[USA] "Two Types Of Hot Dogs"

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] "Two Types Of Hot Dogs"

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri May 20, 2011 04:46

(See photos by Keymaster at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5496)
(Also: The recipe for All-Pork Frankfurters is below. Scroll down to: "Lone Peak Hog Longhorns")

[USA] "Hobble Creek Hot Dogs"
(Ranch-Made All-Beef Frankfurters)

2 level. tspns. Prague Powder #1
4 tblspns. uniodized salt
10 lbs. lean beef chuck
1 pint icewater
4 tblspns. paprika
4 tblspns. dry powdered mustard
1 tspn. white pepper
1 tspn. black pepper
1-1/2 tspns. ground celery seeds
1 tblspn. coriander
2 tspn. garlic powder
1 cup soy protein concentrate
4 tblspns. powdered dextrose

To make all-beef frankfurters, cut nearly-frozen meat into inch chunks then grind them through a 3/8" plate using a little ice water to keep the plate and knives cool. Mix all the dry ingredients together with the Prague Powder then stir the mixture into some of the ice water for even distribution in the meat. Finally, mix every ingredient together, including the meat, making sure the curing agent is distributed entirely throughout the sausage. Emulsify the sausage in small batches inside a food processor, using ice water as needed to thin the mixture slightly and reduce the stress on the motor. Do not over process the meat. When a sticky paste develops, start another batch, refrigerating the last.

Stuff the sausage into 29-32 m.m. hog casings, 24-26 sheep casings, or plastic casings in desired lengths. Our gang always liked 22 m.m. "foot longs" in tender sheep casings. Hang the franks inside your kitchen thirty minutes or more, then cook them in 200° F. (93° C.) hot water until the internal meat temperature reaches 150° F. (66° C.). Use a probe-type thermometer with a cable and alarm. Immediately, immerse them in icewater, lowering the internal meat temperature to room temperature. Allow the franks to bloom in the refrigerator overnight before eating them.

[USA] "Horsethief Hot Dog Buns"
(Classic Hot Dog Bun Recipe)

Americans consume more than 16 billion hot dogs each year... seven billion during the summer months alone! That means we eat six hundred hot dogs every second! Shucks pards, no wonder we`re tippin` the scales. I wonder how this compares to the amount consumed in other countries. If you make your own frankfurters, please don`t put them on store-bought buns. You should have great buns to put them on. Here`s how to make your own:

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (.25 ounce) instant yeast
2 tblspns. white sugar
1-1/2 tspns. salt
1 egg

In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter only until tepid (about 110 degrees F.) In a large bowl, mix together 1-3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix the milk mixture into the flour mixture, and then mix in the egg. Stir in the remaining flour, a little at a time, until dough is made. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic. Cover, the dough and allow it to rise for 30 to 35 minutes. Punch it down and allow it to rise again before dividing it and shaping it into buns. Place the shaped dough onto a greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the buns are golden brown.

[USA] "Cowboy`s Hot Dog Mustard"
(Rodeo & Circus StyleMustard)

3 tblspns. vegetable oil
1 large onion (chopped)
1 large green pepper (chopped)
2 cloves garlic(minced)
1/2 tspn. celery seeds
1/4 cup dijon mustard

Using a large skillet, sauté the onion and green pepper over medium-low heat, stirring them often, until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and celery seeds and continue to cook until they release their flavors. Garlic burns easily so cook it quickly over lower heat. Finally, stir in the mustard and blend the flavors. The mustard sauce may be used immediately or covered, cooled, and refrigerated.

[USA] "Hobble Creek Hot Dog Relish"
(Western Style Hot Dog Relish)

1 cup onions (finely chopped)
1 cup cabbage (finely chopped)
1 cup green tomatoes (finely chopped)
1 small apple with peeling (finely chopped)
4 green bell peppers (finely chopped)
2 red bell peppers (finely chopped)
3/4 tspns. turmeric
1/8 tspn. ground cinnamon
1/8 tspn. ground cloves
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup of salt (for brining)

Use a coarse blade to grind the vegetables or pulse them in a processor, sprinkle salt over them, and mix them well, allowing them to stand overnight in a bowl of cold water. Next morning, drain and rinse the vegetables well. Mix all the ingredients together and bring them to boil over high heat. Immediately discontinue the heat and allow the mixture to stand and cool. Refrigerate and use the relish within three days or double the recipe and preserve it with the hot jar canning process.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 20:07, edited 8 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri May 20, 2011 13:47

Hey Chuckwagan,
You read my mind! (Thats Scary) :shock: Was just looking for an All Beef Hot Dog Recipe and then I look on the Forum and you posted one. Wow your good! :mrgreen: Thanks I will be making this one soon :grin: Thanks for saving me some reasearch time!
John
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat May 21, 2011 06:36

How many feet of sheep casing do you normally need for a 10# batch of sausage?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 21, 2011 07:21

Hey, hey JBK. I`m glad you like my recipe. I knew you needed it because my nose was itchin` and my ears were twitchin`. That why we moderators are "paid the big bucks"!
Anyway, I posted this recipe a few years back on the English sausagemaking forum and got some positive feedback with it. I had cut it down from an old recipe containing way too much ginger, allspice, mace, nutmeg, and even cinnamon - so I chucked them out. I left the mustard, coriander, peppers, and celery in the recipe as they are basic to the flavor of a frankfurter. I also added a trace of garlic. If you try my hot dog recipe and find it too bland, let me know and I`ll send you the version with all the spices in it. Did you ever get your vertical stuffer? Be sure to take a few pics for the forum to enjoy. Lots of folks would like to see how well you do with this recipe.

And Jerbear,
One hank of 24-26 m.m. sheep casing will accommodate almost 70 lbs. of sausage. As you know, sheep casing is much more tender than hog casing - but more expensive as well. I just made 20 lbs. today. Be sure to add water to the mixture to keep the motor from working too hard. Use a gear-driven processor instead of a belt-driven one and be sure the blades are sharpened. Dull blades tear meat rather than cutting it.
I hope you try this recipe. They are great on the grill. GO FOR IT!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat May 21, 2011 13:07

We're making a trip to the North Carolina coast next week for my son's wedding. Ten pounds of the Hobble Creek Hot Dogs will be joining us. :mrgreen: Thanks for the recipe CW.

Dave
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 22, 2011 03:51

My Goodness Dave,
If I had known you were that serious about the stuff, I would have given you my secret formula for buns, mustard, and relish too. :wink:
Please Re-check the recipe above. You've just got to try my Rodeo Recipe for mustard! :cool:

Please note that "Hobble Creek Hot Dogs" are all-beef doggies. (recipe above).
Some folks prefer an all-pork frankfurter... please try my "Lone Peak Hot Dog" recipe below:

Have fun on your trip and eat lots of dogs. They are great steam-cooked using beer, then finished on a smoky grill. Yum!

Hey Dave, have you ever misplaced something around your house? You probably looked for it until it drove you crazy eh? Well, I know how to find it. Simply buy a replacement. The old one will show up right away! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun May 22, 2011 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 22, 2011 05:18

Have you ever noticed that you always find something in the last place you look for it?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 22, 2011 08:47

[USA] "Lone Peak Hog Longhorns"
(All Pork Frankfurters)

10 lbs. pork butt
2 level. tspns. Prague Powder #1
1 pint ice water
4 tblspns. paprika
4 tblspns. ground mustard powder
1 tspn. freshly ground black pepper
1 tspn. ground white pepper
1-1/2 tspn. ground celery seeds
1 tblspn. coriander
2 tspns. garlic powder
4 tblspns. Un-iodized salt
1-1/2 cups soy protein concentrate
4 tblspns. powdered dextrose

Do Rocky Mountain piggies have longhorns? :roll: Of course not, although we like to tease "tenderfeet" with tales of jack rabbits and hogs wearing antlers! :shock: Cut the meat (with its fat) into chunks and then grind it through a 3/8" plate. Mix all the dry ingredients together with the Prague Powder then stir the mixture into some of the ice water for even distribution in the meat. Finally, mix every ingredient together, including the meat, making sure the curing agent is distributed entirely throughout the sausage. Emulsify the sausage in small batches inside a food processor, using ice water as needed to thin the mixture slightly and reduce the stress on the motor.

Stuff the sausage into 24-26 mm. lamb casings for franks, or even 32-35mm hog casings for larger diameter doggies. Twist or tie links into desired lengths for hot dogs. Hang the franks inside your kitchen to dry them thirty minutes, while you preheat your smokehouse to 120° F., almost closing the dampers. Hang the sausages on smoke sticks then raise the smokehouse temperature gradually (a few degrees at a time) to 160° F. over the next 90 minutes with hickory smoke, until the internal meat temperature reaches 148° F. Use some caution raising the heat. If you try to hurry the process by using too much heat too quickly, the texture will resemble sawdust! For more moist franks, use a steam cabinet or Chinese bamboo steamer to heat the doggies to 152°F. internal meat temperature. Do not allow them to reach over 160° F. or you`ll break the fat. Shower the franks with cold water and allow them to "bloom" overnight inside a refrigerator.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 20:07, edited 5 times in total.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 02:28

DiggingDogFarm
I would recommend using soy protein if you`re making frankfurters or lunch meats. The soy protein binds the fat and meat for a smoother consistency. An alternative would be non fat dry milk powder, but not to be confused with dry milk bought at our local grocery store. The non fat milk powder is formulated for sausage making, but soy protein is a preferred product offered to the sausage maker.
As for the dextrose, typically used for fermented salami, dextrose aids in the fermentation process in dry cured and semi dry sausages. In this case I`m thinking it is used for flavoring.

Hope this helps, any questions fire away.
Chow
Uwanna
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 19:42

DDF
I`m sure back in the day, the frank known today as the hotdog, was pretty much spice, salt and meat. The texture likely was not like the dogs you would see these days. As for the soy protein powder, try a milk powder or whey powder. I have used a meat binder called (special meat binder) sold from Butcher Packer with good success, the ingredients are blended of "instantized sodium phosphates" by my calculations I use 2.5 tsp per 5lbs of meat, the 8 oz package will mix with 25lbs of meat.
If the dextrose is an issue, I would omit the dextrose. I`m sure the dextrose is added to help blend the seasonings.
If you plan on making a batch of dogs, try the special meat binder; keep notes of your progress and maybe a few snapshots of the project to share with all on this site.
If you visit Butcher packer, don`t overlook their spice section, great price on spice and seasonings.
Remember post your progress here on the site.

Chow
Wally
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 02:17

Hi HotDogAtTheDigFarm,

This is my recipe so I better defend it. First, there are no phosphates in the recipe. I take the same approach as Stan does in making sausage without questionable and controversial "chemicals". However, natural products, used as additives, are another story altogether. Soy protein concentrate is a most excellent binding agent and most doctors would rather you consume this natural protein in your sausage than other "special meat binders". (sorry Uwanna and Big Guy but Siara has shown me the specs on the stuff - it`s scary!). If you are intolerant to soy, then you may have no other choice than to use milk powder. However, I would remind our readers that we`re referring to "dairyfine" milk powder available from supply houses or dairies. It`s not the stuff you buy in a box on aisle 12 at your local grocery.

I`m also a diabetic. As the recipe needed a most simple form of glucose, I chose dextrose (refined from corn starch) which is only 70% sweet as sugar (although it is still... sugar!) Just like salt, it also helps bind and modify proteins. It is readily used by any available lactobacilli without having to be further broken down. In other words, if you allow the primary bind to rest in your refrigerator a day or two, it will add a distinctive snap to the taste. So, yes, I added it because it immediately feeds any naturally occurring pediococci or lactobacilli. However, I doubt if one could call dextrose (glucose), a "chemical" of concern. Of course you may omit dextrose if so desired, but the flavor of the recipe will change. The same holds true with omitting the soy protein, although it`s primary use is that of a binder.

If you choose to omit the soy protein, I would be sure the meat is properly emulsified to develop the change in the proteins actin and myosin (actomyocin). Don`t over-process the mixture, but be sure that the meat mass is sticky before you stuff it into casings. It is very important to keep the emulsion cold, cold, cold, during development.

Finally, you asked if yesteryear`s hot dogs were inferior to those of today. I believe they were although pork in those days was completely different. Some old timer`s just shake their heads and say this "young generation" will never know how "real" pork tasted before the 1970`s. On the other hand, since then, mankind has learned much about the processing of meat products including major steps in safety, flavor, and certainly convenience. The FSIS (MID of the USDA) et. al, have been the watchdogs of the industry and have become very good at their job. Are today`s dogs a better product? Absolutely.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Aug 11, 2011 04:38

Regarding the inclusion or avoidance of dextrose in the product & its; impact of blood-sugar levels:
The key is absorption rate by the body. The simpler the sugar, the more immediate the body's absorption & deposition into the bloodstream. One way to mitigate (slow) absorption (=elevated blood sugars) is to lower 'digestive speed' upon which the body can break down the sugar. Adding sugar (in any form) to a food product high protein and fat (versus once high in carbohydrates) will slow the absorption rate and one is less likely to have a 'blood-sugar spike.'

I consider most of the meat products I make (sausages in particular) to be mainly protein, fat with only minimal carbs. The addition of, lets say, 2 TBLs of dextrose to 10lbs of meat (70/30 lean to fat) is unlikey to cause an unnatural rise in my blood sugar (spike) as the absorption is mitigated by the slower digestion of the product by the body. Adding carbohydrate (flour binders) such as NF dry milk raises the potential chance as NFDM contains simple carbs in the form of lactose.

In the bigger scheme of things, I dont consider hot dogs & the amount of 'sweeteners' within to be a major player in blood sugar control. I'd be more concerned about the carbs in the buns, sweet relish, ketchup, piles of potato chips or potato salad. That's where the danger lies and those tend to be the culprits that'll spike your blood sugars.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Kevin
Type I diabetic for 24 years....
Chuckwagon wrote:Hi HotDogAtTheDigFarm,
I`m also a diabetic. As the recipe needed a most simple form of glucose, I chose dextrose (refined from corn starch) which is only 70% sweet as sugar (although it is still... sugar!) Just like salt, it also helps bind and modify proteins. It is readily used by any available lactobacilli without having to be further broken down. In other words, if you allow the primary bind to rest in your refrigerator a day or two, it will add a distinctive snap to the taste. So, yes, I added it because it immediately feeds any naturally occurring pediococci or lactobacilli. However, I doubt if one could call dextrose (glucose), a "chemical" of concern. Of course you may omit dextrose if so desired, but the flavor of the recipe will change. The same holds true with omitting the soy protein, although it`s primary use is that of a binder.

If you choose to omit the soy protein, I would be sure the meat is properly emulsified to develop the change in the proteins actin and myosin (actomyocin). Don`t over-process the mixture, but be sure that the meat mass is sticky before you stuff it into casings. It is very important to keep the emulsion cold, cold, cold, during development.

Finally, you asked if yesteryear`s hot dogs were inferior to those of today. I believe they were although pork in those days was completely different. Some old timer`s just shake their heads and say this "young generation" will never know how "real" pork tasted before the 1970`s. On the other hand, since then, mankind has learned much about the processing of meat products including major steps in safety, flavor, and certainly convenience. The FSIS (MID of the USDA) et. al, have been the watchdogs of the industry and have become very good at their job. Are today`s dogs a better product? Absolutely.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 07:08

DogFarm wrote:
BTW....I noticed that your recipe is very similar to Rytek Kutas' recipe......
http://www.sausagemaker.c.../checklist.html

I also noticed that the Mariański recipe doesn't have soy (milk powder) or dextrose....
http://www.wedlinydomowe....-recipes/hotdog

I'm excited to find where this project leads.
Uhhh... what is your point DDF? :sad: If you look back at my posts, you'll see that I've made no secret of the fact that I knew Rytek (Richard) Kutas in 1965 Las Vegas, Nevada, where he owned and operated the "Hickory Shop". He was a good friend and often stuffed my saddlebags choc-full of recipes. Back in many of my posts, I give him full credit for many of the recipes I've posted. Ol' Rytek passed away in 1998 but I still maintain a close relationship with Miroslaw "Mac" Stanuszek at the Sausagemaker in Buffalo, one of the finest gentlemen I've ever met.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 07:38

Thanks for clarifying DDF. Appreciate your support!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 02:29

BriCan,
DogFarm`s question was: Were they inferior to modern day dogs? We are perhaps confused as to DogFarm`s definition of "inferior". In flavor? Yes. In quality? I still don`t believe so and I`ll stand by my statement for several reasons. Allow me to explain my point.

Listeriosis, the infection of listeria monocytogenes (sometimes called "the hot-dog disease") was responsible for killing twenty-three of your own fellow Canadians during a single incident of food contamination merely three years ago! Four separate class-action lawsuits were filed in Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and in your own province of British Columbia. In Ontario alone, the suit is claiming damages of $350 million dollars.

I have to be one of the few people who seem to think that our USDA and FSIS are performing an incredibly difficult task very well. And believe me, I`ve watched them for some time. I've talked to them on the phone and check with them regularly for new rules and innovations. In my opinion, they are performing a Herculean task very well.

Renown author Upton Sinclair described the filthy conditions of a Chicago meatpacking house in nauseating detail in 1905. His novel clearly defined the safety hazards that the germ-infested, foul, and unsanitary conditions posed to meat consumers everywhere. Sinclair`s publication caused public furor and soon consumers were demanding changes in meat handling and meat products production. Sinclair urged President Theodore Roosevelt to support legislation requiring not only the clean-up of the industry, but the presence of federal inspectors inside all meat-packing houses. The public also insisted that a set of legal guidelines be established for the industry. One year later, both the Food and Drug Act and the Meat Inspection Act were passed. Note that this was not big government pushing legislation down the throats of the consumer. The two new federal acts were the result of public response! The new laws and regulations put many meat packers out of business. Others cleaned up their act. It was an expensive and unparalleled step in the history of the US meat industry.

The United States Department of Agriculture`s "Bureau of Chemistry" enforced the two federal acts until 1927, when the old 1906 Food and Drug Act was reorganized becoming the Food, Drug, and Insecticide Administration. Four years later it became the Food and Drug Administration. Just before World War II, the FDA was transferred from the USDA to the Federal Security Agency - which became the Department of Health and Human Services in 1953. Under the Eisenhower administration, many positive changes were made and new procedures were established, further insuring the health of the public by eliminating many unsanitary practices responsible for meat contamination. Then during the 1950s and 1960s, something totally unprecedented took place. Legally required routine inspection increasingly focused on wholesomeness and visible contamination. At last, the prevalence of animal disease as a food safety problem began to decrease. However, there was yet no legislation protecting the consumer from mislabeling and something we know as "economic adulteration". And believe me, back then there was plenty of "economic adulteration" in the meat industry. Again, the public spoke up. Again the government responded. I was there and I lived through it. In 1958 the "Food Additive Amendment" was established and for the first time in our history, inspectors had the "teeth" to enforce laws regarding the addition of questionable chemicals including animal drug residues found in meat and poultry products and sausages. Then during my college years, the 1967 Wholesome Meat Act was passed. Laws became clearly defined and each state in the Union was required to conduct adequate inspections of America`s meat. Rytek Kutas was very excited about the new legislation and remarked how it made "sloppy meat houses and packing plants finally clean-up". Throughout the 1970`s, the names of the various inspection agencies were scrambled around a bit and even placed beneath new divisions of the USDA. Finally, in 1977 the Food Safety And Quality Service was established and assigned to the Animal And Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) which had been established in 1972. Then on June 17, 1981, the Food Safety And Quality Service was renamed the "Food Safety and Inspection Service" (today`s FSIS).

In 1993, an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 occurred in the Pacific Northwest. It killed four persons and caused the illness of another 400! Again the public rallied and demanded change for safer ground beef products - including hot dogs! The FSIS responded by increasing more "science-based" testing rather than relying upon the old organoleptic methods of inspection (involving sight, touch, and smell). The FSIS established the first HACCP or "Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point" system of meat inspection and during the summer of 1996, new laws regarding the prevention and reduction of microbial pathogens in raw meat products took effect. In 2000, further legislation beefed up the enforcement of these new laws. Today more than 9,000 meat processing plants in the United States are regularly inspected for microbial pathogens in meat - (6,500 federally-inspected and 2,550 state-inspected meat and poultry slaughtering and processing plants). Our national Center For Disease Control has attributed the implementation of the new laws as the primary factor responsible for the decline of bacterial food-borne illness in our country since 1996. Incredible as it seems, all pork found in retail stores is either USDA inspected for wholesomeness or inspected by state systems which have standards equal to the federal government. Each animal and its internal organs are inspected for signs of disease. Now that`s something that simply has not taken place historically - especially using today`s microbial detection savvy and equipment. So, was yesteryear`s hot dog a tastier product? Yeah, probably. Was it a better product? Absolutely not!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon