Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 06:29

[USA] Chuckwagon`s "Outlaw`s Onion Sausage"
(Fresh-Type "Loose" Sausage)

2.2 lbs. (1 kg.) pork butt with 30% fat
18 g. salt
2.0 g. coarse ground black pepper
2.0 g. ground thyme
2 Tblspns. finely chopped onions
9.0 g powdered dextrose (or 1/2 tspn. sugar)

Grind the lean (pork butt) through a 3/8" plate and the fat (frozen) through a 1/8" plate. Over medium-high heat, slightly pan fry the onions in a non-stick skillet, adding a teaspoon of water. Stir the onions until the water has cooked away. Allow the onions to cool. (They should be barely translucent). When the onions have returned to room temperature, add all the remaining ingredients to the meat and fat mixture and fold until the ingredients are blended well together. Refrigerate overnight in a refrigerator to meld flavors and use within three days, or freeze any remaining sausage. Brown and use this "loose" sausage in gravy for "biscuits n` gravy" or your special spaghetti sauce.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Oct 10, 2013 03:59, edited 2 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Oct 03, 2013 16:46

Didja run outta sage, Wagon-Breath? :razz:

Actually, this looks good- - a little sweetness to balance the salt, a little sauté action to take away the onion "edge," and 30% fat to satisfy the arteries of the soul. ...even some thyme, to make the eater, uh, diner, believe he's herdin' cattle on the prairies near the western Mediterranean, or la Rive Gauche as the Seine flows onward into the western sunset. :lol: I kin see it now, boys- - spread that linen tablecloth over by the campfire, and lay the silver with service fer a demi-tasse so's we kin have some extra gravy. Attaboy, Chuckles! But don't step in thuh... UhOh.

Yee haw! Outta my way! I'm gonna whup up a batch rat now! Herdin' pigs in cattle country, I build up a powerful hunger for biskits -n- gravy.

Canard
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 01:21

Why, you primitive, pretentious, pato! You been drinkin` yer` own brew again? Of course it looks good! Because it is. It`s a sausage to be included in Project B2. Just preparing the project and getting ready to launch it. People will have to concentrate on making great sausage before learning how to stuff it in casings. It is an exercise for folks to get out their grinder, dust the danged thing off, clamp it to the breadboard, and learn about keeping meat and fat cold, cold, cold... while making sausage. This kilogram of "loose meat" is just right for sauces and gravy.
Oh yes, and 'jest don`t be concerned' with what I step in. It`s just a tip-toe through the tulips where I am located.
Duck, I worry about you. Who will ever straighten you out? Will you always be "affected"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Oct 04, 2013 03:07

One each, individual issue, M1A1 Bucket-O-Paint-Chips and a side of garlic butter, headed your way. You'll probably notice the familiar way that the effects affect your effective ...uh...
Somebody say Aack Flack? [looks greener than usual] ...be right back.
...sounds of retching, stage left, over by the tulips.
Whew. Must have been some Wagon fumes. Don't go steppin' round, over there, boys. They's somethin' way wrong, back there by the tulips. ...too strong for onions or garlic or both. Maybe it's ramps. (Allium tricoccum to you, ya ol' scien-tsk-tsk, you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
laripu
User
User

Re: [USA] Outlaw Onion Sausage

Post by laripu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 18:15

Chuckwagon wrote:Chuckwagon`s "Outlaw`s Onion Sausage"
Ah... I see. Onion Sausage as made by an outlaw.

See, when I saw the title "Outlaw Onion Sausage", I took that as a a request for people to support a law making Onion Sausages illegal. I was all set to learn what it is about Onion Sausage that made you hate it so. :roll:

Never mind. :razz:

:wink:
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Oct 04, 2013 20:37

Good point. Maybe we should outlaw Chuckwagon instead. :lol:

Naawww. Just kidding. (...I think.)
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Fri Oct 04, 2013 21:10

I'll have to pass on making the onion sausage CW. Onions are something I cannot bring myself to eat. Onion powder a permissible substitute?
Regards Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 08:40

Ursula, onions have been around almost as long as I have. Dating back to 3500 BC, our ancestors found they were one of the few foods that did not spoil during the winter months and it's likely they may have been growing wild on every continent although they're believed to have originated in Asia. Believing its spherical shape and concentric rings symbolized eternity, the ancient Egyptians worshipped the onion - the only vegetable they allowed to be represented in gold.

Trust your sniffer. All onions should smell mild, even if their flavor is not. Avoid selecting onions with green areas or dark patches and look for those feeling dry and solid all over, with no soft spots or sprouts. Their necks should be tightly closed and outer skins should have a crackly feeling and a shiny appearance.

Ranking sixth in vegetable production, almost ninety percent of the world's onion crop is devoted entirely to yellow onion production. Low in calories, high in Vitamin A, antioxidants and phytochemicals, they simply provide flavor in all types of cooking. Onions absorb moisture, and it's best not to store them beneath the sink. Potatoes, on the other hand, give off moisture and produce a gas that causes onions to spoil more quickly. Store them separately to keep them fresher longer.

Onions are found in three categories. The spring-summer type, grown in warm weather areas, has a soft flesh and a mild-sweet taste. Storage onions with firm flesh have dry, crackly outer skins and a pungent flavor. Pearl or white onions, are densely planted to make them smaller. Onions are also classified by color. Yellow onions are reliable for cooking almost anything, turn a rich, dark brown color when cooked, and give onion soup its tangy, sweet flavor. The red onion is best for grilling, charbroiling, and fresh salads. White onions are the traditional onion used in classic Mexican cuisine as they have a golden color and sweet flavor when sautéed. Small pearl onions make a great side dish when seasoned with thyme. Eaten raw or cooked, onions should be peeled and may be boiled, braised, baked, grilled, or sautéed. Use them to season stews, soups, tomato sauces, and vegetables or bake them with chopped vegetables and rice or breadcrumbs. Add crunch and flavor to dressings, relishes, and sauces or enjoy them on their own in sandwiches and salads.

Browning And Searing Food For Flavor

Caramelization is the oxidation of sugar. Used extensively in cooking, it gives food a wonderful nutty flavor and brown color. As the process occurs, volatile chemicals are released, producing a characteristic caramel flavor. When caramelization involves sucrose, it adds one water molecule to sucrose to split it apart to form fructose and glucose, increasing the mass of the sugar-caramel. In the process, hundreds of different flavor compounds are created. These compounds in turn break down to form yet more new flavor compounds. Each variety and type of food has a very distinctive set of flavor compounds. Chemist Louis Camille Maillard began investigating the break down of these flavor compounds beginning in about 1910. He found that when heated, amino acids are responsible for a large range of odors and flavors also - much like non-enzymes in caramelization. Although used by cooks since ancient times, the flavorful reaction of heating amino acids has been called The Maillard Reaction for nearly a hundred years. The caramelization of the sugars in onions are just plain magic!

Smilin` Jack`s "Outlaw`s Onions"
(Barbecued-Grilled Onions)

Here is one of the best-kept recipe secrets in the country. It`s an old outlaw favorite and our outfit wouldn`t dream of barbecuin` any meat without this tasty surprise for grilling greenhorns! As you prepare this simple dish, you`ll be surprised how apple juice, butter, and hickory smoke, fully develop the texture and caramelized flavor of sweet onions. In fact, you may find in spite of years of experience, many older folks have never tasted the mild onion essence created by such simple preparation. Many have tasted "barbecued onions" all right, smothered in all types of cheese or tomato-based sauces, yet have not sampled this delicate, light, recipe.

In eastern America, you`ll find the mild and magically sweet Vidalia onion in Georgia. In the west, the "Walla-Walla" onion is grown in the state of Washington. In the south, it`s the Texas Sweet! The secret of their sweetness is contained in the soil! These special onions get the job done with their high sugar content! If you are unable to lay your hands upon the Walla - Walla, the Texas Sweet or the Vidalia at various times of the year, use any large, sweet, white onion.

6 Walla Walla or Vidalia Sweet Onions (14-18 oz. each)
5 tblspns. butter (melted)
4 slices bacon
black pepper (freshly ground)
2 cups apple juice

Peel the onions and slice them laterally using four or five passes with a sharp knife only about 3/4 of their length. Turn the onions ninety degrees and make five more slices almost to the base of each onion. Inside a large black skillet (or open camping type Dutch oven), render the fat from the bacon by frying it lightly. Remove the bacon, place the onions into the drippings inside the skillet, brush on half the melted butter, add half the apple juice to the skillet, and bake them in hickory smoke for half an hour at 325 degrees F. inside a covered barbecue grill or smoker oven. Do not use lids on the skillet (or Dutch oven), allowing plenty of smoke to permeate the onions. Following the half-hour smoke-baking, open the slices a bit and brush in the remaining butter, adding the remaining apple juice to the skillet. Continue to cook the onions, basting them as often as necessary to keep them moist. Five minutes before serving, remove the onions from the skillet, placing them directly onto the hot grill over smoldering hickory coals. Spray or baste them with more apple juice until the onion slices start browning slightly. Serve them brushed with melted butter and freshly cracked peppercorns.

Powder Keg Onions
(Deep Fried "Bloomed" Onions)

4 large Vidalia, Walla-Walla, or Texas Sweet Onions

(Seasoned Flour)
2 cups flour
4 tspns. paprika
2 tspns. garlic powder
1/2 tspn. black pepper
1/4 tspn. cayenne pepper

(Beer Batter)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1-1/2 cup flour
2 tspns. garlic (minced)
2 tspns. paprika
1 tspn. salt
1 tspn. black pepper
24 oz. beer

Cut the ends from the onions, peel them, and slice each from the top into 14 or 16 vertical wedges, not cutting through the bottom root ends. Combine the ingredients for the seasoned flour and dip each onion into the mixture. Shake the flour well into the slices then remove any excess mixture. Mix the cornstarch, flour, and the seasonings until they`re well blended. Add the beer and continue to mix a batter. Dipping the onions into the batter, coat each thoroughly by separating the petals slightly.

Gently place each onion into deep-frying peanut oil pre-heated to 375 degrees F. After 1-1/2 minutes, turn the onions over and continue deep-frying for another minute and a half or until they become golden brown. Drain the onions on paper towels then serve them in individual small bowls, topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cayenne.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:07

CW,
You haven't swayed me one bit! :lol:
No onion will pass these lips.
Best regards Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:22

And now you, you, you... quacked up Duck, :roll:
You wrote:
Good point. Maybe we should outlaw Chuckwagon instead. Naawww. Just kidding. (...I think.)
Oh yeah!
Oh yeah?
Then you wrote...
...even some thyme, to make the eater, uh, diner, believe he's herdin' cattle on the prairies near the western Mediterranean, or la Rive Gauche as the Seine flows onward into the western sunset.
Did you know that the ancient Egyptians used thyme for embalming! I wonder if they tried it on fowl foul. Shucks duck, the middle-age Europeans put it inside their pillowcases to ward off nightmares. Seems they were bothered by images of ducks... everywhere... incommodious, difficult, nasty, troublesome ducks! :shock:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:28

Ursula, you wrote:
It's spring here, and I am flat out rebuilding the veggie garden and preparing for the planting.
Did you change your mind about planting all onions this year? :roll:
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:30

NO onions. (Dad got them all last year.) Eww!
More room for my tomatoes! :wink:
Ursula
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sat Oct 05, 2013 17:05

Will give it a try. My Dad was the only person who would take two thick slices of onion, put in two slices of bread and eat it. I don't remember what he put on it. Never seen anybody do that since. Died 1964.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 05, 2013 17:13

I love onion sandwiches. Spread the bread with mayo, salt and pepper the onion.
Ross- tightwad home cook
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Oct 06, 2013 09:41

um I love onions, but onions in sausages have never quite worked out for me. The taste is not quite me. Have tried dried, red, brown, shallots etc. The only thing that has worked is making liver sausage or poaching sausages in a stock that contains omion. We do not have the same choice of onions that you have. If I want a sweet onion I can oven roast them in foil or slowly pan fry them. Friends of mine think that I often think out of the square; well I obviously do not as I had not thought of cooking/softening them before using them in sausages. Tell me more.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime