[USA] Boudin, Cranky Buzzard's Texas Style

CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Boudin, Cranky Buzzard's Texas Style

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 00:23

Like the title said, nothing real special, and it's not even cooked yet! But I had fun making this stuff. It's been almost 4 months since my last batch and I have been going through withdrawals!!! :shock:

Meat and veggies ground for boudin

Boudin done and ready to twist and package. No other pics of the boudin since the wife was napping...

The wife has an uncle that asked me to recreate an Italian beef sausage he used to eat while in college. This is my version... 6# of beef with 2# of pork.

Ground up, ready to season, and mix

Seasoning. All seasonings are mixed into 200ml of wine so that it mixes together well and doesn't have clumps. Cure is included.

Results of the patty fry sample... Almost NO grease in the pan after frying, just the way I like it!

All stuffed and ready to twist and package.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, I'll get some cooked pics in a little while, I have a 6-pack calling me first! :mrgreen:

Charlie
Last edited by CrankyBuzzard on Sat Jan 14, 2012 08:55, edited 2 times in total.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 02:16

Hi Charlie,
Those pics look rather good. I wish that I was that far advanced on this forum that I could actually post pictures.
Those sausages make me hungry just looking at them. Luckily I will be making some next week-end if time permits.
Do you use flaked ice in your meat when grinding? You mentioned you used cure, is this necessary in sausages that you are going to freeze/fry?
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 02:40

I don't use ice in my meat, I just put it in the freezer until it really firms up and then grind.

I use the cure in my raw sausages since I smoke them at low temps until done. The boudin didn't have cure in it since it is cooked completely prior to stuffing. The only raw material on those links is the casing and a quick steaming takes care of that.

I use photobucket to host my pics and I then just paste the code for them to show up.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 04:53

Hey Cranky,
Good to hear from you ol' pard. Several folks have asked about you. Everything ok? Sure nice to see you post a recipe again. Hope all is well.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:54

Hi Cranky Buzzard!
How about posting your recipe for this boudin sausage? Lots of folks would like to make it. :mrgreen:
Thanks Charlie!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Jul 15, 2011 20:44

Hi CrankyBuzzard,

I'd also be very interested in the Boudin sausage recipe, please.

Some time ago I had deep fried Boudin Balls, they were outstanding, but have never tried the sausage.

Regards
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 03:59

Bubba,
Click on this link: http://crankybuzzard.com
:lol:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:00

Hi Chuckwagon,

He has a very interesting site! It's a temptation to look at all his good food and home brewed beer there at 7 am.

Also, I met Bubba and Earl. :lol:

Regards
Ron
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Jul 16, 2011 16:18

No way I'll ever post grandma's secret boudin recipe!

But, since grandma never made boudin I'll post mine! :mrgreen:

Now, PLEASE keep in mind that this recipe is an approximate since I measure NOTHING more than the meat... You will need to adjust to your and yours tastes...

Ingredients:

pork butt
pork liver or Braunschweiger if pork liver cannot be had
celery
onion
carrots
bell pepper
garlic
bay leaf
FRESH ground black pepper
parsley
green onions

creole seasoning
old bay seasoning
thyme
cayenne pepper
rice

Now, here comes the hard part for me since I seldom measure my spices and veggies when making boudin, I'll TRY and get close to what I do.

PORK PREP

For this you will place all of the below ingredients into a big pot and simmer until the pork is ABOUT to fall apart. AFTER browning pork in pot.

3.75 pounds of pork butt cut into 1.5 x 1.5 inch pieces
2 - yellow or white onions cut into quarters
4 - ribs of celery cut into 3-4" pieces
3 - carrots cut into 2" pieces (no need to peel)
1 - bell pepper sliced into quarters
10 - cloves garlic sliced NOT chopped... Sliced seems to permeate better than chopped
3 - bay leaves whole
3 - tsp fresh ground pepper
a little olive oil
water to cover all.

Brown pork in olive oil in pot that you plan to cook ALL of the above in... Turn the heat to HIGH, drop in the olive oil, and then dump in the pork. Cook FAST and stir often until browned. Once browned, pour in some water to stop cooking action. If using Braunschweiger leave it in the frig...IF using pork liver brown it as well at this point.

Now it's time to add the rest of the ingredients above in the PORK PREP section... After adding all of the ingredients, add water until everything is covered and then bring to a ROLLING boil. After getting to a boil, drop the heat to a simmer and let cook until the pork is ALMOST falling apart.

Turn off heat and let the pot sit until cool.

Once the contents of the pot are cool enough for you to put your hand into, it's time to remove ONLY the pork from the pot and place it onto a plate, in a bowl, or wherever you want to stage it...

Other STUFF prep

Ok, while the pork is simmering you need to do the following for the filler portion of the boudin...

chop 3 onions of choice,
chop 2 bunches of green onions and make sure to separate the greens from the onions.
chop 6 tsp of garlic
chop into FINE pieces a whole bunch of parsley
combine; 8 tsp salt, 4 tsp cayenne pepper, 3 tsp old bay, 3 tsp creole seasoning, 1.5 tsp thyme, 4 tsp fresh ground black pepper.

Also cook 1.5 cups DRY rice per 2 pounds of meat. Remember the pork liver or Braunschweiger in your calculation. Use your pork stock to cook the rice in!

Once the pork is done, strain out all of the meat and discard the veggies. Put the stock back on the stove top and let it boil down to about 1/2 in case you need a little moisture after grinding. This will also be used to cook your rice.

Now take the onions, green onion bottoms, and garlic and saute until translucent.

Grind ALL meat and green onion tops through a 3/8" plate. If using pork liver grind it now as well. If using Braunschweiger wait and add it in by hand during the mixing phase.

Now place the meat and cooked veggies into a mixing vessel of choice. Mix your spices in with a little of the stock left over from cooking the meat. Add the spices, parsley, and mix VERY well into the meat. If using Braunschweiger now is the time to add it in as well.

Mix, mix, mix... Once the meat, veggies and spices are mixed you can now add your cooked rice into the meat mixture. Mix, mix, mix again.

Now, taste the mixture. ALL of the ingredients are cooked so it's safe to taste straight from the mixing vessel. If needed you can now add more spice if you want.

Once you have the boudin mixture where you want it, it's time to stuff.

To cook, I recommend steaming over any other method. Prior to steaming take a needle and poke quite a few holes in the casing to prevent splitting.

This is a sausage that BEGS to be modified. Mine is constantly changing depending on guests and such.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If all goes well for me today, I'll do a step by step with pictures tomorrow.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 04:56

Wow Cranky, That's incredible! Thanks for sharing. I'm really lookin' forward to your "step-by-step" and photos. You're going to make Bubba and a bunch of other folks very happy! Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 17, 2011 15:28

Hi CrankyBuzzard,

Likewise thank you from me, as Chuckwagon said that is incredible!

I can't wait to try this.

Regards
Ron
Ron
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Jul 18, 2011 14:41

Here is a "pretty close" step by step for the boudin I made yesterday. I deviated from the above recipe a bit since I made this batch for my father and he likes a little more kick to his. Like I said before, this recipe just begs to be modified to suit your personal taste.

For this batch of boudin I used 6 pounds of butt and 2 pounds of Braunschweiger. Keep in mind, my measurement of 6 pounds of meat is AFTER cooking! I started with an 8 pound butt.

I forgot to show the browning part of the recipe, but I figure most folks know how to brown meat. :mrgreen:

After browning the meat I chopped all of my veggies to boil with and combined them in a pot that was cool for picture taking ease. After taking the pictures I dumped them in with the meat in the original pot. As you can see, I used Anaheim peppers in place of bell peppers for this batch and used more onion and such since I used more meat.

Then I filled the pot with water and brought to a boil. After a rolling boil, I drop the temperature down to a simmer and let it go until the meat falls from the bone. Yes, boil the bone with some meat on it. The bone provides a bit more flavor.

Now it's time to chop all of the vegetables that will be going into the final sausage. Here I have chopped yellow onion, green onions (bottoms only), and garlic. This will be sauteed prior to mixing into the meat.

This next picture shows the parsley, green onion tops, and seasonings ready to use.

The meat is almost done, so I sauteed the vegetables that needed it. I saute until I just start to get a bit of caramelizing and then remove from the heat. I let this sit until completely cooled before use.

I strained the meat and veggies from the juice, removed the meat, tossed out the boiled up veggies, and then ground the meat with a 3/8 plate. I added the green onion tops at this time as well. This picture is an overall view of the ground meat and onion tops

At this point I measured out the amount of juice I needed for my rice and started cooking the rice so it would be cooled off when I got ready to mix it in.

Now it's time to get a bit messy. On top of the meat I add the sauteed veggies, chopped parsley, spices (mixed with a bit of juice to make a slurry), and finally the cubed Braunschweiger (room temp).

Now I just mix, mix, mix, making sure to squish everything really well to get a good distribution throughout.

Once mixed up I like to move all of the meat into a ball shape. Not sure this really does much for the meat, but it's easier for me to scoop it up to put into the stuffer. The 2nd pic shows the texture of the meat mixture.

After getting everything mixed well I add the rice and mix all over again to get everything distributed well.

Then you stuff it...

Hope this provided a little more help...

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 21:00

Hey hey CrankyChuck,
Great post! Great photos and clear instructions. Thank you so very much from all boudan lovers everywhere.
Only one problem... all those onions turned your hands blue! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 18, 2011 23:24

The recipe seems to be a balanced meal by itself. With what do you serve it?
Ross- tightwad home cook
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Tue Jul 19, 2011 01:29

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey hey CrankyChuck,
Great post! Great photos and clear instructions. Thank you so very much from all boudan lovers everywhere.
Only one problem... all those onions turned your hands blue! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Actually it wasn't the onions... It's garlic that closes up the blood flow into my hands... It's GOTTA be the garlic, been belching it since noon! :lol:

Charlie