Sauerkraut (Home Made)

uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Sauerkraut (Home Made)

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 02:32

(USA) Homemade Sauerkraut

With all this talk about franks and hotdogs on the site lately, it made me think sauerkraut :razz:
Anyone here venture into homemade sauerkraut? Just made a batch this evening and thought I would share this recipe. Yup it`s a stinky proposition but the end result, sure is good stuff!

Prepare 17 lbs of cabbage, remove outer leaves then cut cabbage into 4 quarters rinse to remove hidden dirt and drain. Weigh out 5 lbs of shredded cabbage, sprinkle with 3 Tbls of canning salt or purified salt and mix well to evenly distribute the salt and cabbage. Transfer the 5 lbs salt mixed cabbage into a crock or 5gal CLEAN plastic bucket, then mash the cabbage down with your fist, mashing down several times. Repeat with the next 5 lbs batch of cabbage, shredding, and salting then mash the cabbage down on the previous 5lbs in the container, until complete. You can make 5lbs small batch just follow the salt and mix procedure.
When complete with shredding, mixing and mashing, at this point the cabbage will have to be covered and weighed down. I use a 10lb barbell weight inside a plastic zip lock bag setting the weight on top of a plastic cheese colander, to weigh the whole thing down. Use a board or whatever fits inside the container.
Cover the top of the container with a towel or cheese cloth to keep out any dust or insects. Then store the container in a 70 degree room allowing the cabbage to ferment for 4 to 5 weeks.
During this time the sauerkraut will start to emit gas and foam will form on top as well as extra liquid. This has to be watched daily as the extra liquid and foam have to be removed or a mold can form and ruin the sauerkraut. If the liquid evaporates you can add extra tap water to keep the sauerkraut covered. A little cabbage juice or liquid should be left on top. Test the sauerkraut after a few weeks, to see if it is done to your liking.

Just a note: I use a cheese cloth to line the inside of the crock for easy sauerkraut removal and draining when the cabbage is done. I will also add a tsp of caraway seed to every 5 lbs layer of cabbage while mashing the cabbage.
In Germany they will simmer sauerkraut in a pan with a little chicken stock and brats until done, now were cooking :mrgreen:

Enjoy
Uwanna
Last edited by uwanna61 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 03:59, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 07:48

Thanks for posting this great information Wally. Terrific stuff! Yum :wink: The stuff really dresses up a hot dog eh? Somewhere over the years, I inherited one of those great big ol' stoneware crocks. It takes three men and a boy to lift the danged thing. Still makes great kraut.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:22

CW
I picked up a crock from our local hardware store that had them on sale, good buy. As for the recipe, just checking things out, thought maybe another member here would have an irresistible kraut recipe for me to try.
Chow
Wally
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 16:01

Hi Uwanna,
This is perhaps the best site I have come accross on the net http://www.wildfermentation.com/resourc ... sauerkraut
You can add some cracked pepper or juniper I like a bit of pepper and cumin.
Regards,
Maz. :smile:
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 17:49

Hi Maz
Thanks for the info. I did check it out the site, I guess be creative use your imagination. My next batch will be with a few added spices. I will give the pepper & cumin a try!

Chow
Wally
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Aug 21, 2011 00:03

Try some fermented dill pickles when you are between batches of kraut Wally. Cukes are pretty prime right now. Just finished a batch while waiting for the cabbage harvest around here.

Good homemade sauerkraut has many delicious uses indeed.

Dave
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 19:20

Dave
Never pickles, crap I don`t even have a garden, no time too many other things going on. Dave you`re from the north east, ever make dilly beans?
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Aug 21, 2011 23:31

uwanna61 wrote:Dave
Never pickles, crap I don`t even have a garden, no time too many other things going on. Dave you`re from the north east, ever make dilly beans?
Yes sirreee uwanna. The Mrs does the dilly beans. Just canned about 10 pints last weekend. Love em :mrgreen:
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 00:28

Dave
Yeah once I get started on the dilly beans, I can`t stop :mrgreen:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 02:45

Hi,
It might be a stupid question but what are "dilly beans" exactly.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28

crustyo44 wrote:Hi,
It might be a stupid question but what are "dilly beans" exactly.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Jan,
Dilly beans are green and/or yellow string beans that are are canned in a brine similar to dill pickles. We like to add a good amount of red pepper flakes to kick them up a notch.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Sauerkraut

Post by DLFL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 16:17

I started a small 2 lb. batch of Sauerkraut. This is test batch for me and I did not use any perfumes. I added 7/10 oz of pickling salt. I hope I figured the salt right.

32 oz x 2.25 % = .72 oz salt
Dick

Never quit learning!
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 01:09

Thats awesome Dick, I have not read that far into the book yet to verify your salt usage but look forward to some pictures.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Fri Mar 23, 2012 02:03

Dick,

I haven't gotten the book yet, but I'm interested in this. Last weekend I picked up 15# of some sweet cabbage from Texas. I was looking on the internet for a recipe to use what didn't get boiled for last weekends dinner. Last fall I put too much salt in and it wouldn't bubble. Had to toss the lot!

Jim
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Fri Mar 23, 2012 15:00

The info is available on wedlinydomowe without buying the book. The book is just the preserving food section in print from what I have seen so far comparing the two. Sauerkraut
Dick

Never quit learning!