USA Charcuterie garlic sausage

Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

USA Charcuterie garlic sausage

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 23:52

I love the Charcuterie book and had to give the garlic sausage recipe a go, I added some cayenne pepper for a little kick.

6lbs of pork butt cut up and seasoned and in to the fridge overnite.
Spread out to get crispy in the freezer.
Grinding with the kitchenaid is still fine for these small batches.
Mixed with the wine and back in the fridge for a few hrs.
Sliding on the casings PITA :lol:
Stuffer all loaded up
Finished ropes
Twisted into links
Fried up a taste tester before stuffing.

The taste tester was amazing, I had to hurry up and load the stuffer or I would have fried up the whole batch :lol:

Charcuterie Garlic Sausage;

5 lbs fatty pork shoulder
3 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs ground black pepper
3 Tbs minced garlic
1 cup good red wine
1 tsp cayenne pepper (my addition)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 08:01

Hey Gray Goat,
Nice work! You've found the secret. Simplicity. The best sausage in the world is the most simple! Just a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic is pretty hard to beat.

On your next batch, try adding 2 level tspns. of Cure #1 to ten pounds of meat along with a cup of soy protein concentrate. Stuff the casings, link them, then smoke them for an extra special treat. Grilled on the outdoor grill, they can't be beat!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 22:48

Thanks CW, I really lucked out and got some beautifully marbled pork butts, I added no extra fat and they came out great. Do you have any pointers on using my offset for smoking sausage, it can be a bit of a challenge keeping the temps low? Or should I just hot smoke them until they are fully cooked?

Thanks,
Wayne
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 23:59

Hi Gray Goat,

The "secret" to successfully cooking-smoking sausages is to do it GRADUALLY. Most people don't have the patience to do it correctly and they wind up with sausage, the texture of which resembles sawdust. The secret is to raise the temperature only a couple of degrees every twenty to thirty minutes.

Try this: After grinding the meat and placing it into casings, be sure to pinprick them to remove any air bubbles. Place the sausages into a smokehouse preheated to 130°F. (54°C.) with the damper fully open. Pre-heating is an important step. When the casings are dry, close the damper until it remains only 1/4 open, apply hickory smoke, and increase the temperature only a few degrees every twenty minutes or so, until the smokehouse temperature reaches 160°F. (71°C.). Cut the smoke but continue cooking the sausages at this temperature until the internal meat temperature gradually reaches 155°F. (68°C.). Immediately rinse the sausages with cold tap water and hang them up to dry for forty - five minutes before refrigerating them.

Note that at 138 degrees Fahrenheit (59 C.), you are destroying any possible trichinella spiralis. As you surpass 152°; F, a vast number of bad bacteria and monstrous bugs are destroyed. Monitoring the temperature with a good thermometer is critical.

Shucks pard, these "bad bugs" include the vicious eastern Utah smiling sabre-toothed "salmon-nellie" - a fish-shaped microorganism so mean and offensive, that other pathogenic bacteria just naturally shy away from it! And that's not all! They are so villainous and dissolute, they travel around in "gangs"! :shock:

Anyway, have you ever wondered why we shower hot sausages with cold water to quickly bring the temperature down? The "carry over effect" in cooking is a little known phenomenon. When hot food is removed from an oven, the temperature will actually climb a few degrees (no kidding this time). You must stop the temperature from climbing to a point where the fat will "break" and become liquid. The cold water also helps prevent wrinkling of the casings.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 29, 2011 01:21

With roast in the oven there is a temperature gradient. I roast a raw beef at about 325 F. and that browns the surface fat and heats the outside of the roast way beyond 145 F. that I measure inside. But by the time I am slicing that roast it will be approaching 155 inside. If I want any chance of resusitation I have to stop cooking early.
Ross- tightwad home cook