Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Shashlik

Post by Siara » Tue Feb 22, 2011 04:25

O.K. here we go with Shashlik's.
First, lets explain what it is.

Code: Select all

Shashlik or shashlyk (Russian: Шашлык, from Turkic 'Shish,' or skewing meat and -lik, a noun-making suffix' [1][2]) is a form of Shish kebab popular throughout the former Soviet Union, Mongolia, and most of central Europe. Shashlik is generally either beef, pork, or lamb (mtsvadi in Georgian),[3] depending on local preferences and religious observances. These skewers of meat are either all meat, all fat, or alternating pieces of meat, fat, and vegetables such as bell pepper, onion and tomato. Meat for Shashlik (as opposed to other forms of Shish kebab) are usually marinated overnight in a high-acidity marinade like vinegar, dry wine or sour fruit/vegetable juice with the addition of herbs and spices. While it is not unusual to see shashlik listed on the menu of restaurants, it is more commonly sold by street vendors who roast the skewers over wood, charcoal, or coal. Shashlik is usually cooked on a grill called a mangal.
Source : Wikipedia
Link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashlik
Photo : Wikipedia

My recipe is following:

1 kg of beef, most of the time chateaubriand, cut into 3x3 cm squares, 1cm thick.
1-2 lemons, squeeze the juice and add the same amount of oil of olives.
Add 1 spoon of black pepper
1 clove of pressed garlic
5-6 TBS of paprika (or until all will be like thick tomato juice )

Put in diced beef, stir well and leave for 24h.
Next day, put on wooden or metal stick, and add onions, bell pepper ( can be jalapeno ) and if you have, smoked bacon. Meat, pepper, onion, meat and so on....
If you use wood sticks, soak them in water for few hours.
Grill on high heat for first few minutes on each side, until black marks are visible, then put on the colder side of the grill, away from direct heat. I use gas grill.
Spray few times with apple juice while cooking.
Last edited by Siara on Sat Dec 13, 2014 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 05:17

Oh Boy!
Siara, this is a great recipe!
Just wait until DaveZak sees it!
He knows this stuff as "shiskabob".
GOOD STUFF! I'm sure we'll hear from Dave on this one.
Thanks for the recipe!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Shishkabobs

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 05:40

Hi Siara,
I just know that Cranky Buzzard is going to ask you if the meat should be marinated in wine overnight. Is 8 hours a little "long" for a meat marinade? I am really interested in hearing how the Polish people enjoy this "shiskabob" recipe. Do you make it often or is it just mostly for parties? Thanks so much for posting this recipe.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Tue Feb 22, 2011 06:03

Chuckwagon wrote:Cranky Buzzard is going to ask you if the meat should be marinated in wine overnight. Is 8 hours a little "long" for a meat marinade?
Well, I do not marinate in wine, but 24h in the described marinate only. Lemon acid and oil does the trick. As I alway keep it in fridge, where temp does not go above 5C, this 24h is OK. Maybe I should say, up to 24h as sometimes I do it in the evening, and I put on grill mid day next day.
I also do a chicken version, with other spices ( including yogurt ). So there are may variations.
If do I make it often, well, not often enough :smile: Parties, for sure.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 06:28

I'll bet your chicken version with yogurt is the HIT of the party eh?
Holy Smoke! That is incredible stuff. Is it a lot of bother?
I can just imagine that flavor. The Greeks here, have us marinate lamb in yogurt and it is absolutely outstanding.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 01:18

Siara, you are after my heart with this recipe!

I will attempt this as soon as I build a new grill. The smoker won't do it for me, and the wife wants me to make a new one, so this will be the first cook on it!

I haven't seen any chateaubriand steaks here of late, but I can get whole tenderloins and cut them myself for this one. That cut of meat is already tender, the marinade should make this where one can cut easily with a fork!

Now, about marinading in wine.... I prefer to marinade the cook with the spirits! :lol:

Charlie
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 07:15

Thanks for posting the recipe Siara, I think I'll fire some up when my son is home for spring break :grin: