Zinc in galvanized metal a safety issue?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 26, 2012 05:46

All that you need for a smoker except the caedboard box. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Sun Feb 26, 2012 18:15

ssorllih wrote:All that you need for a smoker except the caedboard box. Image

Maybe someone that actually knows can set me straight -- I always avoid galvanized anything around heat, especially fire. I don't know when or why but somewhere along the way I got it into my head that was a potential source for toxic fumes. Have I been living with unfounded fears or is there really something to that? :?:

Oh, handles ... I don't have any. My name is Joe and it seems on every forum in the whole world that name is already taken so I don't even try anymore. Oxide is a less popular name in the West and is usually available, easy to spell, easy to type.
--------
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 26, 2012 19:17

Oxide, You have to melt the zinc before you can start to get any vapor and that is somewhere north of 1000 degrees F. You probably wouldn't eat anything any where near that fire. Now that isn't to say that using a galvanized bucket for food handling is a good idea.
When zinc burns the flame is a yellow-green smokey light with white smoke. Zinc oxide is used in ointments.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Sun Feb 26, 2012 20:07

ssorllih wrote:Oxide, You have to melt the zinc before you can start to get any vapor and that is somewhere north of 1000 degrees F. You probably wouldn't eat anything any where near that fire. Now that isn't to say that using a galvanized bucket for food handling is a good idea.
When zinc burns the flame is a yellow-green smokey light with white smoke. Zinc oxide is used in ointments.
Thanks for clearing that up. I have no idea where I got that idea but will but that fear to rest.

I like you custom made smoker. Working on one myself using 1/2 Weber kettle grill, a cardboard tube from a roll of carpeting, and a fine Allied International cardboard box. I wish I had known the galvanized was not a problem because I had a cardboard box for hanging cloths with a built in galvanized rod for hangers that would have been perfect for hanging sausages from. I kept coming back to that box as a possible smoker. Sadly, now it is gone.
--------
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 26, 2012 21:26

I wouldn't use a galvanized piece to hang sausage nor would I use galvanized hooks for meat. I think all of the meat hooks I have seen were tin plated never zinc. Just plain bare wood is the best choice for hanging the sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Mon Feb 27, 2012 06:26

ssorllih wrote:I wouldn't use a galvanized piece to hang sausage nor would I use galvanized hooks for meat. I think all of the meat hooks I have seen were tin plated never zinc. Just plain bare wood is the best choice for hanging the sausage.

I would not use either galvanized or wood to hang meat products ... stainless steel hooks. :wink:

Wood is useable but requires a lot of work to keep sanitary. I like stuff that goes into the dishwasher. :mrgreen:
--------
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 21:22

Oxide wrote:
ssorllih wrote:I wouldn't use a galvanized piece to hang sausage nor would I use galvanized hooks for meat. I think all of the meat hooks I have seen were tin plated never zinc. Just plain bare wood is the best choice for hanging the sausage.

I would not use either galvanized or wood to hang meat products ... stainless steel hooks. :wink:

Wood is useable but requires a lot of work to keep sanitary. I like stuff that goes into the dishwasher. :mrgreen:
With you on that.

Modern meat hooks are Stainless Steel. Never plated or galvanized. As any hunter or processor knows blood is very corrosive.

I wouldnt use wood either these days, To porous unless you treated it with acrylic, shellac or polyurethane and wouldnt want meat hanging for days on that.

SS Meat Hook

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Thu Apr 05, 2012 17:28

Just a FYI, you can get Stainless S hooks from most building supplies. They look just like th eone above except that they dont have the sharpened point, but they would hold the sausage just fine!
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu May 17, 2012 14:18

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... G_0470.jpg
Here is a method that we have used to keep the meat from slipping on the spits.I do not believe that the temperature gets high enough to break down the coating on the chicken wire. I have never been able to keep the meat from slipping by just tying. Any suggestions? I will be having a party for my daughter on June 30. 40 chickens on the rotisserie , will also be smoking 70 pounds of brisket.

John