Insect screens on smokehouses

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Insect screens on smokehouses

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 27, 2012 21:41

I set a couple of pieces out to dry and in a few minutes the blowflies smelled meat and arrived in force. I counter attacked with a purpose made fly killing club and then laid down smoke. The smoke was much more effective than the flyswatter.

The meat is just going to have to do the best it can in terms of drying and accepting smoke flavor.

I have long thought that smoke flavor was an accidental side effect of building smoky fires to keep the insects at bay while drying meat. It also required a fire tender and that would keep the dogs away.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 00:36

I was just out on the back porch and noticed some mosquitoes flying around, the wife said "I was at Home depot today and they had mosquito plants" and I said "what are they, Citronella plants" and she was surprised I new what they were. The salesperson said they work really good, but so does a snake oil salesman. I dislike mosquitoes so much, I have yet to see what their purpose is on this planet.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 28, 2012 01:06

God made mosquitoes to spread malaria because he didn't offer birth control and the population would grow too quickly without some control.
Citronella leaves work well when you crush them and rub them on your skin.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 04:00

On April 22, 1897, carrying $8,000.00 in stolen bank greenbacks in his saddlebags, outlaw Joe Walker proceeded north along the San Rafael Reef to the Price River in eastern Utah. Turning his horse eastward, Walker escaped a posse by following the creek downstream where its flow has gnawed its way through the Book Cliff Range. My ol` sidekick Bad Bob named this canyon "Getaway Gulch" and its water arrives at its junction with the Green River at a place named Desolation Canyon by John Wesley Powell in 1869. Did Walker get away? Of course he did... temporarily that is... as two years later he was riddled full of bullets by sheriff C.W. Allred.

Bad Bob's "Getaway Gulch" is one mighty tough trail and we used to wear cast iron chaps as the tamarack and sage are awfully thick. At the confluence, you will find mosquitoes with six-foot wingspans carrying off small heifers clutched in their talons! Pack along two 5-gallon cans of industrial repellent, one for yourself and one for your horse. You may also wish to consider a .30-.30 caliber Winchester carbine for dispatching these mosquitoes, as a lighter caliber just makes them angry whenever you shoot them. :shock:

By the way, did you know mosquitoes have been on this planet about 100 million years! Additionally, we spend about two hundred million dollars annually to eradicate them. Worldwide, there are about 100 trillion of the pesky things derived from 300 species. The distance a mosquito can smell you? About 100 feet! He finally sees you at 30 feet and charges you unmercifully at about 10 miles per hour! Time to reload, cowboys.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 28, 2012 05:06

Not only are we out numbered Me thinks that we are inadequately armed.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Nakom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Nakom » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:59

I have recently learned mosquitoes are attracted to red, blue and black colors. I am about to go on travel and after 11 shots and hearing about the place i am going they imparted that knowledge. I got some permetherine to put on my clothes to help keep them at bay. It works well on my hunting clothes and has no smell so it should work on my work clothes i am thinking.

Nick
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sun Apr 29, 2012 00:15

Joe walker was a pretty smart feller so he thought. Going cemetary to cemetary putting up headstones with his name on them so the sherriffs would stop looking for him. To bad that didn't work out for him to well....
Nice story chuckwagon :mrgreen: