[USA] Fresh Holiday sausage

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Fresh Holiday sausage

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 14:08

I have recently been making a fresh polish sausage for Christmas and Easter. As I learn more from you folks, I realize that the term "polish sausage" is very generic in nature. Probably because we don't know better.

So now I want to turn my holiday breakfasts into the real deal. Can any of our friends here provide their favorite fresh sausage recipe for special occasions? And tell me what the real name is? Rather than "polish sausage"? Also, correct me if my understanding is wrong.

This is what I have been making:

Polish Sausage - Fresh
10 lbs ground pork
2 cups ice water
5 Tb Non Iodized Salt
1 Tb Sugar
2 Tb Black Pepper
2 Tb Garlic
1 tea Marjoram
1 tea ground Allspice
Last edited by Dave Zac on Sun Jan 15, 2012 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Sat Dec 04, 2010 14:51

Dave Zac, to keep the order I suggest to answer your request each time in the new topic with the sausage name. Let's not post many recipes in one as they will be difficult to find later.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Dec 24, 2010 17:07

So I settled on the Kielbasa Biala Surowa recipe I found on the main site. The recipe is similar to what I had other than it used a bit of beef as well. I substituted venison for the beef. I brought some for our company lunch yesterday. Everyone loved it but many couldn't appreciate it.

I was also inspired by Nick to smoke some Kielbasa. I actual used the same mix as the white sausage, added the appropriate cure #1 and Paprika and smoked over Hickory and Oak chips. It too was delicious of course. :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Dave
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:32

Man that looks great! You gonna send me some of that for christmas? Haha. What size casing did you use?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Dec 25, 2010 13:51

Ha ha...we will see what's left after breakfast! You are doing OK yourself my friend :grin:

Pretty sure these casings were 32-35's Nick. Picked them up from a semi local butcher a few months ago and repackaged into my usable individual sizes.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 07:15

Dave, your smoked kielbasa looks fabulous! Was it served hot? I know what you mean by "not all appreciated it". My wife and I just hand-rubbed 4 entire bellies with honey. Cured and smoked it with hickory using ol' Ryteks recipe. We finished and trimmed slabs with cracked fresh black pepper and gave one to our neighbor. She said, "Well, this isn't like REAL bacon is it?" My wife just about fainted. I rolled my eyeballs and just let it go. Some folks will simply never realize what the REAL stuff is. Dave don't be offended by those who don't appreciate your hard work creating a superb product. Chances are they will never appreciate anything of quality in their lives.
Merry Christmas ol' friend. Did you survive that big storm in your area without any problems?
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Dec 27, 2010 13:40

Chuckwagon wrote:Dave, your smoked kielbasa looks fabulous! Was it served hot?
Yeah, both were served hot. The smoked was more popular. I however prefer the fresh if I was forced to choose. Prolly because I've been eating fresh polish sausages since I was a kid..way more than smoked.
I know what you mean by "not all appreciated it". My wife and I just hand-rubbed 4 entire bellies with honey. Cured and smoked it with hickory using ol' Ryteks recipe. We finished and trimmed slabs with cracked fresh black pepper and gave one to our neighbor. She said, "Well, this isn't like REAL bacon is it?" My wife just about fainted. I rolled my eyeballs and just let it go. Some folks will simply never realize what the REAL stuff is. Dave don't be offended by those who don't appreciate your hard work creating a superb product. Chances are they will never appreciate anything of quality in their lives.
I'm not offended by these folks...different strokes for different folks, eh? I just feel sorry for them a bit knowing what they are missing out on? Lots of people actually think this stuff just comes from the grocery store. Anything else is phony. Just like your neighbor..."Is this like the REAL stuff?" WHAT??
Did you survive that big storm in your area without any problems?
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
The big storm was well east of us. We only received a dusting...but it is brutally cold out. I don;t know how you endure the mountains year after year my friend. Must be the beauty of other 3 short seasons keeps you grounded? Hope you have a fantastic new year!

Dave Zac
BBQ Bob

Post by BBQ Bob » Thu Dec 30, 2010 16:17

Nice looking links you have there, Dave. "Substituted venison for the beef"...I love that! Made some smoked venison kabanosy earlier in the year... it came awesome.

BBQ Bob
25 years ago I smoked pot...now I smoke pork.

Klose Extended 20" Backyard Chef.
WSM
Retired Smokers
New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle ( destoryed during storm)