grinder upgrade

orf
User
User

grinder upgrade

Post by orf » Thu Nov 22, 2012 15:53

I'm looking to get a real grinder. I have a kitchen aid now and I made 50# of kielbasi,it took forever to grind it as I like to grind twice thru the same size plate. I'm looking at one from grizzley,here's a link. any comments are more than welcome.thanks,happy thanksgiving.orf...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Electri ... der/T24638
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Nov 22, 2012 17:56

I would go with the one that SausageMaker sells.
It's a great grinder and $20 less.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/6410610elec ... inder.aspx
Godspeed!

Bob
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Thu Nov 22, 2012 18:30

bacon,is this one that you have or just a recommendation.and do you know off hand how many #'s per minute? thanks orf...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 22, 2012 19:28

Don't be too consumed with the through put claims. just use them as a relative guide. For a given size and power rating the through puts should be quite similar.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 19:31

Orf,
I had several smaller models like the featured ones, after having continual hassles with them I finally decided on a small industrial one. I know that it is chinese made but it certainly is built like a truck. I have been very impressed by its performance. It will last three lifetimes!!!!!!!!!!!!
My advise would be to check around, expect to pay at least double of what you are looking at but you will be most impressed.
Good Luck Mate.
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 22, 2012 19:47

buying used is almost always good business.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Nov 23, 2012 02:15

orf wrote:bacon,is this one that you have or just a recommendation.and do you know off hand how many #'s per minute? thanks orf...
Yes, we have one at camp.

The grinding speed is going to depend on what exactly you are grinding and how it's prepped as well as plate size, etc.
I've never timed it.
It's certainly not a slow grinder by any means.

You can't go wrong with that grinder.
There are a lot of garbage grinders in that price range.
The one from SausageMaker has an aluminum auger, but with a steel center, others are all aluminum, so there's a big different in the quality.

It's a great grinder for the price.
Godspeed!

Bob
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 15:59

thanks for the reply.orf..
Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom J » Sun Nov 25, 2012 23:53

I don't know about LEM's smaller sizes grinders but, with my # 22 and there new Big Bite Agar using A 6 mm plate around 500 # an hour if the meat is cut and Jimmy Buffet doesn't stop by. The grinding head weigh alone weighs more than my old faithful with all the parts. Two Cons, the weight and $$$$$$. However with its 25 # tilt mixer, it put the fun back into sausage making. Also with A power foot switch ( on/off) and the big bite augur its once again A one person stuff'en event. Almost all air pockets are A thing of the past. Happy grinding, stuffing and smoking. Have A cool yule Y'll. Tom J
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 15:04

thanks for the replies but let me clarify. #'s per minute was just what I saw used for comparing different models per manufacture. I'm just looking for a quality grinder at a decent price, as I'm sure most of us are. I think I'm going to go with the sausagemaker model that baconoligist posted.thanks orf...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 27, 2012 19:34

Because my sausage batches are small, ten pounds or less and quite far between I use a hand cranked imported cast iron grinder that I am not thrilled will. Has anybody owned or used a choprite brand grinder?
Ross- tightwad home cook
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Tue Nov 27, 2012 22:13

ssorllih wrote:Because my sausage batches are small, ten pounds or less and quite far between I use a hand cranked imported cast iron grinder that I am not thrilled will. Has anybody owned or used a choprite brand grinder?
I have and use several antique Enterprise Nos. 10 and 12 in excellent condition and love them. I know ChopRite now makes the old Enterprise stuffers. Perhaps it makes their "meat choppers" as well.

I own several electric grinders and am never happy with their results. The hand grinders turn out a better grind and cardio exercise is never bad. I make small batches and learned long ago to quit hurrying through life.
Sausage King of Love County!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 27, 2012 22:25

I may get generous with my self and order a #12. I rather like the idea of bolting it down instead of clamping. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Tue Nov 27, 2012 22:34

ssorllih wrote:I may get generous with my self and order a #12. I rather like the idea of bolting it down instead of clamping. Thanks.
Merry Christmas!
Sausage King of Love County!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Nov 30, 2012 17:32

I'm in full agreement with Tom J. No matter what kind of power grinder you decide on get a power foot switch for on /off, it turns the entire process from work to fun. I've got the Cabelas 1hp commercial model and I'm pretty sure I could grind up a whole cow in about 45 minutes, tho I never make a batch of sausage bigger than 25 pounds in one day. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”