First Buckboard Bacon

Should I make bacon out of both or pulled ham with 1?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 22, 2013 15:04

All Bacon
25%
Ham and Bacon
75%

Total votes: 4
RLH3

Post by RLH3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 07:21

ssorllih wrote:
RLH3 wrote:
fagesbp wrote:I did the cure by percentage of green weight. 1.7% salt, 1% brown sugar, .2% cbp, 156 ppm cure.
What is cbp?
The only reference I could find on line was for chronic bacterial prostatitis. Just use cure#1
I did some more searching to try and answer my own question, and I figured it out. My google-fu must have been strong today. CBP is "Crushed (or cracked) Black Pepper." Mystery solved.

Of course the other option was "Customs and Border Protection," but somehow I did not think that they would appreciate being an ingredient in bacon....
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Jul 09, 2013 09:51

That looks good. What is buckboard bacon? Is it bacon made from the shoulder or?

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:58

Buckboard bacon is made from the butt.

I tried Ross' skin side slab from the butt a few weeks ago. 2.5% salt, 2% brown sugar, 0.25% cure 1 for 8 days in the fridge. I then tried my first ever cold smoke using a tin can full of hickory and a soldering iron in my smoker. Cold smoked 3 sessions of 4-5 hours each after work. The outdoor temperature was around 90* F and the smoker never raised above that temperature. Rested for 3 days in the fridge after the smoke and then enjoyed the BEST bacon I ever made or tasted.

I don't know if it was the meat, the perfect percentages for my taste, or the cold smoking, but this will forever be my go to bacon. Far better than belly bacon without question.

Thanks for the tips Ross :) . Now that I have a better feel for the ingredients and their respective percentages for my taste, I'm a happy fella.

Dave
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 30, 2013 13:54

Dave, I am so pleased that this worked well for you. I have found the method and the meat to be very forgiving.
Ross- tightwad home cook