Canada Goose Kiełbasa

redzed

Canada Goose Kiełbasa

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 07:40

A few days ago I made yet another sausage using Canada Goose breasts and pork. And this time, rather than using chilies, paprika, fennel and other spices, I made a basic farmer style sausage nicely flavoured with Polish favourites: garlic, marjoram, all spice and nutmeg. It is, however, Americanized a bit with the addition of skim milk powder and corn syrup solids (a la Rytek). I made a total of 10kg, comprised of 4.5kg goose breasts, 4kg class I pork, and 1.5kg back fat. I used the back fat because the goose breasts are all dark lean meat and the pork was very lean ham meat. The result was surprisingly tasty. The sausage is quite toothsome, brimming with robust classic flavours and you just can't leave it alone! I prepared the goose meat by cutting it into small pieces, trimming it of any fat, sinew, blood and ventricles. Two buckshot pellets were found and hopefully none found their way into the sausage. The goose meat was then soaked in cold salt water for a day. I also added a bit of baking soda as suggested by CW. The recipe is worth posting because I think it will work with any game meat.

Recipe for 1kg meat
500g goose breasts
500g fat pork trimmings
18g salt
2.5g finely ground black pepper
2g cure 1 (125ppm of nitrite)
1 gram dried marjoram
2g. all spice
1g nutmeg
2.5 g granulated garlic (or 7g fresh)
4g whole yellow mustard seeds
65g (1/2 cup) skim milk powder
60g (1/2 cup) corn syrup solids
Cure meat for 48 hours. Grind goose and fat pork through 6mm plate and lean pork through 10mm. plate. Add spices and an appropriate amount of water and mix well. Stuff into 42mm hog casings. Smoke with your favourite wood for approximately five hours, starting at 55° and gradually bringing the temp to 80°, until internal temp reaches 67°.

Last edited by redzed on Sun Aug 05, 2018 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Mar 30, 2014 14:55

Boy howdy Chris, that's some real fine looking rope sausage there! Sounds like if it were sliced into 1/2" pieces and micro-zapped warm and had a toothpick stuck in it it'd be real popular served with your favorite beer and some hearty mustard. Geez, that's make me feel like driving north after a stop-off to pick up a case of Rolling Rock, my favorite brew. From what we've been getting down here I thought it might be to rainy up your way to be doing any smoking. Nice piece of work! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 17:29

Wow Chris! Way to make a sausage! :wink: It looks terrific... and very appetizing. Have you got a name picked out for this creation? I'm going to try it as soon as the neighbor's goose strays into my yard :shock: (just kidding). I'll have to go shoot my own when they are in season. I barbecued my last one, but I think this year it will be made into your sausage. Thanks for sharing Redzed.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
bkleinsmid

Post by bkleinsmid » Tue Apr 01, 2014 15:59

I have a couple of wild turkeys to grind this morning......now I know what I will do with them. Those look great. Thanks for posting.....

Brad
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Apr 01, 2014 16:09

sawhorseray wrote:From what we've been getting down here I thought it might be to rainy up your way to be doing any smoking.

Despite what people think, it does not rain here all the time. :grin: And on the part of Vancouver Island where I live, we are in a bit of a micro climate, in that we get less rain than other parts of the island and half the rain that the City of Vancouver does. Vegetation is also unique here as evidenced by large growths of Garry Oak and Arbutus (Madrona) trees. But when it rains, it's no problem, I have a large overhang on the lower section of the house, so I can smoke anytime. In fact, it's good to have higher humidity for some sausages, so the rain helps.
Chuckwagon wrote: Have you got a name picked out for this creation?
Naw, we'll stick to Goose Kiełbasa. Can't call it Polish Goose Kiełbasa because of the skim milk powder and corn syrup solids. :cry: But, it's an exceptionally tasty sausage. :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Apr 01, 2014 18:15

bkleinsmid wrote:I have a couple of wild turkeys to grind this morning......now I know what I will do with them. Those look great. Thanks for posting.....

Brad
I'll bet turkey will be even better. Make sure you let us know how it plays out.
LOEBER74
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Canada Goose Kiełbasa

Post by LOEBER74 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 15:33

I was gifted 10kg of snow goose breasts this weekend and had to do something with them quick as they had started to thaw in transit. Turned them into this recipe. Thanks!! turned out great. Nice little kick with the addition of dried chipotle powder. 10kg of breast turned into 6kg of trimmed and cleaned meat. added 6kg of pork shoulder and finally ended up with 11kg of coil links.
redzed

Re: Canada Goose Kiełbasa

Post by redzed » Wed May 01, 2019 22:58

That's great. That goose meat does need a lot of spice to overtake that skanky flavour. I think sausage is the best thing you can make with wild goose. How about some pics?