Taylor's Ham (aka Pork Roll)

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 31, 2018 21:25

Bob K wrote:
bobrap wrote:How long should they hang before poaching?
With ECA you can poach right away
I would hang at room temp for a couple of hours so that the nitrites are absorbed by the meat and the sausage sets. The ECA of course will not acidify the sausage until heated.
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Mon Dec 31, 2018 21:42

OK, thanks. My concern now is I have to leave the house and the poaching temp is 137. Was hoping I could take them out and finish poaching tomorrow. Yes/no?
SMR
User
User

Post by SMR » Mon Dec 31, 2018 23:16

Hi Bob, I would leave the casing on to allow the pork roll to set. It may fall apart if you take the casing off before poaching. I dont think you would have an issue poaching tomorrow. Never did it myself, but a night in the fridge couldnt hurt in my mind.
SMR
User
User

Post by SMR » Mon Dec 31, 2018 23:19

Just saw Bob K's response. Certainly defer to his wisdom on these matters. I know for sure your Philly friends will be impressed with the recipe!
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Tue Jan 01, 2019 16:26

Thanks for all the help. Hope everyone had a good New Years. Started 2019 off with a nice breakfast of eggs, Taylor Ham (I'm from north Jersey, lol) and coffee. Must say I'm not at all disappointed with the ham. Not quite as salty and tart as store bought, but, that could be a good thing. Any other thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. Hope it was alright to post in this thread instead of a new one. Thanks again!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jan 01, 2019 16:35

You can always adjust recipe to taste.... I would also urge you to try the fermented version.
bobrap wrote:do you think it's best to leave the fibrous casing on or off when vacuum sealing for storage.
Remove casing and wipe off or is will be greasy. It also stores vey well frozen, I slice, portion, vac seal and freeze.

Any pictures of the T.Ham?
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Tue Jan 01, 2019 17:32

Ended up with two chubs. Sliced the smaller one already. Seems ok. The vac bag sprung a small leak while poaching. Big one was ok. Having a cup of coffee to contemplate on the finished product and any future tweaks. Down to the boozer this afternoon to pass out some to my yankee friends (living in TN) and see what their recommendations are. Try to post a few pix in a minute.
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Tue Jan 01, 2019 19:46

I think this image might be way too big.

Preview looked huge!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jan 01, 2019 20:17

Looks Fantastic, nice job!!
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Tue Jan 01, 2019 20:37

Thanks. It means a lot coming from you guys!
SMR
User
User

Post by SMR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 18:54

Excellent Job! Looks good and juicy. Hope your NJ friends appreciated the quality.
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:39

Thanks. Everyone thought is was good. One Philly old timer thought maybe a little tarter. Not knowing much about ECA, I wouldn't know how much to add to make it "a little" more tart. Definitely going to do this again. Maybe I'll try the fermented version if I can figure it out. :grin:
SMR
User
User

Post by SMR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:10

Len Poli's website describes how to use a culture in the recipe.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/New ... rkRoll.pdf

This is the recipe I followed when I made my batch.
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Thu Jan 24, 2019 21:48

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot.
BBQBob
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Taylor's Ham (aka Pork Roll)

Post by BBQBob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 00:09

Hey gang!
I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I figured it's Taylor Ham so I'd post here instead of starting another thread.

I've been lurking around the past month doing a lot of reading and came across this and said, Bob, you have to make this.
After ordering stuffs, I got the meats, cut and grind them up. I made 20 lbs cause I wanted to use both LHP, from Len Poli recipe and ECA from NorCal Kid recipe. I added the spices and mixed. Divided into two 10 lb batches and added the cultures. Stuffed and hang while FURN (my smoker) warmed up. At 150° I added the chubbs to FURN. 3 hrs later the reached 125°. Out of the smoker and into the 160° poach. 40 minutes later at 153° into the ice bath then into the fridge for a rest overnight. Next day, sliced some up and the family loved them. We all agreed that the ECA was the better of the two. I used 24g. Next time I will bump up to 30g for a little more tang.

Two things happened and I wonder this they happened to anyone else.
One, after the poach, they shrunk up a bit in the casings.
Two, after removing the casings the next day, the meat had some solidified fat around them. I used the back of a knife to scrap it off. No biggie.

I would like to thank everyone involved with this site! I posted a few weeks back I became a member back in 2011. Then I got cold feet when i started reading about dry curing. I have made my share for fresh sausage with brats being my killer sausage thanks to this site. Now with wiith the knowledge of this site and Marianski, The Art Of Making Fermented Sausages book, I'm ready to tackle dry curing sausage.

25 years ago I use to smoke pot. Now I smoke pork.