Need help with brine!!! smoking first picnic sholder

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Need help with brine!!! smoking first picnic sholder

Post by king kabanos » Sat Sep 21, 2013 19:04

i just bought a bone in pork shoulder bone in picnic and want to smoke it and then put it inro a hot water bath method then shower with cold water BUT dont have a brine recipe. I want to inject the picnic and then place it in the leftover brine. it is a 10 and half pound shoulder picnic. Can anyone please share a recipe for a good brine for that amount of meat. Also i am thinking of removing the bone from the picnic and making it boneless but dont know if i should since it is my first time. should i remove it or no?
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Sep 21, 2013 19:19

You might try CW's Pork Loin recipe http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... =pork+loin
if that's to your liking. Look it over. ...looks pretty straightforward.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 21, 2013 21:55

Removing the bone will reduce the chance of bone sour and also reduce the curing complications. After it is cured it can be rolled and tied before smoking.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 00:02

Daniel, ol' pard,
Ross is right. Remove the bone for better results. See this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6769

Say hey, "the Duck" dug up a good ol' recipe of mine. Thanks Duckarooney! It will work like a charm. Heck, I've even used it on DUCKS! Heh, heh, heh! :shock: (woo-woo my fanny!) I just might use it again real soon on ANOTHER DUCK! :twisted: (aarrgh!)

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 22, 2013 02:36

Pay no attention to those massive formations of ducks gathering out over the Great Basin. They are only there for annual readiness exercises. ...especially those carrying large, cylindrical-shaped objects. Those are... uh... snack tanks. Right. ...filled with my latest run of Kabanosy. You know- - for the flight south, for the winter. We are only eying the Salt Lake north shore area as a possible source of brine. (This IS a brining topic thread, right?) (Of course right.) Contrary to rumors, there will NOT be practice bombing runs in northern Utah, despite the issuance of GPS coordinates to the contrary. This is NOT a drill... uh... oops! Please`disregard this missile. ...uh, missive.

Quack!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:47

Topic Split 092313@12:42 by CW - See:"How To Bone A Boston Butt" in the "Smoked Pork Products" forum at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6769
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D