on a dry cure or a brine. first time doing this so any ideas or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.
thx
ps and favourite recipe
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Mar 10, 2016 04:39

I use good quality pork belly for my cured bacon, and I use the dry cure method, which generates liquid as it cures. Easy to do, and works very well and delivers a consistent cure.

I use 2%-2.5% sea salt and 0.25% cure #2, plus whatever spices and sugars you want to use. I use a handful of brown sugar per bag (about 2lbs of raw pork belly) plus a sprinkling of cinnamon, and a splash of mape syrup (optional)
Or you can use a handful of maple sugar, or any variety of spices/blends.

Sprinkle the salt/cure #2 on both sides, add your sugar(s), cinnamon, etc., and seal in a ziploc bag. Cure for 10-14 days in your refrigerator, massaging and flipping the bag periodically (every few days).

After 10-14 days the meat should have firmed up significantly. Rinse off the cure under running water, cold smoke (optional), partially freeze and slice to desired thickness.

That's it. Nothing special. I make a variety of spice blends to cure my bacon with. Savory, curry, sugar, maple, etc. The one constant is always the 2-2.5% salt + 0.25% cure #2.

Enjoy!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Mar 10, 2016 13:55

I use the brine method and follow Ryteks recipe that CW has posted here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4906
I use plenty of pepper but you can be creative and try different spices.

Jason-
Canadian bacon (made from loins) is called back bacon in Canada!
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Mar 10, 2016 14:27

Ahhhh! Canadian bacon for us US folks! Got it!
udaman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by udaman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 02:01

thx guys, i did see the one from cw
that looks great.
so u need to let it stay in the brine for 5 days?
then do u smoke it, and at what temp?
also would u add any other spices or just follow the recipe?
thx
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 11, 2016 07:33

Hi udaman,

Take a peek at two recipes prepared by Stan Marianski here:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... n-canadian
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... oin-smoked

This my recipe since I like the flavour of rosemary and garlic.

Make enough brine to cover the loin.
2l water
200g salt
100g sugar
3 tbs. cure 1
3 good sized smashed garlic cloves
about 6 sprigs of rosemary
small handful of whole peppercorns
about 15 crushed uniper berries

Bring all the ingredients, except the nitrite, to a boil and turn off heat. Let cool to room temp, strain and place clear brine in fridge to cool. When brine cools to 40F, add the cure and dissolve thoroughly, pump the loins to 10% of weight. (I really did not weigh the meat just gave each about 4 shots :grin: ) Cover meat with brine, cover and cure in fridge for 4-5 days, turning it a couple of times. When finished curing, rinse and let loins stand in cold water for one hour. Remove from water, allowing it to drain off the meat and place into the fridge overnight. The next day net or tie the loins, dry at room temp for a couple of hours (a low speed fan helps). Hang in preheated smoke house (to 150F), turn heat down to 120 for one hour (no smoke), dampers fully open. Smoke for a couple of hours at 135, then for a couple of hours more at 155. Finish by poaching to an IT of 152. I don't fry my back bacon, prefer it as cold cut. But if you want to fry it, you can take finish it at 140-145.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:11

2% salt, 0.25% cure #1 additional spices of your choice but keep it simple

14 days in cure then lightly rinsed under tepid water then you can either cold smoke or hang to age/mature for no less than 3 days 7+ is much better

The end result -- this one was not smoked

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:49

Speaking of cheap pork loins they are on sale this week for 1.49 lb :!: They are becoming my favorite for making salami as there is little if any trimming and almost no waste. Heck they are cheaper than boston butts at this time.

Has anyone dry cured one lightly flavored, more along the lines of a ham or a cutello? Or even cold smoked.

Very nice Robert. Is that a custom cut of loin?
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 19:28

Bob K wrote:Speaking of cheap pork loins they are on sale this week for 1.49 lb :!: They are becoming my favorite for making salami as there is little if any trimming and almost no waste. Heck they are cheaper than boston butts at this time.
Loins up this end tend to be more expensive than buts, and all depending on the time of year legs cheeper than butts -- once in a blue moon loins might be cheep

On a side note myself personally I would never use loins for making salame unless a specific recipe called for it same with legs --- more flavour in shoulder meat :)
Has anyone dry cured one lightly flavored, more along the lines of a ham or a cutello? Or even cold smoked.
Loins I do (Charcuterie) is normally in the style of Lonzino -- I use Orange & Fennel as the main stay of the flavourings but often change it up

I do Belfast hams (boneless legs cured and hot smoked) from the top and bottom round off the legs which leaves me with a lot of nuggets so I normally turn them into Fiocco di Culatello or Balles di Jambon

Loins are sometimes cured and cold smoked for a traditional English bacon

Very nice Robert. Is that a custom cut of loin?
Yes.

As some know my history know that I work the trade and am fortunate to be able to buy direct from the slaughterhouse -- a lot of times I break down the pigs to get things that the slaughterhouse cannot do (cost effective)
udaman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by udaman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 19:15

sorry been away for a while..
Redzed i made your recipe, turned out
amazing, thank you..
i rolled it in cornmeal, then smoked half and kept the other half
fresh, fed some to
family and they loved it.
now i have orders for more..ha ha
thx agin for all the help