look at Stan Marianski`s recipe page at this link: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes
Good luck with your project and be sure to yell if you need assistance from any of these fine yahoos!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36

hey guys thanks for all he great info.Got to bother you again though.I noticed one of the recipes has this"10 # Meat, 5 lbs venison/moose, 5 lbs. pork ".What does 10# meat mean?I wasn't planing on smoking anything yet,not graduated to that state yet,lol,so can I use the recipe but just leave out the cure and the smoking part?I want to try some fresh sausages first and see how things go then progress onto the smoking part.Going to check out the stuffer and s.s. tubes today online.Thats what I was a little concerned about,putting meat thru the grinder,holding the casings and trying to twist(I guess)the casing every 6" or so for the individual sausages.I figured that would be alot to do and once the meat is in the grinder its coming out regardless for sure.Atleast with the manual stuffer you have more control?Are there any guys who do the grinder/stuffer all in one setup?Thanks again,this is a kickass site for help.
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48

BTW,thanks Big Guy for the recipes.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 13:33

10# is shoft form for 10 pounds :mrgreen:
farrellbox
Beginner
Beginner

some fresh italian sausage questions .....

Post by farrellbox » Wed Jan 25, 2012 15:58

Hello everyone!i would like to asksome fresh italian sausage questions:

1.Chopped mixed fresh sausages need to use the bowl cutter? If you do not need that taste is the lack of flexibility, meat will loose?

2.in the finished sausage filling, how dry it? Otherwise it will burst when cooking with a pan.

3.is it necessary to add fresh sausage additives?For example, phosphate, sodium nitrite.

Thank you for your answer, if there are problems of Chinese sausage can ask me, thank you very much!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 25, 2012 16:19

Rivid, you can make the links after the casing is completely filled. I stuff with my grinder because I make small batches and It takes three hands if I want it to be quick.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Re: some fresh italian sausage questions .....

Post by story28 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 17:00

Hi there. Here is a good reference point for Italian Sausage right from the companion websitehttp://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/italian-sausage.

Personally, I wouldn't go with any additives but that is your choice.

You can cook it several ways, roasting, poaching grilling. I prefer a slow gentle poach and finishing on the grill. That way the casing is less likely to split and lose all that great fat and flavor.

I was looking for some more information on your culture's Jinhua ham. Do you know much about it?
Last edited by story28 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
farrellbox
Beginner
Beginner

Post by farrellbox » Wed Jan 25, 2012 17:17

story28 wrote:
farrellbox wrote:Hello everyone!i would like to asksome fresh italian sausage questions:

1.Chopped mixed fresh sausages need to use the bowl cutter? If you do not need that taste is the lack of flexibility, meat will loose?

2.in the finished sausage filling, how dry it? Otherwise it will burst when cooking with a pan.

3.is it necessary to add fresh sausage additives?For example, phosphate, sodium nitrite.

Thank you for your answer, if there are problems of Chinese sausage can ask me, thank you very much!

Hi there. Here is a good reference point for Italian Sausage right from the companion websitehttp://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/italian-sausage.

Personally, I wouldn't go with any additives but that is your choice.

You can cook it several ways, roasting, poaching grilling. I prefer a slow gentle poach and finishing on the grill. That way the casing is less likely to split and lose all that great fat and flavor.

I was looking for some more information on your culture's Jinhua ham. Do you know much about it?
first of all thank you for your answer, I want to know after completion of filling, on the refrigerator temperature? and roasting, boiling, grill temperature?

I have some information on Jinhua ham, where I live only two hundred kilometers away from Jinhua, what You want to know? you can e-mail farrellbox@gmail.com
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 17:36

farrellbox wrote: I have some information on Jinhua ham, where I live only two hundred kilometers away from Jinhua, what You want to know?
Everything :!:

As far as the sausage. You will want to hang it overnight in your refrigerator between 33 and 40 Fahrenheit or at around 4 Celsius.

I think poaching at 70 Celsius works well, especially since you are going to finishing it on the grill, it doesn't have to be fully cooked in the poaching liquid. Just make sure you cool the sausage in cold water after you poach it and cool the sausage down to 4 Celsius as soon as you can.

When you finish it on the grill, you should be able to hold you hand above the grates for about 2 seconds before the heat forces you to pull your hand away. That is how you know it is hot enough. If you can hold your hand there longer, it is too cold. If you cant even get your hand near it, it is too hot. The internal temperature needs to reach 68 Celsius. I would use a probe thermometer, placed in the thickest part of the thickest sausage BEFORE you begin grilling. That way, you don't have to ruin a perfectly good sausage once you check the temp by stabbing it. You also don't have to risk being blinded from squirting fat from the sausage :lol:
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 18:06

oh ok I just twist the casings to the desired length when Iam finished filling the whole casing?Clear as mud now.thanks
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 22:54

Yes thats how it done. twist one link clockwise the next counter clock wise , continue until the whole caseing is done. Twisting in alternate directions help keep the cases from untwisting. Un fortunatly it doesn't work with collagen cases. I tie off the individual links.

before linking

after linking

revid
User
User

Post by revid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 23:43

Iam some glad you told me it doesn't work for collagen because thats what I have.Just use twine then.thanks for the heads up,god knows what kinda mess I would've had.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 26, 2012 00:01

revid wrote:Iam some glad you told me it doesn't work for collagen because thats what I have.Just use twine then.thanks for the heads up,god knows what kinda mess I would've had.
I use this method with collagen casing, and it works fine. Just be gentle. If you stuff too tightly, the casing will burst when you twist it. That's true of hog or sheep casing as well.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 15:47

well guys ,heres my first two pounds of sausage.I managed to burst the casing once or twice.I noticed though that as I used up the meat the latter part of the sausage was getting really minced.It looked like a little paler thru the casing and almost a mush consistency.I used the plate with the wide holes,was I supposed to use the cutter as well?I ground the meat with the large hole plate first then the smaller one,should I have just did one plate?If it mushes it like that I think I will go with a manual stuffer.Gonna try some sausage for supper and see how the recipe turned out.Seems to me theres a knack to getting the right amount in the casing though .
here is the link to a pic,couldn't upload it here.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ceasar64/
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 26, 2012 16:09

Ruvid, There may be a "Y" shape piece in the grinder kit that supports the end of the auger when you are stuffing. Remember all of the stringy meat fibers (sinews) that wrapped around the knife and stuck in the holes in the plate? Well as they accumulate in the plate as you are stuffing they impede the flow of the mince. So towards the last of the stuffing it takes more turns on the handle to push the same volume of meat. That will mix the mince more but without the kinfe it won't make it any finer.
I would suggest that If you don't have the "Y" piece that you include the knife with the large hole plate when you are stuffing.
Ross- tightwad home cook