Check out my first smoked bacon

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Check out my first smoked bacon

Post by king kabanos » Tue Jun 18, 2013 19:09

my first smoked bacon using pops brine

i took off the skin becuase when i fried a piece it was hard to chew. in the picture that i have it is still on but should have took it off before smoking it so the side without the skin would have been smoked now i only have one side thats smoked do you guys think that will be a problem?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 19:41

Skin off or on is only a personal preference. I like it "skin off" for the reason you mentioned.
The bacon pieces look good, enjoy them.
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jun 18, 2013 19:48

KK your bacon looks great. The skin will always be tough and is removed before slicing the bacon. Smoke will have permeated the entire piece, so you don't need to worry about one side being under smoked. In fact, it is preferable to smoke ham and bacon with the skin on since it improves the flavour and prevents the pork from drying. I always save the smoked bacon skins and my wife covers cabbage rolls with them in the roasting pan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jun 18, 2013 20:14

I like to leave the skin on and as I slice bacon with a knife I don't slice through the skin and separate the slices from the rind as I use them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 07:56

Cograts KK,
First class job and the color is just gorgeous. Nice n' smoky, it's a beautiful product. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Jun 19, 2013 09:17

That looks very good. It took three attempts before I got the flavour I was looking for. The first two were sooooo salty and tough. They were only good for the shoe soles.

Do you like the bacon flavour, the aroma. I bet it is better than anything that you have bought from your local supermarket.

I leave the skin on. I find that it makes it easier to slice. I use the skin when I make Santa Fe slow cooked beans or cassoulet.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime