Pressure canning cured and smoked pork

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Cooked ham, cured but not smoked

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 11, 2012 16:41

Had a smoker full this morning and some left over. So I decided to cook a piece in water. Just simmered for an hour or so to an IM of 166°.
and the cross section. Image
I used a mild cure 2% salt .3% cure#1 and 1% sugar I bit of molassas and a touch of hot water to make a slurry, rubbed over everthing.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 11, 2012 17:25

I also filled two pints and a half pint. Raw pack, cold jars, Packed as tightly as posible allowing one inch of expansion room at the top and processed 75 minutes at 10 psi at 450 feet elevation. Above 1000 feet the pressure should be 15psi.
These will be shelf stable for at least two years.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 21:48

Bee You Tee Full ! Nice work pal.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 11, 2012 22:40

Thank you.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Pressure canning cured and smoked pork

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 13, 2012 01:53

Recently I had a windfall of fresh pork butts. It has provided me with challanges and opportunity. The cure that I like is 1.8 percent salt .25 percent cure#1 and 1 percent sugar adding a touch of molassas and a bit of hot water to make a paste. This gets rubbed into all surfaces and bagged for two weeks with frequent massages. After two weeks it goes to the smoker. Yesterday I ran Bradford pear smoke for eight hours over a batch of pork butts.
This morning I put these into my oven at 170°F. and saved out some to can. Image
I cut and packed the still raw meat into half pint jars leaving an inch for expansion. Image
And processes them in a pressure canner for 75 minutes at 10 psig and 450 feet elevation. this is the finished product. Image
The rest of the meat spent most of the day getting hot I shut things down at 150°F. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 03:24

Dang! Wedliny Domowe has created a "Butt Monster" :lol: Ross ol' friend, that is amazing. It looks like a very good way to preserve meat. Have you tried some? I'm surely interested in knowing how it tastes and how the texture is. You've probably started a fad with those terrific photos. Another member, Steelchef, was canning meat a couple of years ago. I'm really curious about your curing rub. Do you mind if I ask where you got the recipe? It's very interesting. Keep up the good work my friend. You may have started something that will make you "infamous" :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 13, 2012 03:59

All of the dry cures and brines in the published works rely on an excess of salt and sodium nitrite for a relatively short period of time and then call for rinsing the excess away. I concluded that this was based on an archaic method before refrigeration was reliably available. If my meat will keep for three weeks at 34 degrees F. then I should be safe keeping the meat for a finite period with salt and sodium nitrite added. We know that the meat absorbs the salt and the nitrite and that it continues to migrate through the mass. Generally it is accepted to allow one week per inch. During the first week there is an accumlation of exudate in the plastic bag but during the second week it is reabsorbed. By the end of the second week there is no longer any exudate free in the bag and the surface of the meat is moist but not drippy wet. I move the meat straight to the drying rack in the smoker and allow the wind to blow across it for a couple of hours before I light the fire.
I use 2% salt as a starting point because that is an acceptable level in sausage, with poultry I use about 1.75% but hold with .3% cure #1 compensating for the salt. The sugar content is just a matter of taste and the molassas and water help in spreading and making it stick. I have been canning fresh meat for twenty years and this is my first venture into cured and cured and smoked.
I placed one of today's jars in the fridge over night to harden the geletin and in the morning I will open it and see how it displays , slices and tastes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 04:13

Well, I believe you've outdone yourself. I can't wait to see what your findings are in taste and texture. Please keep us up to date. Nice goin' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 13, 2012 16:32

I opened a jar this morning that had been refrigerated over night. Image
I sliced it. Image
The taste is very pleasing, it can easily be shredded with a fork. I will use it tonight in a dish of scolloped potatoes made with a light cheese sauce using pepper jack cheese.

Edit to add: the shrinkage was quite small compared to fresh poultry.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 13, 2012 16:46

Just had to cut a cross section on one of the chunks. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 14, 2012 02:52

Scalloped potatoes with canned ham and cheese sauce. Image