More country hams

Butterbean

More country hams

Post by Butterbean » Thu Apr 11, 2013 00:36

Just finished the salt equalization of some hams I've been dry curing. I'm going to go ahead and stick them in the smokehouse before aging while the weather is cool. I hope to lay some good smoke on them and then hang to age. As long as the temp doesn't get above 95F I shouldn't harm the aging process. Its in the low 80's now and is cooling down for the night. Hopefully by morning they will have a nice coat of smoke on them. Or, that's the plan anyway.

I should have all this already done but I got a little busy and couldn't get to the pigs and while my back was turned they kept eating and kept getting bigger and bigger.

Here's a picture of what they looked like before they volunteered for kitchen duty. I haven't a clue what they weighed but it was heavier than normal.

Here are the hams fixing to go in the smoke house. They were nearly 40 lbs each after curing.

Also, note the white mold on the cut flesh. Last year after sanitizing the walk in cooler I decided to try an expirment and spray the inside down with good mold. My thought was if bad mold can infect an area then good mold should do the same. Don't know for sure if this mold on the hams is the same as I sprayed but it does look like the experiment worked.

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Apr 12, 2013 00:53

Boy howdy, those hogs look gorgeous, nice job! I'd think a small-caliber bullet right behind the ear when snacking would lead to a stressless end and not damage the jowls. Maybe park their car at the airport. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 01:07

Nice pictures! Please keep us posted and entertained with the visuals.

Going off to Placerville (Sierra foothills) to get my first 2 pigs on Saturday. Pretty excited about it.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:17

Its amazing how much stuff you can get out of a pig. They are amazing animals for sure. Will you be doing them yourself or have you got some help?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 22:24

I've got lots of help with these two. A freind of mine is coming with me, though these are just 6-week-old piglets. We're bringing a dog crate for transport. They are mangalitza-tamworth crosses. But don't ask me what I'm paying! :shock: I had to look high and low to find non-commercial type breeds not selling for a fortune, as they have become very trendy. These 2 will be for my god-daughter to raise and for me to eat. She (my friend's daughter) is in the FFA program at her high school. She will raise them and I will pay all the expenses, and she will make a little money. It is my responsibility to slaughter and butcher them after her project is over. She has no interest in eating them. :mrgreen:

I've slaughtered and butchered wild pigs before, as they used to waltz onto our property and dig up our corn. And I've done other animals (too many chickens!). But the wild pigs were a long time ago, so this feels like a fresh adventure. I'm also setting up for raising pigs at home. Not quite done with that. Been experimenting with growing fodder from barley - pretty darn interesting. Our chickens and pony love it - assuming our pigs will too...someday when I raise them here.

Really looking forward to growing some quality meat.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 13, 2013 17:41

Sounds like a good project.

If I could offer a suggestion, I'd suggest going by a hamburger joint and asking for their used pickle buckets. They will normally give these to you and they are food grade with good lids. I'd get about four of these so when you slaughter them you seperate the caul fat and the other things into each bucket because when you are working on the animal you will be tempted to just bin these things and there is a fortune of good stuff inside the belly. As you sort out the stuff you can dump ice in the buckets if you don't have cooler space. Cleaning the casings is only nasty for a minute or so. After that, its short work. Oh, best to withhold feed for a day or so before slaughter cause this will make the job easier.

If you do this it will give you some breathing room cause its pretty hectic till you get the animal broken to where you want it.

Good luck with it.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 03:06

Thanks - great advice and I will take it. Got the pigs today - they look lively and strong.