Taylor's Ham (aka Pork Roll)

Butterbean

Re: Taylor's Ham (aka Pork Roll)

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 07, 2019 00:20

If you had fat around the meat inside the casing then I would think either your smoker got to hot or your water bath was too hot. Either way, somewhere along the line it got to hot and rendered the fat making it a liquid and it congealed when cooled. Easy enough to do and easy enough to fix. Check your thermometers or even use two of them to be sure. Looks great anyhow.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 07, 2019 00:34

Your always going to get a bit of a greasy layer but as BB said It may have gotten a bit too hot....Douse look good!

The Ingredients called for smoked bacon did you use pork belly? That would make a big difference in the taste.
BBQBob
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BBQBob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 13:51

Butterbean, thanks for the reply! The poach may have been too hot. It was 160 before I put them in and bumped up the heat while they poached. Plus they shrunk when I pulled them. Out of the smoker they looked great.

Bob K, thanks for the reply. Yes, I used pork belly. I remember read you said if one was using smoked bacon there's no need to smoke. Figured I get the bellies since I wanted some smoke on them.
They looked and tasted just like Taylor Ham. Just the ECA had it some tang. Would love a bit.
And thank you!
25 years ago I use to smoke pot. Now I smoke pork.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 04:20

Hey Bob those sausages do look good when sliced. Nice colour and good meat and fat distribution. I agree with other comments that at some point the temp was too high and you had "fat out". This might have happened already in the smoker, judging by the colour of the chubs in the picture. It also appears that there is uneven heat distribution in your smoker, so it is very important to move the sausages around a couple of times during the smoking process. Next time smoke the sausages at 135-140 for about three hours, or until they take on a nice colour. Don't worry about the IT at this point. Finish by poaching by placing in 180F water. The temp will drop to 170 almost immediately and poach at that temp until an IT of 152. If you do that, you have a perfect Taylor's roll!
BBQBob
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BBQBob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 20:54

redzed thank you! Notes have been taken on your comment! Thanks for the reply.
25 years ago I use to smoke pot. Now I smoke pork.
Hankus

Post by Hankus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 15:56

Looks great will try this in time.
Thanks for posting with perfect directions
Thanks
Hankus :D
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Wed Sep 22, 2021 02:03

I made this Taylor Ham before embarking on our 2 month RV trip and it is amazing! I also made some German Baloney, Cooked Salami and some smoked breakfast sausage. Good stuff to take camping.
V465
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 25, 2021 15:00

Yup, Taylor ham is great to have for sandwiches. I've never made it but often make a version of a Polish "kielbasa kanapkowa", that is similar. A two month RV trips sounds like like a great adventure! Beat my travel this summer by a long shot. We managed to take our travel trailer out for a single 8 day trip.
Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Sat Sep 17, 2022 19:47

BBQBob wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 00:09
...I added the spices and mixed. Divided into two 10 lb batches and added the cultures. Stuffed and hang while FURN (my smoker) warmed up. At 150° I added the chubbs to FURN. 3 hrs later the reached 125°. Out of the smoker and into the 160° poach. 40 minutes later at 153° into the ice bath then into the fridge for a rest overnight. Next day, sliced some up and the family loved them. We all agreed that the ECA was the better of the two. I used 24g. Next time I will bump up to 30g for a little more tang.
Hey I didn't see anyone comment about this... the fermented version with a culture, you have to actually let it ferment! At least overnight, if not several days! You just added culture and cooked it, so of course there was no fermentation or tang in that batch.

Taylor has 1.5% residual sugar left, which tells me they start at over 2%. A 1% dextrose starter in pork can give around 4.1 to 4.3 ph. Also Taylor uses cure2, a nitrAte and Nitrite mix, as well as an accelerator sodium ascorbate, per their label. These 2 ingredients are kind of contradictory, as nitrAte is for long ferment then ageing, usually 14 days or so. But the sodium ascorbate is for fast cure, and for color setting. In any case, that all adds up to at least 24hrs ferment with a fast culture, or more likely a slower ferment and several days at 52f or so.

Pictures look great, just wanted to point out why the cultured one didn't do well in the taste test.
Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Sat Sep 17, 2022 20:24

Wow the edit interval is super short here, it wouldnt let me edit. So kinda a repeat with more info:
BBQBob wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 00:09
...I added the spices and mixed. Divided into two 10 lb batches and added the cultures. Stuffed and hang while FURN (my smoker) warmed up. At 150° I added the chubbs to FURN. 3 hrs later the reached 125°. Out of the smoker and into the 160° poach. 40 minutes later at 153° into the ice bath then into the fridge for a rest overnight. Next day, sliced some up and the family loved them. We all agreed that the ECA was the better of the two. I used 24g. Next time I will bump up to 30g for a little more tang.
Hey I didn't see anyone comment about this... the fermented version with a culture, you have to actually let it ferment. It doesn't look like poster did, just the time to heat a smoker to 150f. Most cultures need at least overnight, if not several days. I think he used LHP culture. You just added culture and cooked it, so of course there was no fermentation or tang in that batch.

From the LHP page at thesausaagemaker dot com,
"This culture causes the meat’s pH to drop to under 5.0 in 2 days. Great for thin products like pepperoni. Extra-Fast culture targeted for fermentation temperatures 80°F-100°F (drying is done at lower temps.) Typically, the use of this culture is for products needing about 3 weeks or less to complete."

Glad to hear the ECA one turned out well! I think that is what most folks will try making instead of the fermented one.