2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. white pepper
1 tsp. Prague powder #1
1 tsp. mace
1 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
1 cup ice water

Grind semi frozen meat through a fine plate Keep cold. Add spices and re-grind through a fine plate. In small batches of 1.5 lbs. put in a food processor with two ice cubes, blend until a smooth paste, and repeat until all meat mixture is emulsified.
Place in smoker at 130f for an hour to dry cases, increase to 150 f and apply smoke for 4 hrs., increase to 170 f and smoke until internal of 152 f. rinse with cold water then hang to bloom for and hour then to the fridge to chill out , package or eat.
Last edited by Big Guy on Sat Nov 04, 2017 15:07, edited 2 times in total.
Col. Big Guy
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sat Sep 14, 2013 01:24

CBG,

Looks beautiful. I like that it has minimal ingredients but the ones you listed sound just right. I need to minimize the amount of spices I use in my wiener recipe and yours may be the one to use. How do you like the ones in the collagen casings vs. the sheep?

I have the same Kirby emulsifier but find it difficult to emulsify more that 5 lbs at a time. How much are you doing per batch?

Finally, what wood are you using for the smoke? Thanks.
Rudy
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 01:44

That was a 15 lb. batch :mrgreen: I used cherry wood, the collagen cases are a little tougher than the sheep, but I like the bigger size.
Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 09:29

Another smash-hit Big Guy. Nice work! That is a beautiful product and I love the moisture in the texture.
PS.... Are the toes part of the mixture? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:49

Man those look good. I was under the impression that a good hot dog was a myth. How wrong I am. I had the same feeling about brats until I spent some time in Germany and made them myself.

have an adversion to hot dogs as I haver never tasted a good one (This shows me that there are some very good ones). The only ones I have tried have been anemic, chewy and tastless and have left me with a feeling of regret. Having said that when I have been in the states I have never tried one. The other day I was driving around a local industrial area. Outside a factory I saw a sign "Hot Dog Seconds". I have seen their excuses for hot dogs - would not touch em with a barge pole. If these are their firsts what the heck are their seconds like.

In NZ they have this thing called a Saveloy. I cannot describe how awful it is.

From a well known maker:

A blend of beef and lamb mildly seasoned with spices and cooked. An economical family meal. Can be simmered, barbecued, microwave or oven baked. Prepared in minutes, serve piping hot. A great favourite with the children. Best served with their favourite sauce.

Cooking Instructions
Bring the water to the boil, turn down to a slow simmer then add the Hellers Saveloy`s and heat through until hot. Do not re boil the water, as this will cause the skins to split.

Saveloys
Ingredients
Meat (66%) (Lamb, Pork, Chicken, Beef), Water, Wheat Flour, Starch, Salt, Mineral Salt (451, 500), Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (Soy), Antioxidant (316), Flavour Enhancer (621), Spice Extract, Natural Smoke Flavour, Emulsifier (433), Acidity Regulator (260), Sodium Nitrite (250), Flavour. Edible Casing : Colour (120, 172)
Nutritional Info
Energy (kJ) 963
Protein (g) 12.0
Fat - Total (g) 16.0
- Saturated (g) 8.0
Carbohydrate (g) 9.8
- Sugars (g) 0.5
Sodium (mg) 937
per 100g*

A smaller "all beef version"????!!!!!!!! is called a cheerio. I feel that these have long said good bye to good taste