Photo Gallery Of Meat Or Sausage-Related "Other Product

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Photo Gallery Of Meat Or Sausage-Related "Other Product

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:24

Do you have a favorite recipe using sausage (or meat) as an ingredient? It doesn't matter whether or not it is the main ingredient, if it has sausage in it, why not share your recipe or information here?

I have probably carried on about this in the past but because I cook as well as make sausage I try to keep my menu as varied as posible. By now most of you know that I don't case much of my work preferring it uncased and more versitile. Tonight I blanched some collard leaves and removed the thick mid rib. I divided a pound of sausage into 16 pieces and wrapped each in a leaf and baked them in chicken stock. While those were doing I prepared pasta and red sauce to serve along with the sausage. The meal was easy prep and easy clean-up and very good eating.
Last edited by ssorllih on Sat Apr 14, 2012 23:00, edited 5 times in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 15:01

here is a family favourite

Sausage and Rice

1 package garlic sausage about 1 #
1 onion cut in strings (semi circle)
1 can whole tomatoes 28 oz. drained
1 can tomato sauce 28 oz.
1 can tomato paste 6 1/2 oz.
1 tsp. crushed chili
1 green pepper chopped
2 bay leaves

Brown one side of sausage in heavy fry pan with lid. Add onions and brown other side of sausages. Add tomatoes, green pepper, bay leaf, sauce, paste and crushed chili. Simmer for 20 minutes with lid on. cut sausages into coin sized chunks, Remove lid and cook on high until desired thickness. Usually about 15-20 minutes. Serve over cooked white rice.

Variation: use Italian sausage and do not add crushed chili.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 24, 2012 16:26

BigGuy, That sounds rather like Hungarian golash with sausage insteaad ground beef and rice instead of pasta. One of our favorite meals.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Jan 24, 2012 17:37

Here's one I use. Slice smoked polish sausage into 1/2 in pieces. Brown in pan, non stick doesn't get the browning that adds the flavor. Once it's browned, set it aside. Dice up some onions and fry till done in some olive oil. Add sauerkraut, recombine the sausage and onions, more olive oil to taste and heat it up. Once warm, serve with rye bread and butter. You can also use boiled potatoes, carrots, parsnip, or any other root veggies, in the mix, if you want. Sorry, I cook like my Mother, by sight. No real recipes.

Another one is, get Italian sausage, hot or sweet, what you like. Remove casing, pull in to 1/2 in. pieces. Again, brown till done. Slice up peppers, onions mushrooms, celery and cook them till done. Set everything aside, Add diced tomatoes, recombine all other ingredients and season with whatever seasonings you want. Oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, etc. Once it's to your taste, serve over pasta, rice, or eat like a stew. Also, crusty bread kicks this up a notch.

These are really quick meals that are good for you. Hope you enjoy them.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Beef jerky

Post by Keymaster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 02:20

I picked up 4 pounds of London Broil yesterday and sliced it up and soaked it in Lems Jerky seasoning mix for 16 hours. This will be the first time I am using my dehydrator, It was on sale about a year ago for $99 bucks and could not pass it up. It would be going in the bradley but My shed had some roof damage during the ice storm a couple weeks ago and the roofer will be here today to do the repairs and needs to plug into the receptacle where I plug the bradley into on the back of the house. So no smoke today ;D

Mid way through the drying process

All Done, It is really super tasty but missing the Hickory smoke. I am really impressed with the Dehydrator I got at Cabelas.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 08:38

Nicely done Aaron! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 07:44

ssorllih wrote: That sounds rather like Hungarian golash
Not even remotely like Hungarian goulash Ross, if you like I'll send you an authentic recipe for that dish.

Regards,
Gus
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Feb 12, 2012 04:29

Big Guy, we just finished feeding the grand-kids a similar dish, using some of this past week's experimental Italian sausage. We served it over rice pasta, which they call "s'ketties." :droolingSmiley:

Beloved Spouse is gluten intolerant, the grand-kids are picky, and I like sausage. BS and I have a little wine with it, we and the kids down some broccoli on the side, and afterward everybody "has a fat tummy" (according to the three year old) and no complaints. Great recipe.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Ground Beef Jerky

Post by Devo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 03:45

I had ordered some Halford's hot pepperoni snack stick mix but really did not want to make sticks today but wanted to try their mix so I made some GB jerky out of some of it.
90/10 GB Halfords mix and the recommended cure #1 for 2lbs.

All mixed up in my little chopper

Used my homemade jerky board

Used my A-MAZE-N-PELLET SMOKER but I ran out of pellets so off to Canadian Tire store and found these

Man they are black compared to the hickory I had left over

All rolled out and waiting to go into the smoker

One rack after 12 hours....long smoke and lots of beers

Brown paper bagged and into the fridge for the night

We will see how they taste tomorrow
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 03:47

Lookin might fine there Devo!!!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 23:26

Hi Gus,
I think that you should submit your recipe for a genuine goulah recipe with an actual family
history. No doubt there many variations from regions and families.
I am a great collector of family recipes so Please do submit it.
Combined with a good dose of your smoked csabai with pre-dinner drinks, it would certainly make an evening to be remembered.
I am licking my chops already.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 00:50

Devo,
They look great. You have got me interested big time. The only drawback is that the spices are not available here. Any ingredient list on the packet as to cures and phosphate,binders?
Did you only use beef mince?
Regards,
Jan.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Smoked Cheese

Post by Keymaster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 00:11

Smokin six pounds of Tillamook cheese today. On the roster we have:
Left Field-
Tillamook Vintage White Medium Cheddar is aged over 100 days, giving it fuller flavor and an award-winning smooth, creamy texture. It brings out the best in fruit and wine.

Center Field-
Tillamook Medium Cheddar is so rich and creamy, it's the world's most perfect food. Each batch, made from the same recipe used for over a hundred years, is aged naturally for at least 60 days. No wonder it won World's Best Medium Cheddar.

Right Field-
Tillamook Pepper Jack is the union of mellow Monterey Jack with sweet peppers and spicy jalapeños. As the hallmark of Southwestern recipes, it`s the creamy cheese with attitude that livens up everything it touches... including a toothpick.

** Descriptions taken from Tillamook website

Into the Iced up Cold smoker for 3.5 hours of Alder smoke.

All done, vacuum packed and stored at the bottom of the fridge for a couple months.

The white cheeses took on a lot of color but the yella cheese its not quite as apparent :)
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Mon Feb 20, 2012 00:52

Hi keymaster,
Have you ever tried to make your own cheese? I just finished taking a course in cheese making . Just finished making my first batch of Brie, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.I hope to graduate to making hard cheese. Smoking them is just another treat. Kinda like making Slammi. Sausage , cheese, and some malt." The good life. "

John
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 01:17

Hi John,
Making my own cheese is on my top ten list of things to do. My wife loves Brie cheese with them stale water crackers :wink: I like it too but cut the mold off. Maybe they need to get us a cheese thread on this here forum. Would love to see some pictures and small tutorial on your Brie.

Aaron