SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Feb 08, 2012 04:12

We can be and often are our own harshest critics. You made very fine looking sausage but if you see room for improvement that is how we learn. Most of us are craftsmen and no matter what we make we know where the flaws are hidden even when others declare it perfect.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sam3
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sam3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 13:15

Great looking stuff there NorCal and Nepas!
sam3
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sam3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 13:22

Here are some Smoked Jalapeno Sausages I made last weekend. 2 hours of smoke and a total of 9.5 hrs to finish. They came out nice a firm but not too dry.
I didn't cool them after they came out, think I'll try that next time.

Image[/img]
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 16:52

sam3 wrote:Here are some Smoked Jalapeno Sausages I made last weekend. 2 hours of smoke and a total of 9.5 hrs to finish. They came out nice a firm but not too dry.
I didn't cool them after they came out, think I'll try that next time.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o164 ... um/043.jpg]Image[/img]

Looks AWESOME.....Sam

Your becoming a master sausage maker.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Feb 08, 2012 19:22

That is great looking sausage! I like spicy sausage but the wife does't.
Dick

Never quit learning!
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Caddy Of Collagen

Post by nepas » Sun Feb 12, 2012 18:20

Ordered another caddy of collagen stick casings. This box is 17mm

Took them to smaller size vac bags.

I'm ready to make more, And they fit all my tubes.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 02:27

In honor of my friend in the Philippians I made Longanisa sausage and fixed it along with fried rice for dinner tonight.

Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 04:28

Dick, that is out - dang - standing!
Umm egg, peas, lovely fried rice. How did your Longanisa turn out?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 14:47

CW I am not going to say it was great but worth working on. My friend corrected me on the spelling, langonisa. I found my product to be of a grainy texture. Maybe not enough mixing to coat the fat to keep it bonded.

He actually said this " That is the best langonisa I have seen. Honest! The commercially made ones here has far too much sugar and preservatives. They are also colored artificially and looks like a sticky hot dog. That breakfast plate of fried rice and langonisa is a classic!"
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 08:54

Hi Dick, You wrote:
I found my product to be of a grainy texture. Maybe not enough mixing to coat the fat to keep it bonded.

Dick ol` pal, please don`t for one minute think I`m being critical. I`m trying to be helpful! I know exactly what you are talking about and we`ve all gone through it.

I don`t believe I`ve ever met a sausage maker who didn`t spoil one of his beginning batches by "breaking the fat" and turning the texture into sawdust. Anyone who tells you they haven`t done it at one time or another is either fibbing or they haven`t made much sausage at all. I surely had my moments. Most often, the "grainy" texture people refer to in sausage, is the result of only one thing - too much heat during the preparatory cooking. It is most important not to exceed the IMT (internal meat temperature) of 170°F., as the collagen will "break" and the fat in the sausage will become liquid.

As the temperature reaches 138°F. (59° C.) the sausage is protected from trichinella spiralis. At about 145°F. (63°C.) the sausage is "par-cooked" or "prep-cooked" for use on the grill later on. (Be sure to refrigerate the sausages until you cook and eat them.) Most sausages are safely fully-cooked upon reaching 152°F. (67°C.). At this point, the sausage becomes protected against all sorts of other pathogenic bacteria and microorganisms.

The temperature of 170° is the extreme upper limit and beyond this point, nothing will save the sausage. Once the fat liquefies, or even begins to liquefy, the sausage cannot be salvaged and it will taste dreadful. Often, you`ll see pockets of orange solidified fat inside the sausage after it has cooled. Sometimes you`ll see it on the floor of your smokehouse. Worse, the texture will resemble sawdust. Ol` Rytek used to say, "sawdust... just like sawdust", then shake his head.

Whether you use your smoker, your kitchen oven, or even a pot of water on the stove, to prep-cook sausages, if you take your time and GRADUALLY raise the temperature only a couple of degrees every fifteen or twenty minutes, the sausages will be just fine. This procedure most often involves several hours. On the other hand, if you attempt to shorten the process by raising the heat too quickly, you`re only inviting problems. Worse, if the temperature exceeds 170°F., you`ll have to toss the batch. And don`t feed them to your dog! He didn`t do anything to you. :lol: At this point, the only thing sawdust sausages are good for is shotgun practice, and with a little drying, they`ll even disintegrate in the air in a delightful puff of dust upon receiving a well placed blast of a 12 gauge. :roll:

OK, now that I have let all the air out of your balloon, please remember I am just trying to help you solve problems. I`m not being critical. Everyone on the forum thinks you are a great guy and we`re all pulling for you. Now, make another batch and slow down the heat.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Feb 16, 2012 14:43

Cw,
I knew that but didn't want to think I had caused it. :roll: If I didn't want to be helped while trying to learn this stuff , the failures would not be known by others. :mrgreen:
Dick

Never quit learning!
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sun Feb 19, 2012 04:59

Decided to make some Leggs old Plantation #116 Snack stix today. I used 3 pounds of Ground chuck 80/20 and 1 pound of ground pork.

Mixed in 3 ounces of the spice mix and the Cure #1 then put it in the stuffer.

All stuffed, I had a few blow outs this time.

Hanging in the smoker gettin ready for some Alder Smoke today. Never tried Alder on Snack stix so their gonna get 2 hours worth.

That there is some Original Bradley Puck smoke in them thar hills :)

The cat Gettin the last Mouse in the house, Scares the snack stix out me when he sneeks back there and grabs my hand :o

And finally all done, will hang and refrigerate for a day or two.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 05:16

Aaron, that stuff looks good enough to eat!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
oops1215
Beginner
Beginner

Post by oops1215 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 17:40

Image Image Image

Made a few sausages yesterday! Chorizo, Hot ITalian and Kielbasa! Firing up the smoker today to hot smoke!
oops1215
Beginner
Beginner

Post by oops1215 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 20:04

Just out of smoker! Can't wait for the taste test!