Sausage Pilgrimage

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
BenjaminTaylor
Beginner
Beginner

Sausage Pilgrimage

Post by BenjaminTaylor » Sun May 27, 2012 23:46

Where does one have to go if they embark on a Sausage Pilgrimage?

Country, city, storefront, market, factory, person to meet any suggestions.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sun May 27, 2012 23:53

Maybe this one might suit your needs...

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5329

Or maybe Bavarian meats in Seattle
BenjaminTaylor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BenjaminTaylor » Mon May 28, 2012 19:22

Suggestions for places in:

Germany
Poland
Austria
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon May 28, 2012 20:43

Hello all,
In the USA all regions have there own culture so just about anywhere is a good starting point.

As an example, if you want to take a Polish Sausage (Kielbasa) Tour you can concentrate on areas such as Chicago, IL. , Detroit, MI. , Pittsburgh, PA. and New York City, NY which all have rich Polish communities and old world markets steeped in Old World Traditions.

I will forewarn that they are starting to wane as the populations of the old world immigrates that brought those traditions and craftsmanship to this country gets younger and less interested in the old world craftsmanship and move more into the modern age of fast food and not necessarily good food. (That's why I started to learn how to make my own Sausages etc. with the help of this great Forum)

I and my Wife will be down in New Orleans this week for our 35th Anniversary and I have already found a couple of Southern Sausage places that we plan on checking out while we are down there on Vacation. If any members knows of any good places of interest would be glad to hear about them.

John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 28, 2012 22:00

BenjaminTaylor wrote:Suggestions for places in:

Germany
Poland
Austria
There happens to be an August festival in Poland every year and several members of this forum are signed up to go.http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/about
This is as good a place to start as you may find.
Ross- tightwad home cook
BenjaminTaylor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BenjaminTaylor » Mon May 28, 2012 22:29

I'm actually originally from New Orleans. Donald Link of Cochon and Herb Saint opened up Butcher. They make all kind of sausages and charcuterie. Definitely check out Cochon and Butcher for his sausages and cured meats.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Tue May 29, 2012 00:26

Cochon Butcher is one that is diffidently on the list! They have a restaurant that is associated with it and are on the top of our list. Vaucresson Sausage Company is another one that I'm interested in (Not sure what shape it's in web site stated that they are in limited production since Catrina destroyed the business and workers home)
John