Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 16, 2012 03:03

Nice looking work.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 05:27

Wow, I'll say it is. And Devo's bacon could make could make a vegetarian repent! Nice work boys.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon Apr 16, 2012 17:31

I got to stop looking here when I am hungry!!!!!!!!!!
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

counterfit pork

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 24, 2012 02:35

As I am brining a slab of bacon I decided to add a couple of chicken hams(thighs). after 48 hours I pulled them this morning and set them drying. This afternoon I gave them a couple of hours of mixed maple and oak smoke and then baked them for a couple of hours.
Nancy said that she was expecting chicken but got ham! Image Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Apr 26, 2012 03:13

Today I converted the second thigh to "ham" salad for lunch. It would be a fine way to make a "kosher" ham salad. An old friend was discussing the utility of chicken with us one night at dinner and Nancy remarked that you can do so many things with chicken and Sol responded that you can do everything with chicken. I am convinced that you can also do everything with pork.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 03, 2012 06:32

Topic split by Chuckwagon 05.02.12@ 23:28 See: "Wally's Perfected Prosciutto" at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=9547#9547
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:24

Hello all,
While I was waiting to get my project B equipment and get caught up on the first sausages of the project I decided to make up another batch of Canadian Bacon (or Cured Pork Loin as its called in some circles)

This is my second attempt at it and I used Chuckwagon recipe which is great if I don't say so myself. Do to time restraints I did a couple of things different. The first being, it was in the brine for 7 days instead of 5 days. After removing from the Brine and thoroughly rinsing I let it sit in the fridge over night before starting the smoking process. Smoke per his instructions and allowed to mature in the fridge overnight. The second thing I did different was to slightly freeze the loins before slicing.

I found that by doing this it sliced cleaner and easier on my small beginners slicer that I have. I also notice that the time needed to slice up both loins was reduced. Here are some pictures:
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Fried up a couple of pieces and the taste was great! Chuckwagon's got another keeper recipe that I will continue to make :grin:
Thanks,
John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 00:58

John ol' pard,
You are gettin' so good at this business that you might go to work as a sausage maker in some big supermarket. That pork loin is just outstanding! Put a slice in a baggie and keep it cold while you take it to your local butcher. Have him taste it while you wait to see his reaction. He will probably hire you on the spot! :mrgreen: Keep up the good work pal. Are you about ready to start on the Casabai sausage?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

MORE Bologna....

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Oct 02, 2012 19:50

So I had a chance to make some more bologna this past weekend- something my boys have been clamoring about for some time. It's the same recipe I've used in the past ( a modification of the Poli recipe) with just a bit more salt this time, and I decided to make smaller chubs versus the larger 4"+ diameter chubs I've done before.

Ground up some pork butts and had some lean ground beef to use. The usual list of bologna ingredients, using a 50% beef & pork mix:

After mixing all the ingredients, I re-ground (2nd grind) the batch through a FINE late (3.0) in order to achieve a smooth, fine texture in the final bologna. This mix will sit in the fridge overnight before I start the stuffing process...

NEXT DAY: I used some summer sausage fibrous casings I picked up on my last trip to the Cabela's outside of Reno. They hold about 3.3 lbs fully stuffed. Had just enough leftover to make a mini-chub ("chubbette"?

I hung the chubs in kitchen & put the big floor fan on 'em to blowdry them before I hung them in the smoker.

COLD-SMOKIN':
After about an hour, I hung the dry chubs in the smoker. Using "Pitmaster Blend" pellets in the A-Maze-N smoker, I'll hang these for about 4 or more hours of heavy smoke before I finish them in the poacher.

FAST-FORWARD: So after 5-1/2 hours of cold-smoking, I pulled the hanging chubs. Here they are just prior to removing them. The pellets are just about expired:

The chubs get plunked into the basin of hot water (167°) in my turkey roaster. Temp probe inserted into one.

The top is placed on the roaster/poacher. I'm keeping an eye on both the water temp (dial thermometer) and the IT of the chub (Maverick). I estimate it should take about 30 minutes or so to reach 155.°

After 35 minutes of poaching, the Maverick indicates 155° so I pulled the chubs from the hot bath & plunged them into an ice bath for a quick cool...

SLICED: I normally wait 24 hours or so before slicing-this gives the chub a chance to firm up and dry out a bit-but I gave in to temptation and sliced a few to sample. The texture came out nice and the flavor is very good! My son thought it was great fried up!

Kevin

Here's a few thick slices-still moist, but peeled & ready to go! A few days in the fridge & the chubs will continue to firm up nicely & absorb some of the evident moisture.
I look forward to some FRIED bologna! :mrgreen:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 03, 2012 05:38

I swore off supermarket bologna years ago, but would certainly not turn down a slice of yours.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 06:06

Kevin, another great project...
But I must say, your narration and PHOTOGRAPHY are most professional. You've got the knack for photography pal. I'm sure the camera makes a lot of difference, but still... there's a lot of talent for taking shots like that. Some of your work should be published. Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Feb 26, 2013 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Oct 03, 2012 14:42

Thanks, CW! Much of my photographic success is certainly not due to my own photographic skills, but the near-infallibility of my wife's camera. It makes capturing the whole process of making sausage SO much easier.

Red- Home-made bologna is considerably different from the pink, smooth supermarket stuff. It's much more reminiscent of the quality meat product one used to get a the local butcher shops: freshly-sliced with better texture and meatier & tangier flavor.

Kevin
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 22:55

Kevin,
I'm just curious. Do I detect a phosphate in the sausage or is it just me? I didn't see it in your list of ingredients. Not being critical by any means. Just curious. :mrgreen: The texture is marvelous!

Hey Pastor, do you think Noah had a good summer sausage to munch on while he built the ark? Much later, the early Romans preferred lots of garlic in theirs. Can't you just imagine Noah sitting in the shade, eating lunch with his boys - slicing off some good "yet to be" alysandra or genoa. :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Oct 04, 2012 00:38

Nope, no phosphates nor ay other items that aren't pictured in the first photo.
I sliced the one chub immediately after the poach & ice-bath so the meat was nice & juicy in appearance. Managed to get a nice even texture too, with only a 'few' small pockets of air.

Re: Noah
Well, considering it took him about 100 years to finish the ark, he obviously had plenty of time to properly 'age' his salamis.
:wink:

Kevin
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Mo' Canadian Bacon

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Feb 24, 2013 23:25

I picked up several large pork loins a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to prep some to make more canadian bacon.
First thing to was to cut up manageable sections on the long loin pieces, trim off some of the fat & silver skin. I could've spent much more time trimming off most of the fat, but I was a bit tired, in a hurry, and well, they looked okay with the trimming I did.
About 8.5 lbs went into a brine containing salt, sugar, real maple syrup, black peppercorns, allspice and cure#1.

After nearly six days in the brine, it's time:

I drained the loin pieces several times; soaked in ice water for a hour or so, rinse & repeat. I sliced up a sample to fry & taste test. Good results! Nice balance of sweetness & saltiness.

Got the batch 'netted up' & hung overnight in the other fridge to help in the drying out process (pellicle formation). Bacon hangers come in handy...

Next day: Into the smoker.
Using hickory dust. I expect this will be an all-day affair. Started at 130°F & will gradually up the temps over the course of the day.

Eight hours in, with plenty of smoke over that time. I'l raise the temps to 180° & pull this batch when it hits the desired IT.

Well, it wound up taking about 11 hours for the bacon to finally hit the 152°F mark in the 175°F smoker. So late last night, I hung the bacon back in the fridge to firm up.

Bright & early this morning, it's finally BACON TIME.
My son and I both had an early morning breakfast (he works on the facility team at our church. 4:30 AM start time on Sunday). Some home-made waffles with some lightly-fried canadian bacon, real maple syrup = a GREAT start to the day!

The CB really came out nice! The loins are quite firm with a slightly dense outer skin; quite smokey (especially the end cut!) with a wonderful balance o' sweet & salty; hint of maple, too.
In hindsight, I could've spent some more time trimming some of the excess fat on the loins (& make 'em look 'prettier'), but overall, I'm quite happy with the results.

Kevin