Some great info and recipes on smoking Salmon

steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 23:55

Hi Salmonclubber,

These are indeed excellent sites, thanks!

I am familiar with the first one, http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/alderrecipes.htm

I posted a recipe there a couple of years ago. Check out;

http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/alderre ... PurposeRub

This is a recipe developed from an original, handed down, family formula. It evolved over the years and I found that friends and family were constantly inquiring about the ingredients. it was suggested that I copyright or patent it. Since I have way too much money, :oops: I decided to share it with the world. :grin:

Oh yeah! I won 12 lbs of western red alder chips for my effort.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Salmonclubber » Sat Mar 12, 2011 02:33

steelchef

thats a great looking recipe will save it and give it a try sometime Just smoked salmon is about 50 miles from my house they have a great product I drove by there about a week ago should have stopped in but didnt maybe next time howed you like the Alder chips I have used so many in my life I like hickory better LOL
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Mar 12, 2011 04:14

Yeah, Hickory is great but I still like alder, maple or birch for fish. A 1/4 cup of cedar chips add a unique flavour too.
We did some trout last year with some Tanqueray gin in the marinade. The gin has a heavy juniper component. We also added lemon pepper. The result was pretty good. Lemon pepper is an adition to nearly all of our seafood preparations now.

"How did I like the alder chips?" Well they were what we would call chunks. The smallest are a cubic inch in size. I bought an old food processor from the second hand store, soaked the chunks for a few days then busted them into more managable size.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

[Canada] Spicy Maple Salmon

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 18, 2011 15:19

We found this one in a wine magazine. It's not a marinade but a delicious basting sauce.

For a 1 lb. fillet:

1/8 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp dried hot chilis or sub your favourite heat source
1 tbsp soy or Tamari sauce

Combine sauce ingredients, stirring ocassionally.

Cover fillet with pickling salt or other coarse, non-iodized salt. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Rinse salt from fillet, dry with paper towel and return to the fridge, uncovered for 2 hours. A pellicle or sheen should now formed.

Place in a baking dish or on indirect BBQ heat. Coat the fish with the sauce and continue to baste as it cooks to your desired doneness. A sweet, salty, hot taste difference. We have used this with Northern Pike and Walleye as well, delicious! It would probably be good on ice cream. Enjoy! :wink:
Emmanu

Post by Emmanu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04

Body builder usually use supplement to take the better and rapid results.
Creatine is also naturally found in this fish, this is a popular supplement taken by bodybuilders to improve their muscle gains. Creatine can also be found in red meats and tuna.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 14:59

Emmanu wrote:Body builder usually use supplement to take the better and rapid results.
Creatine is also naturally found in this fish, this is a popular supplement taken by bodybuilders to improve their muscle gains. Creatine can also be found in red meats and tuna.

That is true but Muscle Joe is going to need to have one healthy appetite! The typical creatine intake recommended by supplement companies is 5g per day. Some companies advocate 10g. To kick it up a notch, some companies advocate loading phases with upwards of 20g in one day!!!

In order for a person to assimilate the same 5g of creatine in fish, they would need to eat closer to 3 pounds of it; RAW. If the person decided they wanted to blast their pecs and go for the 10g, they would have to take down another 3 pounds, equaling a whopping six pounds of raw fish in one day!

If sashimi was not to Muscle Joe's liking, and he preferred his fish cooked, he would have to ingest even more fish because heat causes creatine to degrade.

I only know this because I trained for 7 years in Yugoslavia training to become the next Mr. Olympia :wink:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 27, 2011 02:37

Kodiak Grizzly bears seem to do rather well on a diet of fresh salmon. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook