SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Apr 04, 2012 14:37

Looks great Dick. Did you trim a lot of fat or was it pretty lean already?

Enjoy your Easter dinner. Let us know how it tasted!

Jim
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Apr 04, 2012 14:54

Here is the skin/fat side.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Apr 04, 2012 15:12

Dick, that looks fantastic! I would love to see what it looks like sliced. You will have to let us know how it tastes.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Apr 05, 2012 01:57

Hi Dick,

Man that looks like the best ham in the world!

If you send me your address I will come pick it up for my own consumption :grin:
Ron
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Thu Apr 05, 2012 03:03

Hey Dick,

That is an absolutely gorgeous ham. Is there a specific name for the trussing pattern?

Happy Easter!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:34

Here are the stix after 2 days in my experiment mode.

Real happy on how they got darker.

Shrinkage guessing was about 30%

The process really brought out the tang of the ECA. My wife said really good like store bought slim jims except without all the greasy oozing fat.

NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 19:53

Lynn, the trussing is called tie it enough that it will not fall out! :lol:
Dick

Never quit learning!
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 00:19

DLFL wrote:Lynn, the trussing is called tie it enough that it will not fall out! :lol:
X2

:lol:
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Cured Butt

Post by DLFL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 22:48

We had the smoked cured butt today and it was very good. I thought that the perfumes might of been a bad idea but not to worry.

Dick

Never quit learning!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Apr 10, 2012 03:08

Hi Dick,

I had a close up look at the cut ham photo, it looks divine! How was the texture?

One can see through the cross-section cut the temperature in your smoker is good.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 10, 2012 04:56

Nobody could find fault with that ham, It is lovely. AND the taste is always so much better than store bought.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 05:49

Gorgeous! And I can just imagine the flavor. Well done ol' friend.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Wed Apr 11, 2012 02:34

Hey Dick it looks fabulous! And I like the really technical trussing terminology, too... I must say that it looked very artistic!

And NePaS - nice stix!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Apr 11, 2012 13:37

Nepas those sticks look great. My mouth is watering wondering how they taste.

My smokers heatometer control has become my hand and the amount of heat is controlled by moving the sticks in the smoker and the fire closer or further away. Now if I ever get a factory made smoker I will have to learn all over! :roll:
Dick

Never quit learning!
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

25 POUNDS of Lebanon Bologna

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 07:47

Here`s a relatively QUICK N EASY version of Lebanon Bologna from a recipe that is significantly easier and faster than the traditional "ferment-n-smoke 3 days" version. Two of the shortcuts involve using a standard Snack Stick mxi (AC Leggs#116), and citric acid for tang.

I love the real stuff I had in PA years ago-and the store-bought stuff isn't the same- and I was hoping to replicate the smokey bologna at home. I've read many positive reviews of this recipe, so here we go...

Start with a load of beef (25 pounds of lean beef). The local market has a nice '2 for 1' deal on some nice cuts so I took advantage & saved some big $$...

I`m going to do a single medium grind (4.5 mm plate).
Grinding under way:

In less than 4 minutes, I've a big lug of lean ground beef...

To the meat I`ll be adding the follow ingredients. The recipe called for `dark brown sugar` but all I had was the light brown. Easy fix. I added some molasses. For a "Sweet Lebanon Bologna" I would double the amount of sugar, but since this was my first go at this recipe, I played it safe. I didnt want twenty-five pounds of "too sweet" meat!

I mixed the dry with an ample amount of chilled water and mixed the load.
All mixed & ready to stuff:

I finally broke down & purchased a smaller stuffer (5 pounder). Normally I`d use my kirby-cannon (12 pounds), but it`s in need of repair. So rather than use my grinder as a `stuffer` again-which would be absolutely nutz for doing a 25-pound batch- we`ll break in this little Grizzly

I`m using 4" clear fibrous casing for these bolognas. I`m estimating about 3 or so total. The new stuffer makes filling these chubs MUCH easier than the grinder ("doh! No kidding!`). The hardest part of the whole job was taking photos while doing it. The red tape you see on the work surface indicates the maximum length I wanted to make these chubs. This is important as we`ll see later.

I used 1/2" hog wire to seal the ends of the chubs. I wanted something strong as each of these chubs weighs about 8 pounds.

All chubbed up. Three large monsters and a pee-wee chub.

Now to the smoker...

The recipe calls for a LONG smoke. (12-16 hours minimum, longe =better), but there's no way that's going to happen. My plan is to give the chubs a good dose of heavy smoke for 6-8 hours and finish them in a water bath. After an hour of drying (no smoke) @ 130°), I`ll be using hickory pellets for smoke. Even temps of about 140-145° for a good part of the smoking process. I`ll amp up the temps as we close in on last two hours.

Two-hours in: Starting to pick up a good hickory red.

Six-hours in: Getting a nice even color. Two more hours & we`ll hit the poacher...

Regarding the poacher: My turkey poacher will hold a 22 pound turkey, but I need to make sure the length of large chubs don't exceed the poaching basin. I set a determined length (with the red tape!) when stuffing the chubs. Unfortunately, one turned out a bit longer and so I had to squeeze him in on the diagonal. Total time in the poacher to get it to 154° was abut 2 hours per load. The poaching liquid turned amber from the hickory smoke off the casing.

The other two I was able to fit together and they took about the same time as the first chub: about 2 hours to reach the final IT.
The little 'chubbette' I poached in a pot on the stovetop. The little guy only took about 25 minutes to hit the desired IT.

Tub for Two
:

The chubs went to an ice bath to cool and will hang overnight in my fridge to firm up before slicing.

NEXT DAY: After a night of 'chilling' in the fridge, the chubs are now ready to slice.

Since I only ground the meat once, I expected a coarser texture than my other 'smooth' bolognas. So I was happy to see that the slices held together nicely. Taste? Very nice smokey taste with a bit of sweetness & tang-pretty much what I remember Lebanon bologna to taste like!
It's not as dark as the store-bought stuff, but the taste is there! The slices have a nice, dense outer ring where the heavy some has penetrated. Very tasty! The fact that its very lean sausage (less than 20% fat) is a plus without losing any flavor.

After slicing up the lot, now comes the vac-seal bags. This should keep us in bologna for awhile!
It goes great on a roll with some horseradish mustard!

...and now to finish that seven-pound batch of braunschweiger I'm working on!

Kevin

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8